WTF in America

Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Pintage
Ok to the context, I know the person saying it (although only to say hi too). He does it all the time regardless of which bar we happen to be in. I travel a lot and spent a lot of time in hotel bars and so on and I constantly here "I'll take a" or "given me a".
I am also 6ft 3" tall and 300lbs only some of which is lard.....people tend to shy away from wanting to hit me. I don't, by any means, court confrontation but sometimes you just have to correct people (please feel free to correct my grammar, spelling, random words and so on as I know i am far from perfect).

I went back to the UK last month and found myself listening to people saying please and thank you and smiling at how much better it makes life or maybe just the way I feel.

Still it is the world we live in and I always treat people the way I like to be treated. Each to their own and all that.

On the whole this is a pretty damn fine place to live......
Well if you are familiar with them, and weigh 300 lbs, then I'd say you are OK to be correcting them . I'm 140 lbs, and the last time I had an 'encounter with a stranger' in a bar, it was many years ago at an Irish (pseudo...) bar in San Francisco. I was minding my own business, ordering a beer at the bar, when an Irish guy noticed my accent and started harassing me because I was English. He was big, burly, and drunk, and clearly didn't like English people ... and was with what seemed to be a bunch of like minded individuals ... I never went back ...

Culturally, I believe different races/nationalities have different approaches to the use of 'please' and 'thank you'. My girlfriend is Filipino, and she is super polite overall, but just doesn't use please and thank you much. I must say it bugged me for some time (we've been together now for 24+ years...) but I finally accepted that it's just the way she was brought up; no point trying to change it.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

DEPUTIES ARREST NAKED BURGLAR

Deputies learned that a male entered the rear door of the business, stole a purse and wallet, then rode away on a bicycle. Customers at the business followed the suspect and provided updates to responding deputies. One customer confronted the burglar and recovered the stolen items. He then took a picture of the suspect as he pedaled away.

During a search of the area, deputies located a naked man at SW 173rd Avenue and SW Alexander Street. Deputies located clothing and a bicycle matching the description and photo provided by the witnesses. Deputies arrested 34-year-old Patrick L. Jones of Aloha.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well if you are familiar with them, and weigh 300 lbs, then I'd say you are OK to be correcting them . I'm 140 lbs, and the last time I had an 'encounter with a stranger' in a bar, it was many years ago at an Irish (pseudo...) bar in San Francisco. I was minding my own business, ordering a beer at the bar, when an Irish guy noticed my accent and started harassing me because I was English. He was big, burly, and drunk, and clearly didn't like English people ... and was with what seemed to be a bunch of like minded individuals ... I never went back ...
That sounds like an early scene in Withnail and I when 'I' gets called a ponce by that Irish bloke in the pub. Are you actually Paul McGann?

Seriously though, **** that shit - drunk and angry are a bad combination for a lot of people (including me) and I like my face the way it is for its faults. I don't care how big, strong or fit anyone thinks they are, Bruce Lee was what, 8 stone, and he could have kicked all of our arses at the same time while he was trying to do calculus and cook an omelette. Life's too short to waste it getting into fights with strangers.

Of course, in the OP's case it was banter with an acquaintance, which is an entirely different thing. I rip the piss (and have the favor returned) with friends and colleagues all the time.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
... but I finally accepted that it's just the way she was brought up; no point trying to change it.
But yet she will always try to change you ... am I right ... ?

Thanks, I'll be here all week
Old Jun 7th 2017, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Nope knew her already but only got together when I moved over here.....
... hedging your bets just in case the dickhead-in-chief ends up being responsible for Beemer leaving Greer?
Old Jun 7th 2017, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Pintage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zzrmark
... hedging your bets just in case the dickhead-in-chief ends up being responsible for Beemer leaving Greer?
Thankfully I don't work for Beemer......but it would have a devastating effect on the upstate.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Does everyone who gets a doberman have to give it cosmetic surgery? Never seen so many dogs with their ears and tails in casts.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Pintage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anian
Does everyone who gets a doberman have to give it cosmetic surgery? Never seen so many dogs with their ears and tails in casts.
I didn't even know you could get cosmetic surgery on a dog!
Old Jun 8th 2017, 7:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even know you could get cosmetic surgery on a dog!
Traditionally lots of dogs have/ had their tails docked, typically field/ hunting dogs and terriers for reasons of hygiene and to stop them being attacked or bitten.

Some dogs also have the ears clipped, notably boxers and dobermans, and maybe some related breeds such as mastiffs and great danes.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 8:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Traditionally lots of dogs have/ had their tails docked, typically field/ hunting dogs and terriers for reasons of hygiene and to stop them being attacked or bitten.

Some dogs also have the ears clipped, notably boxers and dobermans, and maybe some related breeds such as mastiffs and great danes.
Ear cropping has always been illegal in the UK, and now, well for the last few years, tail docking is banned as well.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Ear cropping has always been illegal in the UK, and now, well for the last few years, tail docking is banned as well.
Ear cropping looks awful. I don't know much about tail docking except it seems mean.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Tail docking was banned in the UK in March and April 2007, but there are exceptions for spaniels and terriers in England, Wales and NI, with minor differences. The ban is absolute in Scotland.
Originally Posted by Nutek
Ear cropping looks awful. I don't know much about tail docking except it seems mean.
You could inform yourself by Googling <dog broken tail>, the consequences can be quite unpleasant, and painful for the dog.

We had two dogs when I was a child - a Jack Russell, which had been docked soon after birth and had a stump, about a couple of inches (so longer than some Jack Russells' tails). Then we got a pedigree English Springer Spaniel, and she had had probably a half to two-thirds of her tail docked soon after birth, leaving her with about 4 inches, which is typical for a spaniel. Neither seemed at all bothered by their shorted tail.
Ear cropping has always been illegal in the UK, .....
Since 1899, which is a long time, but not quite as long as "always".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2017 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 11:40 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

And Jewish males, along with many other non Jewish males...
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:31 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

You could inform yourself by Googling <dog broken tail>,.
I think I will give that a miss, thanks.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
I think I will give that a miss, thanks. ....
Yeah, file it under stuff you don't need to know.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

And another pet-related thing: Doesn't anyone put their details on their pets any more? Facebook is nonstop "I've found a dog/cat with no ID" and "I've lost a dog/cat with no collar". Growing up in the UK, every animal I knew had a collar with a tag and phone number on it.

I don't understand why anyone in my neighbourhood even bothers with cats unless they like to feed the coyotes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.