British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   WTF in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wtf-america-827476/)

Nutek Mar 4th 2014 5:30 pm

Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11158131)
Similar thing - I was always surprised that private mail was delivered to an unlocked box at the end of the drive. In Britain, that would never work!

I STILL don't understand this.

Pulaski Mar 4th 2014 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11158131)
Similar thing - I was always surprised that private mail was delivered to an unlocked box at the end of the drive. In Britain, that would never work!

Similarly, pick-up trucks would never catch on in the UK the way they did here. There is a reason why tradesmen in the UK all drive transit vans not pick-ups. I have left tools and equipment in my truck while shopping at Lowes and for groceries, but would never have dreamt of being able to do that in the UK. :unsure:

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11158136)
I STILL don't understand this.

The Royal Mail doesn't have its own police force with powers of arrest though. :huh:

Nutek Mar 4th 2014 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11158139)
Similarly, pick-up trucks would never catch on in the UK the way they did here. There is a reason why tradesmen in the UK all drive transit vans not pick-ups. I have left tools and equipment in my truck while shopping at Lowes and for groceries, but would never have dreamt of being able to do that in the UK. :unsure:

The Royal Mail doesn't have its own police force with powers of arrest though.

It's actually pretty interesting. Petty crime (around here) seems considerably lower than I was used to in the UK (theft from yard, pickup bed, mailbox type stuff), whilst more serious crime seems more prevalent.

dunroving Mar 4th 2014 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11158139)

I knew there was something similar I was trying to think of - diminishing grey matter and 8 years since I lived there mean I couldn't remember. But yes, I remember going on shopping trips to Lowe's, Sam's Club, and just leaving stuff in the back while I popped from one to the other.

Weird - over there you are much more likely to get shot dead but there is much less petty pilfering, vandalism, and discourtesy. Here, you are more likely to get vandalised, told to f*** off or have your car badge nicked, but highly unlikely to get shot dead.

Can't remember what all that has to do with the thread title ...

dunroving Mar 4th 2014 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11158149)
It's actually pretty interesting. Petty crime (around here) seems considerably lower than I was used to in the UK (theft from yard, pickup bed, mailbox type stuff), whilst more serious crime seems more prevalent.

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11158151)
I knew there was something similar I was trying to think of - diminishing grey matter and 8 years since I lived there mean I couldn't remember. But yes, I remember going on shopping trips to Lowe's, Sam's Club, and just leaving stuff in the back while I popped from one to the other.

Weird - over there you are much more likely to get shot dead but there is much less petty pilfering, vandalism, and discourtesy. Here, you are more likely to get vandalised, told to f*** off or have your car badge nicked, but highly unlikely to get shot dead.

I think we must have ESPN.

Pulaski Mar 4th 2014 5:48 pm

..... Weird - over there you are much more likely to get shot dead but there is much less petty pilfering, vandalism, and discourtesy. ....

My working theory is that these things are connected. :nod:

joto Mar 4th 2014 5:54 pm

What surprised me is that some stores can leave most of their displays out over night and they don't get trashed or stolen.

markonline1 Mar 4th 2014 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11158149)

I still remember ordering my new flat screen tv to be delivered here whilst I we still in England. I was a little concerned about my wife being home to receive the delivery as she doesn't get home from work till about 6. She told me not to worry so I ordered it and on the day UPS emailed to say it was out for delivery, sure enough I had photo confirmation from the wife to say she had it. I remarked on how lucky it was that we were one of the last deliveries enabling the to catch her in when she said no, it was sitting on the front porch she I got home. Whaaaaaaaaaaat? That would have lasted 30 seconds in the UK. I've put broken furniture out for the bin men in the UK that's been nicked within the hour LOL.

dunroving Mar 4th 2014 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11158173)
My working theory is that these things are connected. :nod:

:lol: I am a bit slow sometimes.

Yorkieabroad Mar 4th 2014 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by CelticRover (Post 11158044)
Have you checked your bargain mattress lately?

http://www.furniturenews.net/news/ar...tress-van-scam

First line of the article......
"Don't buy supposedly 'cheap' mattresses from the back of a van" ....no shit, Sherlock....:unsure:

Nor will I buy a tv from the guy cruising the HEB car park, nor allow the other guys cruising the same car park to repair that minor dent in the back of my wife's car, even if they do work for the Mazda dealer and will do a great job for me.....:rolleyes:

Hotscot Mar 4th 2014 6:59 pm

Nor will I become a Mormon even though, apparently, I am unhappy with my life even though I feel happy with my life.
(Or is that Jehova's Witnesses?)

What do I know...

Bob Mar 4th 2014 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11157682)
Leaving money on the table at a restaurant to pay for thr meal and/or tip the server in cash. I know they usually bring the check in a cover you can put the cash in but whenever we leave I always half-expect them to come running after us because someone has swiped it between us leaving and the server/busser picking it up. I'd never leave money on a table in the UK.

It doesn't bother me, as we did that in the UK too.

Though I did see someone going around the bar picking up peoples tips to buy drinks with at the bar which put me off a bit.

One weird one is our kids school doing a candle sale fund raiser and I've also seen a flower/plant seed sale.

Uncle_Bob Mar 4th 2014 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11157682)
Leaving money on the table at a restaurant to pay for thr meal and/or tip the server in cash. I know they usually bring the check in a cover you can put the cash in but whenever we leave I always half-expect them to come running after us because someone has swiped it between us leaving and the server/busser picking it up. I'd never leave money on a table in the UK.

I've had British relatives that are physically unable to leave the table until the servers return to pick up a cash tip. If they take a long time to return then they will pick up the cash and go looking for the server to hand it over in person.

limeynus Mar 4th 2014 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 11157972)
I don't know if it's specifically a Southern California thing but I've often noticed an unusually frequent occurrence of old beat up trucks, about 30 years old, traveling up and down on the freeway piled wobbly high with mattresses.

Of course said mattresses commonly end up on the shoulder at some point.

These are usually headed south of the border to Mexico. They always look so dodgy piled up so high! I usually avoid them if I see them on the roads.

Hotscot Mar 4th 2014 11:27 pm

Hey Limey...where you at? :)