WTF in America

Old Dec 13th 2017, 2:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Surviving various encounters wasn't my question, I have enough to fill a good sized book but none of them involved weapons or are like the encounter in question.
I don't think the sargeant was aiming to cause confusion but, with the benefits afforded by hindsight, it appears that the more orders/threats that are barked the more confused the suspect becomes, clear and concise the officer was not.
One of mine did involve a weapon. But that was in the UK.

However I think you may be asking for more than is likely.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:41 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I would survive that. I could see myself making a subconscious gesture like pulling my pants up. Those commands were confusing and threatening.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't make sense why they had him crawl towards them. Face down where he was with hands behind back, walk up and handcuff him.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
What are we trying to decide?
What I hope that we are trying to decide is what to do about the fact that we are living in a country where a police officer can justify shooting an unarmed suspect, without the police officer having seen a weapon, with the statement “I believed 100 percent that he was reaching for a gun.” and have this explanation accepted by a jury and being both reasonable and sufficient to justify the officer shooting and killing the suspect.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by md95065
What I hope that we are trying to decide is what to do about the fact that we are living in a country where a police officer can justify shooting an unarmed suspect, without the police officer having seen a weapon, with the statement “I believed 100 percent that he was reaching for a gun.” and have this explanation accepted by a jury and being both reasonable and sufficient to justify the officer shooting and killing the suspect.
Some sort of strict liability law, you injured/killed someone so you must take the consequences?
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Having now done two courses on the local police firearms simulator, waiting to see the gun will get you killed. If you don't like the law get it changed. A reasonable belief that your life is in danger allows the use of deadly force same here as in the UK. The jury who heard all the evidence made a decision. I wouldn't have waited to see the gun.

What should be being asked is why they had him crawl towards them.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Having now done two courses on the local police firearms simulator, waiting to see the gun will get you killed.
And your training was with an AR-15 pre-aimed at the putative target, safeties off, and your finger on the trigger ?
I think that the rules of engagement are rather different.

Last edited by steveq; Dec 13th 2017 at 8:32 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Some sort of strict liability law, you injured/killed someone so you must take the consequences?
There are always consequences if you kill someone, be it with a gun, car, bottle, etc. The officer who shot Shaver might be a right twat for all we know but I'll bet he wishes things had worked out differently at the time. The ones who don't feel remorse are those who will give us something to worry about...
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by steveq
I think that the rules of engagement are rather different.
You clearly don't.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by zzrmark
There are always consequences if you kill someone, be it with a gun, car, bottle, etc. The officer who shot Shaver might be a right twat for all we know but I'll bet he wishes things had worked out differently at the time. The ones who don't feel remorse are those who will give us something to worry about...
That would be outside of any criminal trial and I am sure is often the case.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 1:37 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Having now done two courses on the local police firearms simulator, waiting to see the gun will get you killed. If you don't like the law get it changed. A reasonable belief that your life is in danger allows the use of deadly force same here as in the UK. The jury who heard all the evidence made a decision. I wouldn't have waited to see the gun.

What should be being asked is why they had him crawl towards them.
Ultimately it comes down to the fact that this is a consequence of the proliferation of guns in the country. Like you say cops are taught to look for a gun anywhere, because there is a good chance there could be a gun as there are so many. It just becomes an acceptable loss, just like with mass shootings it's the price of freedom.

As for the crawling part, you would know better than me, but I guess there is some sort of tactical justification in that there a heightened risk of a cop walking over there, and they want to eliminate every possible risk they can. But when the number one priority for the police is for them to go home safe and is no longer to serve and protect, then it's a serious issue.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

Not sure why go home and serve and protect conflict, who does a job and does not want to go home safe?
Old Dec 15th 2017, 5:38 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert on police procedures but I would have thought that the man should have been told to walk backwards towards the police officer with both hands in the air.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OMG! "Bizarre YouTube Stunt" doesn't even begin to describe this story.

And it didn't even happen in Florida.
Update on this story:

Perez pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter on Friday.

Her plea deal entails her serving six months in prison and 10 years of supervised probation.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Mebbe not Florida but I reckon they'd have upped sticks and moved here in just a few short years....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.