WTF in America

Old Sep 14th 2014, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Django Unchained actress arrested because allegedly police think she is a prostitute for kissing her white husband.

Black actress Daniele Watts Django Unchained arrested for kissing white husband Brian Lucas after LA police think she's a prostitute | Metro News
Wow. Speechless.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Django Unchained actress arrested because allegedly police think she is a prostitute for kissing her white husband.

Black actress Daniele Watts Django Unchained arrested for kissing white husband Brian Lucas after LA police think she's a prostitute | Metro News
A situation that could have been avoided entirely if, when first stopped and asked for ID she had quietly agreed. It is entirely routine for everyone stopped for a traffic offense to provide ID, and if I was stopped on foot I wouldn't think twice about giving a police officer my ID, as it immediately validates my innocent reason for being there (this has happened to me once, and after a short conversation I was soon on my way). I understand that she might have been within her rights to refuse to give ID, but what she think the cop was going to do if she refused, shrug his shoulders and walk away? At that point being detained in handcuffs was the minimum consequence she could have expected.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 14th 2014 at 6:08 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:11 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A situation that could have been avoided entirely if, when first stopped and asked for ID she had quietly agreed. It is entirely routine for everyone stopped for a traffic offense to provide ID, and if I was stopped on foot I wouldn't think twice about giving a police officer my ID, as it immediately validates my innocent reason for being there (this has happened to me once, and after a short conversation I was soon on my way). I understand that she might have been within her rights to refuse to give ID, but what she think the cop was going to do if she refused, shrug his shoulders and walk away? At that point being detained in handcuffs was the minimum consequence she could have expected.
and if she had given up her right to not provide ID, we would be none the wiser that a black woman kissing a white man is considered to be a prostitute by these policemen.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

and if she had given up her right to not provide ID, we would be none the wiser that a black woman kissing a white man is considered to be a prostitute by these policemen.
Probably because prostitutes routinely refuse to give ID.

It's funny that those who place the greatest emphasis on freedom of speech, and freedom of action, are among those least tolerant of what people think.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:24 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Probably because prostitutes routinely refuse to give ID.
They thought she was a prostitute because they foresaw she would not produce ID?
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:28 pm

They thought she was a prostitute because they foresaw she would not produce ID?
No, she provided support for their "thought" when she refused ID, and was then detained and cuffed.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Had lunch with some friends today. Against my better judgement I allowed myself to be taken to a "british" pub.

Husbandchog developed a taste for scotch eggs in the UK and ordered a sampler that included them.

The bastards used ITALIAN SAUSAGE MEAT!!!

In the name of all that's holy why would you do that. I'm still hyperventilating.

Lx
Old Sep 14th 2014, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
Had lunch with some friends today. Against my better judgement I allowed myself to be taken to a "british" pub.

Husbandchog developed a taste for scotch eggs in the UK and ordered a sampler that included them.

In the name of all that's holy why would you do that. I'm still hyperventilating.

Lx
WTF 'British' pubs anyway. They remind me of the 2000 AD story where the whole of Ireland has been turned into a hideous theme park.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Sep 14th 2014 at 11:00 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
WTF 'British' pubs anyway. They remind me of the 2000 AD story where the whole of Ireland has been turned into a hideous theme park.
Yeah I would never normally but me and the other 2 brits were outvoted by the murricans
Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I would never normally but me and the other 2 brits were outvoted by the murricans
Old Sep 15th 2014, 2:24 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Lx
On a side note, that will teach you to poach your hubby's food ! although I will agree that is an abomination.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:21 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, we've got a great one near us...totally authentic. Well, apart from the name...Fox and Hound (singular) English pub and Grille (with an "e" ffs!). And I guess not many true English pubs have a couple of dozen large screen TVs showing NBA and NFL games non-stop. The barstaff are a bit better turned out than your typical English ones too...all done up like they're ready to play a few frames at the Crucible. Which is good, because the place also has 8 or 10 pink pool tables, just like my old local. Yes, it's a real home from home, which is why I go there so regularly.....once every 12 years or so.....
Old Sep 15th 2014, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

I will give this particular pub it's due inside it looked exactly like a British pub. In fact it looked like my Grandads local (before it got turned into a Weatherspoons) all gloomy wood and suspicious locals.

@SDDP - I didn't poach his food he ate half of it and asked me why it didn't taste right. I'm not going to risk ordering "british" food that hasn't been verified by an actual brit.

One of the other murricans got the fish and chips which tasted a bit like like 'country fried' fish, served of course with french fries.

Last edited by BubbleChog; Sep 15th 2014 at 12:50 pm. Reason: babychog likes to post stuff before i finish typing
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Every "British" pub in America I have visited made me feel a bit weird and uncomfortable. Even those owned and run by British people are nothing like British pubs. And if that's the food then no wonder Americans have such a dismal idea of British cuisine. I'm sure there are good ones out there, I've just given up trying them out. Irish pubs are far closer in style, and those are all nearly big-business chains.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Anian
Every "British" pub in America I have visited made me feel a bit weird and uncomfortable. Even those owned and run by British people are nothing like British pubs. And if that's the food then no wonder Americans have such a dismal idea of British cuisine. I'm sure there are good ones out there, I've just given up trying them out. Irish pubs are far closer in style, and those are all nearly big-business chains.
Too much paraphernalia on the walls.

Those terrible 'British newspapers'.

The Crown & Anchor in Thousand Oaks does a nice Cornish pasty and rhubarb crumble. The waiter still tries to snatch your plate away prematurely though.

The King's Head in Santa Monica also does some reasonable food but the amount of cheesy ornaments all over the bar makes it feel weird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.