WTF in America

Old May 9th 2014, 6:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I always loved that tune. I can remember getting irrationally pissed off if I was forced to watch snooker on ITV.
Old May 9th 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

So here's a WTF in America - why so few snooker tables
Is snooker very different to billiards? Or pool.

I don't think snooker is so rare in America. There is even a table in the common area of the building I live in.

Last edited by jmood; May 9th 2014 at 6:18 pm.
Old May 9th 2014, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I always loved that tune. I can remember getting irrationally pissed off if I was forced to watch snooker on ITV.
Old May 9th 2014, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been able to work out why some Americans call it "snker". How do they not see the two o's?
Old May 9th 2014, 6:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Is snooker very different to billiards?

I don't think snooker is so rare in America. There is a table in the common area of the building I live in.
It depends on which billiards you mean. US 'billiards' tends to mean pool in my experience.

It's closer to UK billiards, played on the same 12' x 6' table but with more balls. It's not fantastically rare, but available tables to play on are harder to come by depending on where you live.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Truth be told I got irrationally pissed off any time I had to watch ITV. I made exceptions for the Champions League and The Bill, but that was about it
Old May 9th 2014, 7:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Is snooker very different to billiards? Or pool.

I don't think snooker is so rare in America. There is even a table in the common area of the building I live in.
Snooker has some fundamental differences to pool, notably that both players play to pot the same set of balls, AND that some of those balls (the coloured ones of which there is only one of each colour: yellow, green, brown, blue, pink, and black) are repeatedly returned to the table, so long as there are still red balls on the table.

Each red ball potted entitles you to try to pot a colour, any color (other than red), which is returned to the table. The cycle of red, colour, red, colour is repeated until all the reds are gone, then the colours must be potted in the order I listed them above. Every red potted is worth one point, the colours are worth 2-7 points each time they are potted. A "perfect score" of 15 reds followed by the black each time, and then all the colours, gives a score of 147.
Old May 9th 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Snooker has some fundamental differences to pool, notably that both players play to pot the same set of balls, AND that some of those balls (the coloured ones of which there is only one of each colour: yellow, green, brown, blue, pink, and black) are repeatedly returned to the table, so long as there are still red balls on the table.

Each red ball potted entitles you to try to pot a colour, any color (other than red), which is returned to the table. The cycle of red, colour, red, colour is repeated until all the reds are gone, then the colours must be potted in the order I listed them above. Every red potted is worth one point, the colours are worth 2-7 points each time they are potted. A "perfect score" of 15 reds followed by the black each time, and then all the colours, gives a score of 147.
SO complicated. Did my head in Why can't a fun game be simple :-)
Old May 9th 2014, 7:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SO complicated. Did my head in Why can't a fun game be simple :-)
Snooker is a piece of piss. Pot a red, one point, pot a colour, 2-7 points depending on which one, replace the colour, repeat. When all the reds are down there's 27 points left. Pot balls, add up your points and enjoy.

Obviously there are tactics as well, but it's easier than, say, chess.
Old May 9th 2014, 8:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I shall most definitely be enjoying a few frames (and teaching my son how to play) with my dad when I'm over. In about seven weeks ...
I have discovered that there is a snooker and pool club not far from me...that's actually a snooker club, with a pool table on the side. Which is quite cool...but not that far is still far enough that I still can't be arsed :/
Old May 9th 2014, 8:04 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
I have discovered that there is a snooker and pool club not far from me...that's actually a snooker club, with a pool table on the side. Which is quite cool...but not that far is still far enough that I still can't be arsed :/
That's the shite part. My old snooker hall was close enough to walk to. I have many happy memories of heading there with my mate on a Friday night after work, with a 6-pack each, before heading to the pub to round off the evening.

Great days ...
Old May 9th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's the shite part. My old snooker hall was close enough to walk to. I have many happy memories of heading there with my mate on a Friday night after work, with a 6-pack each, before heading to the pub to round off the evening.

Great days ...
You're an alcoholic then?
Old May 9th 2014, 8:07 pm
I have a comma problem

You're an alcoholic then?
Hardly

We could put 'em away but we were also 22. You can do that at that age quite easily.
Old May 9th 2014, 8:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's closer to UK billiards, played on the same 12' x 6' table but with more balls. It's not fantastically rare, but available tables to play on are harder to come by depending on where you live.
it's the full sized tables that's rare...they tend to be much smaller when you find them.
Old May 9th 2014, 8:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

I keep re-reading that. It has something to do with... cooking beavers? And some dude named "Brandin"
A Beaver got picked in the first round. A Duck didn't. What is hard to understand.
Old May 9th 2014, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I've never been able to work out why some Americans call it "snker". How do they not see the two o's?
Yes, definitely a WTF?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.