WTF in America

Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by lansbury
SNIP.
Thanks for those recollections. Perhaps police forces need to re-examine their training and perhaps question their purpose.

I recall being told as a child the police were there to help you, if you got lost find a nice policeman etc. I feel if I went to a cop here and asked for directions or the time of day he would immediately put his hand on his sidearm face me and ask me why I wanted to know. A very aggressive stance that immediately raises tensions.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:50 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

In the time I spent on the street in uniform (10 years) I face three possible firearms.
Thanks for your personal experience.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 24th 2014 at 10:16 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:51 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Must be a slow news day. A school shooting in NC a couple of weeks ago didn't seem to create even a ripple in the national news coverage.
I'm guessing this one will not either.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Probably because OMG EBOLA

The things more than ebola meme on twitter is starting to get weird. So far in the past few days I've seen:

married to kim kardashian
Donald Trump Bankruptcies
Flu deaths
car deaths
gun deaths
asphyxiated while masturbating
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Thanks for that. Interesting, too. It seems to suggest that the current system is fine. Maybe keep enough firearm trained officers on each shift and a lockup of weapons at the station should the need arise, but otherwise just leave things the way they are.
Always been guns at UK police stations throughout my service. Usually six .38s and 100 rounds. These days the Met has armed patrols on 24/7, so not sure what the situation is at the police stations since I retired.

I am just so used to seeing armed policemen out and about (NI and here in the US) I suppose I'm desensitized to it. I was way off in my estimation on that one.
Once you get used to it you don't pay any attention. I tend to look out of interest to see what they are carrying.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Thanks for those recollections. Perhaps police forces need to re-examine their training and perhaps question their purpose.

I recall being told as a child the police were there to help you, if you got lost find a nice policeman etc. I feel if I went to a cop here and asked for directions or the time of day he would immediately put his hand on his sidearm face me and ask me why I wanted to know. A very aggressive stance that immediately raises tensions.
In the UK officers police by consent. In the US by force, the gun makes the difference.

He puts his hand on his sidearm to protect it, and respond to any threat. Look at the number of US officers killed on duty and compare that to the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the UK officers police by consent. In the US by force, the gun makes the difference.

He puts his hand on his sidearm to protect it, and respond to any threat. Look at the number of US officers killed on duty and compare that to the UK.
Oh I understand why he does it. I guess I feel it's a chicken and egg situation, which came first the cop gun or the bad guy shooting the cop? Having got to the point where they are policing by force there is no way to go back to consent. Hmm, perhaps Pandora's box then.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:07 pm
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

Marysville school shooting as student opens fire in cafeteria | Daily Mail Online

So once again dead children, and once again the US gun nuts are swarming all over the comments.

A seriously sick society and one that will never be cured.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Always been guns at UK police stations throughout my service. Usually six .38s and 100 rounds. These days the Met has armed patrols on 24/7, so not sure what the situation is at the police stations since I retired.
That seems reasonable.

Once you get used to it you don't pay any attention. I tend to look out of interest to see what they are carrying.
It was Ruger Speed 6 for the RUC. .38, as you say. Those and plastic baton rounds. Now I believe they carry Glocks and MP5s for special response units.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the number of US officers killed on duty and compare that to the UK.
Although many Americans assume that being a US police officer is a very dangerous job, it ranks only 16th behind being a taxi/limousine driver. Deaths due to confrontations per year is usually less than 20 but like a taxi/limousine driver, they are driving about 8 hours per day and have a much greater risk of being killed in a car accident (about 8x times greater) than in a confrontation.

Most Dangerous Jobs in America List

Last edited by Michael; Oct 24th 2014 at 11:03 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 11:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It was the main story on cnn.com earlier today, so it already has done. The NC incident I alluded to was, as far I can tell, never even mentioned on cnn.com.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 1:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
Marysville school shooting as student opens fire in cafeteria | Daily Mail Online

So once again dead children, and once again the US gun nuts are swarming all over the comments.

A seriously sick society and one that will never be cured.
Again the major news networks ask...how can this keep happening? Duh!!!
Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Again the major news networks ask...how can this keep happening? Duh!!!
I cannot deal with the stupidity anymore

I've heard "what could be going on in these kids lives that they have to do this" well.... Access to guns for one.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Extremely sad and unnecessary.

Trying not to think about it.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 4:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

With the amount of guns physically present in the US/Canada/Mexico, if strict controls and bans went into affect today lets say, any idea how many years it would take before there were so few available that it would reduce things like this?

I hate guns so I'd not complain about tough restrictions on having them.

Even up here, the Ottawa shooter was able to obtain a gun despite having a firearms ban in him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.