WTF in America

Old May 27th 2019, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Maybe if the cretins and the protesters weren't permitted to carry guns less police would have been needed? Better over-prepared than under. Anyway, no one was murdered or injured so that's a plus
I doubt it. 2A folk often protest in higher numbers than 9 with lower police bills than that.

​​​​​
Old May 27th 2019, 4:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I doubt it. 2A folk often protest in higher numbers than 9 with lower police bills than that.

​​​​​
I think the 9 was in reference to the ones who like to wear bedsheets, although I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice, but no more than that
Old May 27th 2019, 4:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if the cretins and the protesters weren't permitted to carry guns less police would have been needed? ....
As is commonly the case with non-US residents opining on domestic US matters, your comment is not particularly relevant, as the last time (AFAIR) there was a fatality at a "white supremacist" rally it was caused by someone driving a car into the crowd of counter-protesters, so nothing to do with guns and second amendment rights.

In so far as the number of people goes, in terms of policing to ensure public order is maintained, the total number of protesters AND counter-protesters is the relevant number - 9 people aren't going to cause much of a disturbance, but if they are bated by a crowd of a thousand counter-protesters the outcome could be very different. And in truth the protesters thrive on the publicity, despite media attempts to ridicule them, and their paltry turn-out, they wanted the attention and the media gave it to them.
Old May 27th 2019, 4:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

According to Mayor Whaley, it's the potential for gun violence, in particular that posed by assault rifles that caused their expensive security turn-out. It's in the article.
Old May 27th 2019, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
According to Mayor Whaley, it's the potential for gun violence, in particular that posed by assault rifles that caused their expensive security turn-out. It's in the article.

Was the concern over whether the group would adhere to the agreement it reached with the city or the threat posed by anti-KKK protestors with assualt rifles?
Old May 27th 2019, 4:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
IIRC that's what they said in Charlottesville, VA. They were wrong.
Old May 27th 2019, 4:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if the cretins and the protesters weren't permitted to carry guns less police would have been needed? Better over-prepared than under. Anyway, no one was murdered or injured so that's a plus
The last time I know that the Black Panthers turned up high profile, with "assault weapons" (in California) it led to gun restrictions laws being imposed. If the Black Panthers make a habit of this, I expect the same outcome.
Edit: I should add that the New Black Panthers are very different from the sixties ones.

Last edited by kimilseung; May 27th 2019 at 4:39 pm.
Old May 27th 2019, 5:38 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Was the concern over whether the group would adhere to the agreement it reached with the city or the threat posed by anti-KKK protestors with assualt rifles?
I'm think if you emailed him and asked nicely he'd probably respond.
Old May 27th 2019, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The scale of things seemed out of balance.

9 protesters

350 Police

600 anti protesters

$650,000 bill

Now there are lots of weirdos out there, and if 9 had such an impact I assume there are lots of other groups of similar size thinking wow we could do something like that.

I do appreciate there is always a balance but as we seem to be moving to a more and more polarised world you just wonder where this goes.
Old May 27th 2019, 9:20 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The scale of things seemed out of balance.

9 protesters

350 Police

600 anti protesters

$650,000 bill

Now there are lots of weirdos out there, and if 9 had such an impact I assume there are lots of other groups of similar size thinking wow we could do something like that.

I do appreciate there is always a balance but as we seem to be moving to a more and more polarised world you just wonder where this goes.
Who gets the $650,000?
Old May 27th 2019, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
Who gets the $650,000?
Mainly overtime for the Police.

Maybe rental of barriers etc, it was not broken down so my assumption.
Old May 28th 2019, 12:22 am
Stand-up Philosopher

To the tune of Eric Burdon and the Animals' Sky Pilot - Sky Penis:
https://leaderpost.com/news/world/th...a-289d49b4ca71
Old May 28th 2019, 1:27 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Mainly overtime for the Police.

Maybe rental of barriers etc, it was not broken down so my assumption.
If the 350 LEOs took home an extra grand this month that seems like a win.
Old May 28th 2019, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

A grand for a day's overtime? I'm in the wrong job.
Old May 28th 2019, 2:47 am

I was thinking the same thing, but I would like to see a breakdown of where $650,000 went, because with only 350 LE officers, I am thinking that not much of the $650,000 ended up in the pay of the LE officers.

The highest pay for city police near me (NC) is reportedly just under $68,000pa, and 40 hours for 2 weeks is 2080 hrs, so $68,000 is equivalent to $33.65. Suppose that they are paid time-and-a-half, and worked an extra 10 hours - that is still only $504, and that assumes that they are all paid at the
highest rate for a cop in NC. All things considered, I suspect that only about a quarter of the supposed cost of $650,000 ended up going to pay overtime for cops on the street.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.