WTF in America

Old Feb 25th 2021, 11:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by zzrmark
You bloody heathen, you're supposed to fry it up and, presumably, serve it with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

I'll stay a heathen thanks
Old Feb 25th 2021, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
But, but - they have to buy the pink paint (girls room) or blue paint (boys room)!

Come to think of it (serious question) ... don't they have tests for this kind of thing? Are these people intentionally not finding out and doing the gender reveal party instead?!
the whole thing makes me mad, from the point that it's the baby's SEX, not the baby's GENDER and who seriously cares as long as the baby is healthy to the whole bizarre creepy pink and blue nonsense that reinforces gender stereotyping that underscores much of the extreme transgender discussion. We'd be much better off accepting you can be a girl and like mud and trains and hating skirts and grow up to be an engineer or coal miner and still be a girl - and you can be a boy who likes sparkly unicorns and skipping and grows up to be a beautician and you can still be a boy. Everyone is unique, deserving of respect and dignity and none of it should depend on what your genitalia arrangement is.

Sorry, rant over.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
the whole thing makes me mad, from the point that it's the baby's SEX, not the baby's GENDER and who seriously cares as long as the baby is healthy to the whole bizarre creepy pink and blue nonsense that reinforces gender stereotyping that underscores much of the extreme transgender discussion. We'd be much better off accepting you can be a girl and like mud and trains and hating skirts and grow up to be an engineer or coal miner and still be a girl - and you can be a boy who likes sparkly unicorns and skipping and grows up to be a beautician and you can still be a boy. Everyone is unique, deserving of respect and dignity and none of it should depend on what your genitalia arrangement is.

Sorry, rant over.
I'd be happy if people would just stop blowing shit up !
Old Feb 25th 2021, 9:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'd be happy if people would just stop blowing shit up !
Wasn't a gender reveal party responsible for one of the most destructive wildfires in California? A couple I worked for kept the sex of their new addition secret from Grandma, but Gramps and I found out by carefully questioning their 3 year old. Still didn't tell her. We all knew how much meddling she would do and she didn't need an early start. The afternoon of the birth she came to where I was working and tried to find out just for the extra hour or two. No way.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 10:09 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Today Buzzfeed Daily, and Jenna Karvunidis, credited with creating the gender reveal party, starting at 5:00
https://www.buzzfeed.com/daily/creat...arty-dangerous

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 25th 2021 at 10:14 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Wasn't a gender reveal party responsible for one of the most destructive wildfires in California? A couple I worked for kept the sex of their new addition secret from Grandma, but Gramps and I found out by carefully questioning their 3 year old. Still didn't tell her. We all knew how much meddling she would do and she didn't need an early start. The afternoon of the birth she came to where I was working and tried to find out just for the extra hour or two. No way.
Yep, in September. 22,000 acres burnt, 1 death (fire fighter) 10 structures destroyed and 16 damaged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado_Fire
Old Feb 26th 2021, 2:02 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yep, in September. 22,000 acres burnt, 1 death (fire fighter) 10 structures destroyed and 16 damaged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado_Fire
Gender reveal parties have become a trope of annoying first-time parent self regard. Also, people shouldn't set off explosives in fire prone areas.

Still, these whole "the fire was started by X and they should be blamed" arguments bothers me. Implicit in that argument is that fire is something to be prevented in these areas.

