WTF in America

Old Nov 8th 2020, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Shard
I would find it a hard to decide on whether to own a gun or not (were I to live in the USA). When so many people have them, and so many crazies are about, there would be an incentive to buy one. On the other hand, the stats indicate that one is far morely likely to be shot as a gun owner. Tough call.
When I took security guard training they provided stats armed vs unarmed security, and yeah, the armed security guards were more likely to be shot and killed compared to unarmed, basically just having a gun escalates any encounter with someone else who happens to have a gun and the numbers presented on armed security being shot by their own gun after a struggle, I was like nope, not worth the extra $1 per hour to be armed security, I will take unarmed thank you very much.

Kind of scary too thinking that there was security guards walking around with guns making $10 per hour with minimal training. (that was the wage back in 2007). Now with min wage being higher in California, I'd imagine armed guards are making at least $15 or $16 per hour, but I doubt the training is any better, most of the armed guards were just police department rejects, they all had a screw loose if you ask me.

Old Nov 8th 2020, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds lie a lot of people has access to gun ranges at school.

They have the 4H here which seems to a Scouts equivalent. More farming and ranching focussed,
Old Nov 8th 2020, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds lie a lot of people has access to gun ranges at school.

They have the 4H here which seems to a Scouts equivalent. More farming and ranching focussed,
According to this currently 200 independent and 60 state schools. I know my school dropped it (and the Boy Scouts) a while back, maybe related to kiddie-fiddling in both organizations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Cadet_Force
Old Nov 8th 2020, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
According to this currently 200 independent and 60 state schools. I know my school dropped it (and the Boy Scouts) a while back, maybe related to kiddie-fiddling in both organizations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Cadet_Force
I did not realise Boy Scouts were associated with Schools.
Old Nov 8th 2020, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

None of my schools offered any direct access to gun ranges. But maybe the students in the JROTC programs or whatever they were called did.
Old Nov 8th 2020, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Much as I love my dog(s) there is no way that something that likes nothing better than to shove it's nose in it's arse and then try to lick my face is going to be given that opportunity when I'm trying to catch some shut eye.
Cats are no go around me, my skin is like seasoned leather but the merest hint of cat hair and I need to scratch it off.
And they walk around outside, stepping in shit and mud ... and their buts are dirty ...
Old Nov 8th 2020, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I would find it a hard to decide on whether to own a gun or not (were I to live in the USA). When so many people have them, and so many crazies are about, there would be an incentive to buy one. On the other hand, the stats indicate that one is far morely likely to be shot as a gun owner. Tough call.
Sadly, after 60+ years of life on this planet, I'm thinking the same!
Old Nov 8th 2020, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was awoken a couple of nights ago by a noise downstairs. I got up and looked around, found nothing and went back to sleep. Turned out a strong gust of wind had most likely blown through the vent in the garage door and knocked/smashed a plastic container. So, yeh, this gun stuff and the attitudes that seem to go with it strike me as almost totally counterproductive.

My (public) school had a CCF when I was there. I didn't join. I did fire a gun there at their firing range and missed the target every time. Almost certainly the first and last time I'll fire a gun.
I have yet to touch a real gun; I don't want to be near one. But ... as indicated by my last post ... I'm starting to think it might be an idea to own one (having seen all those armed Trump-supporting morons parading around with guns). If I do, I will take lessons, and lock it up.

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 8th 2020 at 7:02 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2020, 7:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
We have found it a very tough call. The data seems to point to arms being more likely to lead to our harm than to avoid harm. That combined with thinking about the balance of useability and access with safe storage leaves us without guns at the moment.
Stats generally reveal that you are more likely to have guns stolen from you and used in a crime than you are to use them to defend yourself. At least that was the last statistic I read for Canada. When I sold my handguns I had already stopped recreational pistol shooting, so it was an easy call. If I wasn't a hunter I probably wouldn't have a gun.
Old Nov 8th 2020, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I did not realise Boy Scouts were associated with Schools.
I think it was extremely rare.
Old Nov 8th 2020, 8:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't that tough for me really. I don't want one so I don't have one. I don't see that changing any time soon.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 7:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care how many bitey, stingy, crawly and killy things there are in Australia, this born in the USA thing takes the biscuit (and anything else it wants)
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-54937355
Old Nov 14th 2020, 11:34 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I was awoken a couple of nights ago by a noise downstairs. I got up and looked around, found nothing and went back to sleep. Turned out a strong gust of wind had most likely blown through the vent in the garage door and knocked/smashed a plastic container. So, yeh, this gun stuff and the attitudes that seem to go with it strike me as almost totally counterproductive.

My (public) school had a CCF when I was there. I didn't join. I did fire a gun there at their firing range and missed the target every time. Almost certainly the first and last time I'll fire a gun.
Boiler's insinuation was that if only firearms training was available, then this type of thing wouldn't have happened, and shouldn't it just be taught in schools? Which is ridiculous on its face. Gun ownership is a choice and, if anybody chooses to own a gun, then they certainly have access to gun safety and education. Target shooting teams are popular in schools but, just like music and athletics, if you want to become proficient it may be on your parents to make sure you have the right equipment and proper instruction.

https://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-edu...ooting-ranges/
Old Nov 14th 2020, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Boiler's insinuation was that if only firearms training was available, then this type of thing wouldn't have happened, and shouldn't it just be taught in schools? Which is ridiculous on its face. Gun ownership is a choice and, if anybody chooses to own a gun, then they certainly have access to gun safety and education. Target shooting teams are popular in schools but, just like music and athletics, if you want to become proficient it may be on your parents to make sure you have the right equipment and proper instruction.

https://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-edu...ooting-ranges/
I know I don't need to remind you that the problem isn't the handler's proficiency, it's their limited mental reasoning capacity that is often the issue.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 5:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't care how many bitey, stingy, crawly and killy things there are in Australia, this born in the USA thing takes the biscuit (and anything else it wants)
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-54937355
Florida should really just be returned to nature.

As the commentator says, those things are basically dinosaurs walking around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.