WTF in America

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 2:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Not sure if everyone goes to TIO, so I'll post here as well, the former Dallas Police Officer who killed the man last year in his apartment has been convicted of murder.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...otham-n1060506

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not your usual police shooting.

Dallas Police officer in uniform entered a man's apartment thinking it was her apartment, when she found man inside his apartment, she shot him and he later died in hospital.

Police are waiting on an arrest warrant to arrest the officer on charges of manslaughter.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/07/us/da...ing/index.html
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if everyone goes to TIO, so I'll post here as well, the former Dallas Police Officer who killed the man last year in his apartment has been convicted of murder.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...otham-n1060506
Surprising that she was convicted of murder rather than manslaughter. Seems that the racial/social justice element loomed pretty large over the trial. Of course she made a horrible mistake, but she will be partially paying for the sins of others.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 3:56 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
Surprising that she was convicted of murder rather than manslaughter. Seems that the racial/social justice element loomed pretty large over the trial. Of course she made a horrible mistake, but she will be partially paying for the sins of others.
How so? She made a mistake? I'm not aware that anybody other than this woman entered somebody else's home and shot the homeowner. I'm not sure how that could be construed as manslaughter: it's clear that she shot him with the intent that he would end up dead. The fact that the man was shot by an intruder in his own home is paramount. That she was a police officer, that she didn't realize it wasn't her home, or the racial identity of either party, seem completely irrelevant to me.

Either way, it's a sad case. One man has lost his life; one woman has wrecked hers. No winners here
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
How so? She made a mistake? I'm not aware that anybody other than this woman entered somebody else's home and shot the homeowner. I'm not sure how that could be construed as manslaughter: it's clear that she shot him with the intent that he would end up dead. (
Indeed. I saw a video clip from her trial and she was asked whether she intended to kill him when she fired. Her answer was 'yes'.

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be interesting to see the sentence.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It will be interesting to see the sentence.
She got life.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 5:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The only way that it could remotely be considered manslaughter, is if it is assumed to be expected that you kill an unknown person in your home.
That assumption seems to me to be inhumane, but in America it is common.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 6:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The only way that it could remotely be considered manslaughter, is if it is assumed to be expected that you kill an unknown person in your home.
That assumption seems to me to be inhumane, but in America it is common.
But... it wasn't in her home, it was in his, she said she had entered thinking it was her home,
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it should have been negligent homicide (if that were available). Murder, to me, indicates pre-meditation. I don't believe that was the case.

Tragic, however you view it.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 6:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Indeed. I saw a video clip from her trial and she was asked whether she intended to kill him when she fired. Her answer was 'yes'.
Texas seems to have a very wide definition of what constitutes murder. That answer got her a murder conviction. Not sure how you could shoot someone without any intent to kill them.

Most places it is her intent at the time she entered the premises. If she went there intending to kill him, it is murder. If it was in fact a terrible mistake, it would be manslaughter.

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Texas seems to have a very wide definition of what constitutes murder. That answer got her a murder conviction. Not sure how you could shoot someone without any intent to kill them.

Most places it is her intent at the time she entered the premises. If she went there intending to kill him, it is murder. If it was in fact a terrible mistake, it would be manslaughter.
Maybe she meant, "Police shoot to kill, not to wound."
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the sentencing hearing was still ongoing, can't find any articles on an actual sentence just that the hearing is ongoing, this is the most recent article I can find on the sentence.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-jean-n1061146

Whatever her sentence ends up being, she isn't eligible for parole according the above article so will have to serve her entire sentence.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
She got life.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 7:50 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the sentencing hearing was still ongoing
Yeah, the jury is still deliberating:
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Ambe...d_click&f=live
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can find no mention of sentence yet.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

I thought I missed something.....

Seems they can give her anywhere from 5 years to life.

Originally Posted by caretaker
Yeah, the jury is still deliberating:
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Ambe...d_click&f=live

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.