A rant in handy numbered form.
1. These areas are natural tinderboxes. Bone dry, filled with biomass, dry winds etc, etc. Something is always going to set them off whether it be lightning or human stupidity. They have literally evolved to burn. Fire has been happening in these areas for so many years that plants in fire-prone areas like these parts of California can't germinate without fire. It's stupid to pretend that it's a "tragedy" every time a fire occurs in an area that has been burning every year for millions of years. Fires are a completely natural, necessary thing in these ecosystems.
2. The giant conflagrations we see in recent years are driven by the idiotic fire-prevention strategies deployed in the American West for prior decades. As people have (stupidly, I'll return to this point) moved into these fire-prone areas, the local authorities have continually put out fires to save the property in the area. The result has been an unnatural build up of fuel on the ground. Natural fire cycles would have tamped this down and cleared out the fuel, humans have created these bombs. Fire management strategies are far more enlightened these days, but the decades of mistakes made are going to take a while to fix.
3. People keep moving into these fire-prone areas and then being "shocked" when their house burns. This is like living in the Mississippi floodplain and then being surprised when your house is inundated every year. Federal disaster relief and various insurance schemes encourage this dumb behavior. The same thing encourages people to build right on the shoreline in hurricane-prone areas. This drives me nuts. If you build a multi-million dollar mansion in the canyons of Malibu, you should expect it to burn to the ground every few years.

People shouldn't go out into these areas are actively try to start fires, but we also shouldn't believe that these areas should never burn and that if they do burn something has gone wrong.

Last edited by Hiro11; Feb 26th 2021 at 2:08 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad's neighborhood has some excitement going on today, Swat stand off little info in the news however.

As far as I am aware via my step sister my dad and step mom are safe, not confirmed in media, but my step sister says its apparently a man holding his wife hostage.

Generally its a pretty quiet neighborhood so a bit shocking to have this happening.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 26th 2021 at 11:14 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 2:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom

Sorry, rant over.
An invitation to a Sex Reveal party might not go into the bin as quickly as a Gender Reveal one

Great post btw
Old Feb 27th 2021, 3:12 am
Account Closed

Local San Diego area media have some more detailed reports now.

63 year old man, retired Navy. He had called police Thursday night to report he had killed his wife, for whatever reason police were unable to determine his location during the initial call. Sometime between the call Thursday night and late Friday morning police figured out his location and surrounded his house, he was believed to have a gun. Police had talked to him during part of the day, then he stopped answering their calls, late afternoon special tactical team was brought in, and 6pm the man was arrested.

Crazy, never had this type of event so close to people I know, but I realized I should stop trying to save $10 a month on the cell phone and get US calling because there is no way I could even make a call today because we only have Canada wide calling and my dad doesn't do modern technology like skype or zoom or even email really, calling is about the only way to contact him.

https://fox5sandiego.com/breaking/po...e-killed-wife/
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Reporter in San Diego doing a live news report on the comic con cancellation this year, when shots ring out between police and a suspect. (nothing graphic in the video)

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...icer_involved/

It involved San Diego Harbor Police officer who pulled a driver over for running a red light, when asked to step out of the vehicle the driver open fire, the officer returned fire. Neither the suspect nor officer were injured.

One bystander was hit by a stray bullet but no injured, the bullet lodge in his glasses case.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/lo...d-bf9137162dad
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thirteen die in southern California crash near Mexico border

Twenty-five people were said to have been travelling in the SUV, which would legally have had a capacity for eight or nine.
How the hell do you get 25 people in a Ford Explorer?
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Thirteen die in Southern California crash near Mexico border

Ford Expedition..quite a bit larger than the Explorer. Still 25

My Expedition carried 8 people. Apart from the driver...another 7 sat on the knees of the passengers...15. Could get say another 3 in the back and another 7 on the floor. That’s without taking the seats out.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 2nd 2021 at 10:33 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

You'd be surprised how many people smugglers can get into a vehicle. A decade or so back there was a mini van a border patrol pulled over and something like 23 or 24 jumped out of it, aero star type mini van.

Old Mar 2nd 2021, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

That was my first thought (in the bigger model as previously noted), then I remembered that the record for number of people crammed in a BL Mini was stupidly high and I reckon you've got twice the volume in an Expedition - 28 in a Mini...

It's funny how people's minds work, J' mentions smugglers, implying illegals, my first thought was workers crossing the border. The number of people that pile out of the painters/drywallers/masons transit vans on the building sites is something to behold - and the vans still look crammed full of materials when they've exited.

Either way, a tragic loss of life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.