WTF in America

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:53 am
  #7981  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 10,061
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
a man in Illinois who was killed after he opened the door to his neighbour's shed, it had been rigged to fire a shotgun. No one wants their stuff stolen, but stealing a hammer shouldn't attract the death penalty. The shed's owner was charged with first degree murder.
Originally Posted by vespucci View Post
Quite right too. Getting someone killed when you're not even at the scene is more like murder than "keeping yourself safe".
I don’t really see how that is first degree murder though, since the Illinois shed-owner wasn’t on the scene, and couldn’t know for sure that anyone would open his shed door. Sounds more like manslaughter or some other lesser offence.
robin1234 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 9:52 am
  #7982  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 12,919
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post




I don’t really see how that is first degree murder though, since the Illinois shed-owner wasn’t on the scene, and couldn’t know for sure that anyone would open his shed door. Sounds more like manslaughter or some other lesser offence.
He was convicted a couple of months ago, first degree murder. Will be sentenced in a couple of weeks. Here's a piece about booby trap killings, you'll have to excuse me if it's a dodgy source as I don't know anything about American media. I liked the way the journalist wrote though, and agree with most of what he wrote https://chicago.suntimes.com/columni...atko-steinberg
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 11:36 am
  #7983  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 10,061
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
He was convicted a couple of months ago, first degree murder. Will be sentenced in a couple of weeks. Here's a piece about booby trap killings, you'll have to excuse me if it's a dodgy source as I don't know anything about American media. I liked the way the journalist wrote though, and agree with most of what he wrote https://chicago.suntimes.com/columni...atko-steinberg
Thanks. Brilliant piece, that. At first I thought he was saying he wrote his wife’s law school papers, but I think he just said he TYPED them. Either way, evidently it was good training!

Sun-Times was a great, progressive paper, but sadly diminished in recent years with down-sizing and budget cuts, I believe.
robin1234 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:18 pm
  #7984  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,640
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Haven't heard this one before. Passenger on a flight from Pensacola, Florida to Miami wanted a bigger seat when her request was turned down by the flight crew, she faked not being able to breathe, flight returned to Pensacola where she then refused to get off the aircraft, police were able to eventually get her to leave and she was detained under the Baker Act which allows police to detain someone in a mental health facility for 72 hours, no criminal charges have been filed as of the writing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6242908/f...kFTfHzILHBr_mc
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 9:33 pm
  #7985  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: california
Posts: 5,747
dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Haven't heard this one before. Passenger on a flight from Pensacola, Florida to Miami wanted a bigger seat when her request was turned down by the flight crew, she faked not being able to breathe, flight returned to Pensacola where she then refused to get off the aircraft, police were able to eventually get her to leave and she was detained under the Baker Act which allows police to detain someone in a mental health facility for 72 hours, no criminal charges have been filed as of the writing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6242908/f...kFTfHzILHBr_mc
She wont be flying again. She's now in the problem passenger data system most likely. No airline will allow her to board
dc koop is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:38 am
  #7986  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 63,784
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Haven't heard this one before. Passenger on a flight from Pensacola, Florida to Miami wanted a bigger seat when her request was turned down by the flight crew, she faked not being able to breathe, flight returned to Pensacola where she then refused to get off the aircraft, police were able to eventually get her to leave and she was detained under the Baker Act which allows police to detain someone in a mental health facility for 72 hours, no criminal charges have been filed as of the writing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6242908/f...kFTfHzILHBr_mc
You have different sized seats on a plane over there? I did not know that was a thing. Or maybe it isn't and that's why they turned her down??? I didn't read the link, I guessed you gave enough of the story to make a comment.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 12:46 pm
  #7987  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 80,296
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
You have different sized seats on a plane over there? I did not know that was a thing. Or maybe it isn't and that's why they turned her down??? I didn't read the link, I guessed you gave enough of the story to make a comment.
AFAIK only in biz and first class.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 7:40 pm
  #7988  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,640
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

First class seats on domestic flights are wider with more leg room, and some airlines like Delta have a premium economy section with more leg room, like 34" inches of leg room vs 31-32" in normal economy. I would assume this lady was trying to get a first class seat if she was looking for a bigger seat.

But looking at the American Airlines website the flight in question was a small regional jet, that isn't going to offer a bigger seat anywhere on that type of aircraft. Maybe she had a panic attack or something, who knows. Regional jets being small and compact affect some people, a few times a year we would have a regional jet operated flight return to gate before taking off because a passenger was too nervous to fly on it. Some people don't do well in small planes.



Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
You have different sized seats on a plane over there? I did not know that was a thing. Or maybe it isn't and that's why they turned her down??? I didn't read the link, I guessed you gave enough of the story to make a comment.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Dec 3rd 2019 at 7:45 pm.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 7:44 pm
  #7989  
Hail Satan!
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 45,395
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
But looking at the American Airlines website the flight in question was a small regional jet, that isn't going to offer a bigger seat anywhere on that type of aircraft.
Emergency exit row, maybe?
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 8:11 pm
  #7990  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 80,296
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
First class seats on domestic flights are wider with more leg room, and some airlines like Delta have a premium economy section with more leg room, like 34" inches of leg room vs 31-32" in normal economy. I would assume this lady was trying to get a first class seat if she was looking for a bigger seat.

But looking at the American Airlines website the flight in question was a small regional jet, that isn't going to offer a bigger seat anywhere on that type of aircraft. Maybe she had a panic attack or something, who knows. Regional jets being small and compact affect some people, a few times a year we would have a regional jet operated flight return to gate before taking off because a passenger was too nervous to fly on it. Some people don't do well in small planes.
I don’t like very small planes, meaning less than 12 seats. The larger the better, with as many engines as possible.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 9:31 pm
  #7991  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,640
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Could be, hard to know since the articles were not all that descriptive.

Looking at seat guru the ERJ-145 has 3 seats with 33 inches of leg room vs 31" for the other 47, width is 17" in all seats.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Emergency exit row, maybe?
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 9:36 pm
  #7992  
Hail Satan!
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 45,395
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Could be, hard to know since the articles were not all that descriptive.

Looking at seat guru the ERJ-145 has 3 seats with 33 inches of leg room vs 31" for the other 47, width is 17" in all seats.
Checking out seat guru, it looks like maybe seat 1A, or seats 3C and 3D are the bulkhead seats, and seats 18A, B and C are the exit row seats. Those are the only ones that look to have more room than the others.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Yesterday, 5:41 am
  #7993  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 31,569
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Mayors promise to meet after Newark sues NYC for shipping homeless families to N.J.

https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/12/may...-families.html

The world we live in.
Boiler is online now  
Old Yesterday, 6:42 am
  #7994  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: california
Posts: 5,747
dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post

Mayors promise to meet after Newark sues NYC for shipping homeless families to N.J.

https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/12/may...-families.html

The world we live in.
There's a possibility that conditions might well improve if the homeless in San Francisco set up a ,huge campsite outside the home of Nancy Pelosi ditto Governor Newson's residence in Sacramento
dc koop is offline  
Old Yesterday, 4:33 pm
  #7995  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 10,991
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

LAPD officer suspended after body-cam footage shows him fondling a dead woman's breasts:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...s-body-camera/
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-female-corpse
caretaker is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.