WTF in America

Old Feb 12th 2021, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by zzrmark
If that's in relation to my post, I'm in my surrogate home, with the wife's sister and her family, in South Carolina.
it’s really in relation to the never ending stream of Brits who ask how they can move to Florida.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Is there a recycling benefit on those cans? You could make a fortune if you turned them in.
Originally Posted by caretaker
$368.15 (at a quick guess) where I am. I only drink soda (pop in Canada) as mix, and the rest is beer cans, water bottles and cartons from half and half cream, plus a crate of booze bottles and some boxes of import beer bottles. What's in the trailer doesn't look too far out of line with my own recycling, maybe a little more.
We loaded them into the trailer to take them to weigh in. 40c on the lb returned a measly $172, they consisted nearly entirely of diet Pepsi and Dr Pepper cans. If you are quoting Canadian dollars, Caretaker, then I don't think you were too far off. Five years ago they would have returned 70c/lb, brother in law was waiting for the price to go up, cans have been realising 20c/lb round here for a few years now, and some local places are still only giving 25c/lb.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 9:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I was using Cdn $, but still quite a ways off, because we're paid by the each, .10 for small can or plastic bottle, .20 or .25 for the 2L ones, etc.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 2:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I was using Cdn $, but still quite a ways off, because we're paid by the each, .10 for small can or plastic bottle, .20 or .25 for the 2L ones, etc.
I like the way some do it in the US by the pound, it's always so tedious returning the cans, sorting them and the depots are always so dirty and nasty,

I can usually post on FB bag of cans and they are gone in under an hour.

But we don't drink much these days with deposits, and plastic isn't recyclable at the moment where we live if it doesn't have a deposit, so into the trash it goes, mostly milk jugs, the recycling company wont take them or most plastic as there is no market and they got tired of storing bales and bales of plastic with no buyers.

Apartments don't generally have city pick up, so the for profit companies only take the recycling they have buyers for.

Old Feb 14th 2021, 5:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I like the way some do it in the US by the pound, it's always so tedious returning the cans, sorting them and the depots are always so dirty and nasty,
I registered for the SARCAN Drop 'n Go system pre-pandemic and have used it 5 or 6 times for work and my own stuff. I go in the building and access my account on the Drop 'n Go machine with my email address, enter the number of tags I need (5 bags of cans and plastic, 4 cases import beer bottles, 2 boxes glass liquor bottles = 11 sticky tags) and the machine spits them out. I go out to the van, affix a tag to each bag or box, drive around to the loading door in back, unload and ring the buzzer. Cheerful greetings, a wave, and drive away. A day or 2 later $86.25 shows up in my PayPal account. They've recently added an e-transfer option.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I always take that kind of stuff to a metal recycling facility. The clientele and operatives are usually almost all rough and ready types just trying to make a few bucks to survive and I worry every time that my, not so pristine, truck is going to come out of there with a puncture or having suffered from a getaway bouncing fridge but the puke emoji seems a tad excessive.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 6:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I like the UK way. No deposit. Council picks them up in the recycling bin. No hassle.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I always take that kind of stuff to a metal recycling facility. The clientele and operatives are usually almost all rough and ready types just trying to make a few bucks to survive and I worry every time that my, not so pristine, truck is going to come out of there with a puncture or having suffered from a getaway bouncing fridge but the puke emoji seems a tad excessive.
Honestly don't know if metal recycling places will take them here due to the deposit on them, curbside wont usually because of that. Never tried a metal recycling place but honestly they are not easier to get to...

I also had nowhere to store them, apartment life, lack of anywhere to put anything, some reason they put little storage in apartments these days and then yell if you store the cans out on the patio.

I did notice today at Wal-Mart more and more things are showing a recycling symbol in a circle with a slash through it, I suppose it means not recyclable, mostly plastic like packaging with chips, crackers, cookies and such.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I did notice today at Wal-Mart more and more things are showing a recycling symbol in a circle with a slash through it, I suppose it means not recyclable, mostly plastic like packaging with chips, crackers, cookies and such.
This whole 'recyclable symbol' thing is a bit of a joke. Our HOA is constantly chastising everyone for putting the wrong things in the recycle container, and yet, those things do have some recycle symbol on them. But the devil is in the details; some items are 'recyclable' only with very specific technology. So if you just look at the product and assume it's recyclable because it has the symbol on it, you are probably doing it wrong. A recent flyer from our HOA pointed out that plastic bottles are OK, but not their caps. A cardboard carton of 'chicken stock' in my fridge says "this product carton may not be recylable in your area' - right below the recyclable symbol!
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Gender-reveal device explosion kills father-to-be

I would like to say a Darwin candidate but he's disqualified because he already procreated.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 10:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Gender-reveal device explosion kills father-to-be

I would like to say a Darwin candidate but he's disqualified because he already procreated.
So does the fatherless baby have a penis or vagina? I think we should be told. After all he died in the process of telling everyone this vitally important piece of information.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So does the fatherless baby have a penis or vagina? I think we should be told. After all he died in the process of telling everyone this vitally important piece of information.
A son. The victim was nicknamed Frankenstein and was building a celebratory device that sane people call a pipe bomb...
Old Feb 24th 2021, 12:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A son. The victim was nicknamed Frankenstein and was building a celebratory device that sane people call a pipe bomb...
Honest to ****ing god people are D.U.M.B. Good luck explaining to the kid that his dad died because he was stupid because there's no way you can sugar coat that.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 1:00 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

So does the fatherless baby have a penis.
Dunno but his father was one.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You are making me realize that 'gender reveal' is so 'yesterday'. Soon, it will be a 'future gender reveal' party, predicting what gender the baby will have when it turns 20!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.