WTF in America

Old May 9th 2014, 6:20 pm
  #751  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 30,740
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Because Brandin Cooks an Oregon State Beaver went at number 20. An OSU Beaver picked in the first round that's way.


I keep re-reading that. It has something to do with... cooking beavers? And some dude named "Brandin"
Nutek is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 6:21 pm
  #752  
.
 
Yorkieabroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Where bad things rarely happen in movies
Posts: 8,933
Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Because Brandin Cooks an Oregon State Beaver went at number 20. An OSU Beaver picked in the first round that's way.
I thought we had a rule about speaking English on here
Yorkieabroad is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 6:27 pm
  #753  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 30,740
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Nutek is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 6:35 pm
  #754  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I was only six at the time
Bloody hell.

That era was so much fun - mind you it's still gripping.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 6:43 pm
  #755  
Doin' It Right
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 48,018
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Bloody hell.

That era was so much fun - mind you it's still gripping.
Actually, I was five, I wouldn't turn six for another two months

I used to watch snooker all through the 80s. Players like Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Jimmy White and Dennis Taylor were who gave me my love of the game. It was a great era for snooker, as was the 90s.

Predictably, Barry Hearn has started to ruin it now. Typical

So here's a WTF in America - why so few snooker tables
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 6:47 pm
  #756  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Actually, I was five, I wouldn't turn six for another two months

I used to watch snooker all through the 80s. Players like Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Jimmy White and Dennis Taylor were who gave me my love of the game. It was a great era for snooker, as was the 90s.

Predictably, Barry Hearn has started to ruin it now. Typical

So here's a WTF in America - why so few snooker tables
I think it was the Masters I was watching last time I was back, real edge-of-the-seat stuff. The standard is amazing now (probably because they're not drinking during the game )

Too hard for the Yanks innit.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 6:49 pm
  #757  
Doin' It Right
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 48,018
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
I think it was the Masters I was watching last time I was back, real edge-of-the-seat stuff. The standard is amazing now (probably because they're not drinking during the game )

Too hard for the Yanks innit.
The players now are great, they knock in centuries like they are at the practice table. I think the atmosphere was better in the days of White and Hendry though, but that could be my misty-eyed nostalgia kicking in again ...

I don't know why the Yanks would find it so hard, it's just like pool, with addition
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 6:52 pm
  #758  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
The players now are great, they knock in centuries like they are at the practice table. I think the atmosphere was better in the days of White and Hendry though, but that could be my misty-eyed nostalgia kicking in again ...

I don't know why the Yanks would find it so hard, it's just like pool, with addition
Big Bill Werbenuik...

No cheerleaders
Sally Redux is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 6:55 pm
  #759  
Doin' It Right
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 48,018
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Big Bill Werbenuik...

No cheerleaders
Big Bill, now there's a guy who could knock it back. Didn't see it at the time but I always loved the clip of him stopping his match to peek around the divider and watch Cliff Thorburn knocking in his 147 ...

I guess I shall have to accept that snooker is one of those British things. There are tables here but they are either in Chicago, so too far away for a regular game, or in a member's only environment and I doubt I, with my glittering high break of 24 would do well there
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 6:59 pm
  #760  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Big Bill, now there's a guy who could knock it back. Didn't see it at the time but I always loved the clip of him stopping his match to peek around the divider and watch Cliff Thorburn knocking in his 147 ...

I guess I shall have to accept that snooker is one of those British things. There are tables here but they are either in Chicago, so too far away for a regular game, or in a member's only environment and I doubt I, with my glittering high break of 24 would do well there
I can still remember the stomach-knotting feeling of 'The Grinder's slowness

It would be cool to join one of those clubs though.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 7:03 pm
  #761  
Doin' It Right
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 48,018
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
I can still remember the stomach-knotting feeling of 'The Grinder's slowness

It would be cool to join one of those clubs though.
There is one within 15 miles of home, I will probably fire off an email to the president and see what's what. I shall dust off the cobwebs in Blighty first, though, it's been ten years since I have played.

I loved the old snooker hall back home though, me and my mate went there two or three times a week so they knew us and always gave us the decent tables. One Sunday afternoon, the bloke at the desk fell asleep and forgot to turn our lights off. We ended up with a three hour session, until an owner (who was local UDA, I think ) came in and yelled at him.

Needless to say, we said we'd pay the difference, as we'd only booked two hours but I think they let us off with it in the end
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 7:06 pm
  #762  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
There is one within 15 miles of home, I will probably fire off an email to the president and see what's what. I shall dust off the cobwebs in Blighty first, though, it's been ten years since I have played.

I loved the old snooker hall back home though, me and my mate went there two or three times a week so they knew us and always gave us the decent tables. One Sunday afternoon, the bloke at the desk fell asleep and forgot to turn our lights off. We ended up with a three hour session, until an owner (who was local UDA, I think ) came in and yelled at him.

Needless to say, we said we'd pay the difference, as we'd only booked two hours but I think they let us off with it in the end
Have fun.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 7:08 pm
  #763  
.
 
Yorkieabroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Where bad things rarely happen in movies
Posts: 8,933
Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Used to love the snooker back in those days. First time I watched with my dad, I got the paint drying/grass growing feeling, but then I started watching Pot Black and I got hooked. Like a lot of things (F1, RAC Rally, Wimbledon, Skiing etc), those days always seemed better than now.

The only thing that has improved is soccer, though that may have something to do with my early exposure being Dad sneaking me into the Middlesbrough games at half time cos he knew a bloke on the back gate. "But Dad, its not fair, why do Boro always start 2-0 down..." Although the teleprinter was good in those days. I miss the teleprinter. Or maybe I just loved that our Saturday treat was always cream cakes while the scores came in..........
Yorkieabroad is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 7:09 pm
  #764  
Doin' It Right
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 48,018
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Have fun.


I think it's under new ownership now. It's still in the same building but it's no longer the Embassy, now it's QE2 or something equally punny.

I bet I still kick my dad's arse, though ...
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 9th 2014, 7:13 pm
  #765  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post


I think it's under new ownership now. It's still in the same building but it's no longer the Embassy, now it's QE2 or something equally punny.

I bet I still kick my dad's arse, though ...
Got this in my head now

Sally Redux is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.