WTF in America

Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Pulaski
FIFY
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I want a law to stop people walking onto my property and posting advertising material on it. Or a means of opting out.
Most days of the week i come home to paper flyers hanging from my front door or garage door handles, business cards wedged in all manner of places. little plastic bags of landscape rock with flyers attached and freebie newspapers thrown into the driveway from a vehicle.

It takes time to get rid of this, i mainly come and go via the garage, when i return home to a flyer on the garage door i have to close the garage door go into the house back out the front door to retrieve the flyer and then go back into the house to trash it. What idiot honestly thinks I going to become a customer if you are making me do this.

The worst thing with all of this is that if you go away on vacation the uncollected advertising material is a clear sign that you are away from home to anyone wanting to break into your home. That is a good enough reason to ban all this IMO. But lets not tread on the toes of capitalism and prevent anyone the right to promote their business.

I have even put sign saying please do not post any flyers on my door and I still get then. Churches are the worst offenders, which is especially annoying because that's one place you would never find me.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I want a law to stop people walking onto my property and posting advertising material on it. Or a means of opting out.
Most days of the week i come home to paper flyers hanging from my front door or garage door handles, business cards wedged in all manner of places. little plastic bags of landscape rock with flyers attached and freebie newspapers thrown into the driveway from a vehicle.
I assume that you are aware that one of the reasons why they do this is because there is a law that says that they can't put the stuff in your mailbox - not that you would want it there either, but at least you would only have one place from which to collect it before throwing it in the trash ..
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

It takes time to get rid of this, i mainly come and go via the garage, when i return home to a flyer on the garage door i have to close the garage door go into the house back out the front door to retrieve the flyer and then go back into the house to trash it. What idiot honestly thinks I going to become a customer if you are making me do this.

The worst thing with all of this is that if you go away on vacation the uncollected advertising material is a clear sign that you are away from home to anyone wanting to break into your home. That is a good enough reason to ban all this IMO. But lets not tread on the toes of capitalism and prevent anyone the right to promote their business.

I have even put sign saying please do not post any flyers on my door and I still get then. Churches are the worst offenders, which is especially annoying because that's one place you would never find me.
Put out a "No Trespassing. Violators will be prosecuted" sign. As well as "No Solicitation". If they leave their cards/flyers that's ample evidence that they trespassed on your property - this might be an offense you could go after them for, depending on your state's laws.

ETA: If you live a nicer subdivision with an HOA, complain to the HOA and have them put up 'No solicitation' signs in the neighborhood.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Put out a "No Trespassing. Violators will be prosecuted" sign. As well as "No Solicitation". If they leave their cards/flyers that's ample evidence that they trespassed on your property - this might be an offense you could go after them for, depending on your state's laws.
It might help to make the point if you put some NRA stickers on the "No Trespassing" sign ...
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
It might help to make the point if you put some NRA stickers on the "No Trespassing" sign ...
LOL..where I come from the sign usually says "Trespassers will be shot on sight"
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I assume that you are aware that one of the reasons why they do this is because there is a law that says that they can't put the stuff in your mailbox - not that you would want it there either, but at least you would only have one place from which to collect it before throwing it in the trash.
And they wouldn't be quite so obvious to burglars and other crooks checking out the neighborhood looking for houses where the owners are away.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Is it trespassing for someone to walk up to your front door though? Surely anyone can do that. I agree it's annoying - stupid little rocks and elastic bands. I suppose the realtor's notepads with their delightful countenances on them are at least useful.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think signs would do any good, we have no solicitation signs at places i've worked here and they are ignored. Sales people come into the office buildings walking around each office selling anything from day spa packages to kids colouring sets. A secretary in a shared office buildings main annoyance is having to turn away sales people. And they always pick up a business card before they leave, just to prove who pays them that they did in fact stop by and try.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:13 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think signs would do any good, we have no solicitation signs at places i've worked here and they are ignored. Sales people come into the office buildings walking around each office selling anything from day spa packages to kids colouring sets. A secretary in a shared office buildings main annoyance is having to turn away sales people. And they always pick up a business card before they leave, just to prove who pays them that they did in fact stop by and try.
Maybe a spiked pit under the door mat.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I want a law to stop people walking onto my property and posting advertising material on it.
We have such a law in Milwaukie, that prohibits door hangers and flyers. Totally unenforceable as it infringes on the right to free speech. If we catch people doing it the best we can do is cite them for not having a city business license.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is it trespassing for someone to walk up to your front door though? Surely anyone can do that. I agree it's annoying - stupid little rocks and elastic bands. I suppose the realtor's notepads with their delightful countenances on them are at least useful.
Maybe it depends on state laws, but yes they are. If they have to walk across your front lawn to get to your door, they are on your private property without your permission.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Mar 13th 2014 at 11:31 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
We have such a law in Milwaukie, that prohibits door hangers and flyers. Totally unenforceable as it infringes on the right to free speech. .....
Personally I don't get the "free speech" argument. They can stand in the road and hand out flyers, but tossing things in my driveway or hanging them on my door is a littering issue. I don't believe that the founding fathers passed the first amendment to allow the unfettered scattering/ depositing of advertising flyers, free newspapers, and unwanted/ unneccessary phone directories on private property!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 13th 2014 at 10:44 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Could you leave out a small bin with "Flyers go here or they will be discarded unseen."
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot
Could you leave out a small bin with "Flyers go here or and they will be discarded unseen."
FIFY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.