WTF in America

Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:50 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by md95065
... and personal injury lawyer adverts and web sites ...

Here's a favorite of mine: http://injuredinflorida.com/
"DUI? failed a breath test? Call us, we'll get you off"
Old Mar 9th 2014, 3:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
... and personal injury lawyer adverts and web sites ...

Here's a favorite of mine: http://injuredinflorida.com/
Best ones I saw heading into Chicago, on the interstate "Just crashed? Text us at xyz with details and we'll help you"
Old Mar 10th 2014, 2:27 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Minor WTFs are springing to mind, like the lack of roundabout interchanges on motorways (or whatever of the 35 US equivalent words you wish to use here for a limited access, divided highway designed for high speed driving). I mean the cloverleaf is cool and all but it wastes so much space. The diamond may be a classic but the roundabout interchange is the way to go, second bridge be damned.

Lack of roundabouts in general, actually. We have some good ones now but too few and roundabouts kick the shite out of 4-way stops in almost all cases.

While staying on the roads, I generally like US road signs and the numbering scheme but I often find myself missing a good old Worboys sign with the Transport font.

The lack of nearby places to play snooker rounds out the list
Old Mar 10th 2014, 2:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Minor WTFs are springing to mind, like the lack of roundabout interchanges on motorways (or whatever of the 35 US equivalent words you wish to use here for a limited access, divided highway designed for high speed driving). I mean the cloverleaf is cool and all but it wastes so much space. The diamond may be a classic but the roundabout interchange is the way to go, second bridge be damned. ....
We're about to get diverging diamonds. They're working on several, but I don't think any have been put into operation yet.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 2:44 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We're about to get diverging diamonds. They're working on several, but I don't think any have been put into operation yet.
Looks interesting, I haven't enountered those yet. Round this way, all we have are clovers, parclos and diamonds (apart from a few impressive spaghetti-style ones at major interstate exchanges).

I think the roundabout is etched into my psyche though
Old Mar 10th 2014, 3:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Looks interesting, I haven't enountered those yet. Round this way, all we have are clovers, parclos and diamonds (apart from a few impressive spaghetti-style ones at major interstate exchanges).

I think the roundabout is etched into my psyche though
They're designed/ intended to stop traffic backing up onto the interstate because one phase of the lights allows traffic on both off ramps to enter the junction and leave the junction whether turning left or right without hitting a red light. In other words, traffic from one off ramp doesn't block traffic from the other.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 3:22 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They're designed/ intended to stop traffic backing up onto the interstate because one phase of the lights allows traffic on both off ramps to enter the junction and leave the junction whether turning left or right without hitting a red light. In other words, traffic from one off ramp doesn't block traffic from the other.
The idea of traffic lights on the mainline of an interstate is rather jarring to me though
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

While staying on the roads, I generally like US road signs and the numbering scheme but I often find myself missing a good old Worboys sign with the Transport font.
States that have exit/entry ramps on the fast lane. That's just epic fail.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:41 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That would be us. Lots of 'em.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:52 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh, the good old left hand exit? They have those here but I have never had to use one. Seems like a silly idea, I think they like them in Chicago because they can help save space in tight areas.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Bob
The ramp from I85 south to I77 in NC, joins I77 as the fast lane of a four lane southbound carriageway. The only positive thing you can say about it is that it becomes a lane, drivers are not forced into an existing fast lane. However, the problems arise because heavy traffic from I85 south headed to downtown Charlotte, or Columbia, SC, and points south, is squeezed into a single lane, so this "fast lane" is often congested and slow moving, which often encourages drivers to duck to the right where there is more room, ..... and traffic already on I77 is often exceeding the 55mph limit.

Worse still, and thankfully I have only seen this once, if a vehicle at the point where the concrete wall (between the on ramp from I85 southbound and the existing I77 fast lane), ends, stop and literally makes a 90° right turn across three lanes of I77 southbound, it can join the on ramp for I85 northbound.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 10th 2014 at 5:42 am.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Nutek
That would be us. Lots of 'em.
Yes...but I didn't want to be seen to be picking on CT
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Oh, the good old left hand exit? They have those here but I have never had to use one. Seems like a silly idea, I think they like them in Chicago because they can help save space in tight areas.
We've got exits on the fast lane in MA, along the Pike into Boston, but we don't have entry ramps onto the fast lane at least...
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:13 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes...but I didn't want to be seen to be picking on CT
I'm watchin you....

But yeah, we have merge-into-fast lane going on here. I drive by one every morning where the fast lane traffic is averaging 80mph and more traffic is dumped into the middle of it from the left.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 6:09 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
We've got exits on the fast lane in MA, along the Pike into Boston, but we don't have entry ramps onto the fast lane at least...
I think it's only ever exits. I haven't heard of a merge on from the left but there may well be one somewhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.