WTF in America

Old Feb 23rd 2020, 3:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by robin1234
Not really a “wtf” though, as he was enjoying his freedoms, pursuing the American dream etc. I have to say, that bbc article is brilliant, in a sneaky way, as it rolls out every moronic “pursuing his dream” type cliche...
I'm a bit surprised that these much vaunted freedoms include being permitted to DIY a rocket and launch it.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 3:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm a bit surprised that these much vaunted freedoms include being permitted to DIY a rocket and launch it.

I'm ok with the lunatic flat-earthers being allowed to kill themselves though. It's the killing of other people I object to.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 3:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I'm ok with the lunatic flat-earthers being allowed to kill themselves though. It's the killing of other people I object to.
On that, I'm sure I heard some kids squealing on the video. Hey kids, today we're going to see someone launched in his own home made rocket, he'll probably die and the rocket might fall on your heads but it'll be fun!
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 4:00 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose. I was standing in front of the Hotel de Paris, in Cromer, Norfolk yesterday and looking at the horizon. I thought, the earth must be round. What’s this guy’s story? Too late to ask him now, though.
He was an amateur rocket scientist, he claimed he wanted to prove the Earth is flat, by seeing for himself from space, a lot of his financing was crowd sourced. His publicist is now saying he only claimed the flat earth for publicity.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 4:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
.... His publicist is now saying he only claimed the flat earth for publicity.
No! Really? Some "flat-earthers" would do that?
Everything is permitted if it isn't explicitly prohibited.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 23rd 2020 at 4:22 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 4:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of freedoms, I was accused more than once by friends and colleagues in America of being Bartleby the Scrivener. "I would prefer not to."
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 5:16 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
A Japanese car being shown in Singapore: WTF, America?
Old Feb 27th 2020, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sixty-five years after 14-year-old Emmett Till was lynched in Mississippi, the House has approved legislation designating lynching as a hate crime under federal law.

The bill, introduced by Illinois Rep. Bobby Rush and named after Till, comes 120 years after Congress first considered anti-lynching legislation and after dozens of similar efforts were defeated.

The measure was approved 410 to 4 on Wednesday.

WTF and who were the 4 that voted against it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ears-Till.html
Old Feb 27th 2020, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Sixty-five years after 14-year-old Emmett Till was lynched in Mississippi, the House has approved legislation designating lynching as a hate crime under federal law.

The bill, introduced by Illinois Rep. Bobby Rush and named after Till, comes 120 years after Congress first considered anti-lynching legislation and after dozens of similar efforts were defeated.

The measure was approved 410 to 4 on Wednesday.

WTF and who were the 4 that voted against it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ears-Till.html
Ted Yoho of Florida, Louie Gohmert of Texas and Thomas Massie of Kentucky.all republicans & former republican now independent Justin Amash of Michigan voted against it,

This article includes a bit as to why some were against it, mostly states rights and feeling the federal bill is redundant.

https://www.newsweek.com/four-federa...rreach-1489313

Old Mar 6th 2020, 6:42 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Are you pleased to see me or is that a gun in your pocket?
https://www.newsweek.com/man-acciden...y-bill-1490943
Old Mar 7th 2020, 8:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Are you pleased to see me or is that a gun in your pocket?
https://www.newsweek.com/man-acciden...y-bill-1490943
Hmm.. first sentence of the story states that this happened in upstate New York. No, it didn’t, Cheektowaga is in western New York.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm.. first sentence of the story states that this happened in upstate New York. No, it didn’t, Cheektowaga is in western New York.
i think anything out of the city is generally referred to as 'upstate' for New York.

Tbf any further directly north of cheektowaga is Canada
Old Mar 10th 2020, 6:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Phathamster
i think anything out of the city is generally referred to as 'upstate' for New York.

Not so. “Upstate” is North to the Mohawk valley, and west to the finger lakes or so. Most of New York is Northern New York, or Western New York. I live in St. Lawrence County, and no way is that “upstate!” It is Northern New York, or the North Country. Similarly, Buffalo and other western areas are not “upstate.”
Old Mar 10th 2020, 7:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Not so. “Upstate” is North to the Mohawk valley, and west to the finger lakes or so. Most of New York is Northern New York, or Western New York. I live in St. Lawrence County, and no way is that “upstate!” It is Northern New York, or the North Country. Similarly, Buffalo and other western areas are not “upstate.”
That is obviously your perspective, from the far-northern fringes of New York, but when I lived in Westchester County, everything to the north of Westchester was referred to as "upstate" - I suspect that some people in NYC included Westchester County in "upstate". "Western New York" was sometimes used for clarity, but that was just a part of "upstate".
Old Mar 10th 2020, 7:59 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster

I suspect local usage sides with Robin, but to anybody outside of NY state the distinction, as Phatmaster suggests is between "New York City, Long Island and the immediate surroundings" on the one hand and "the rest of the State" on the other. Wikipedia (which I know is not the be-all and end-all of sources) suggests that Upstate refers to everything north of Westchester County...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.