WTF?

Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Re: WTF?

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
All that aside, I'm more than convinced that the quality of food in the UK is superior to the US in that there are fewer preservatives and chemicals, certainly less sugar! I'd give a lot to be able to convince US food producers to quit using HFCS, preservatives, food coloring, etc. I know I can buy organic products at Whole Foods, but prices in the Memphis area seem exhorbitant.
I agree that there are fewer preservatives and chemicals in the food in the UK. Also food in the US that is genetically modified is not labeled.

@CAdreaming let me know what you think once you've tried a green smoothie
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Leslie
Do you think the better quality food in the UK is less expensive than the better quality food in the US, for example what you can find at Whole Foods?

FWIW, I don't think you have to eat all organic in order to eat healthy and it doesn't have to expensive either. I won't lecture you too much though.

It sounds like you are probably making better choices when in the UK and that probably is due to culture and availability.
If you're going strictly for organic, it's probably as expensive there as here. But ordinary food in the UK seems healthier and tastier sans all the salt, sugar, preservatives, and other chemicals. Fresh fruits and veggies are readily available; fortunately I love rabbit food. As for food choices while visiting, UK's culture seems to demand fresh & real, whereas ours seems to demand long life and only a semblance of real. I'll get off my soap box now....
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:22 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
If you're going strictly for organic, it's probably as expensive there as here. But ordinary food in the UK seems healthier and tastier sans all the salt, sugar, preservatives, and other chemicals. Fresh fruits and veggies are readily available; fortunately I love rabbit food. As for food choices while visiting, UK's culture seems to demand fresh & real, whereas ours seems to demand long life and only a semblance of real. I'll get off my soap box now....
I don't disagree at all. It seems that you have to make more of an effort here.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

I just saw this in the UK forum. Looks like America will be exporting their way of treating animals for food to the UK

http://tiny.cc/myzl4
Old Jun 27th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brigette
I just saw this in the UK forum. Looks like America will be exporting their way of treating animals for food to the UK

http://tiny.cc/myzl4
Only watched part of this before the download quit, but what I saw was terribly sad and somewhat frightening. I remember reading sci-fi stories in my youth about mega/universal societies fed by monolithic food processors, etc. Funny, the word "Eloi" keeps popping into my head.....
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think the better quality food in the UK is less expensive than the better quality food in the US, for example what you can find at Whole Foods?
I think a lot of it comes from most grocery stores just selling bread as a loss leader, stuff like bread, milk, cheese, can of beans and now computer games because they know people will come in and buy the rest of the grocery shop and they'll make the money that way, especially with booze.

Don't have the concept of a loss leader quite so much over here.

So that's probably a big part of it...but also most towns and cities have a market, year round usually, where you can go get fresh stuff fairly cheaply, especially end of day goods that go for peanuts, which is also another thing that doesn't seem to happen here, the shops rather chuck out in fear of litigation than to sell something cheaply.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:21 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think a lot of it comes from most grocery stores just selling bread as a loss leader, stuff like bread, milk, cheese, can of beans and now computer games because they know people will come in and buy the rest of the grocery shop and they'll make the money that way, especially with booze.

Don't have the concept of a loss leader quite so much over here.

So that's probably a big part of it...but also most towns and cities have a market, year round usually, where you can go get fresh stuff fairly cheaply, especially end of day goods that go for peanuts, which is also another thing that doesn't seem to happen here, the shops rather chuck out in fear of litigation than to sell something cheaply.
Interesting.

Do you think New York City still does this?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I cut out all bread and all grains from my diet for several months, it made zero difference to me. Used to have sandwiches everyday. Now I have toast at the weekends but I never went back to the regular sandwich.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 11:15 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Not that this is the same, but a guy I used to chat with about running to stay healthy would fret endlessly about his weight. Except he didn't ever use pounds to explain his own weight but said that he visualized what he his weight in McDonalds Big Macs would be if poured all over his couch. He was in no way fat but he'd always say things like, "gotta pull off an extra mile or two today - I still weigh 630 Big Macs."
Old Jun 29th 2011, 3:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

Do you think New York City still does this?
No idea tbh.....but you can find good bargains at Hay Market in Boston and it generally is a good place to get fruit/veg and especially fish if you lived in or around the area, but it's not not feasible for us to do, which is a shame.

I've found a few farm market stands in the area, which are very good and some things are very cheaply priced, but other things are very expensive, especially the bread and cheeses and they don't seem to do the cheap end of day kind of stuff, stale bread might be a buck cheaper or so, but not to the same extent.

The other day when we were in Hay Market, there were people selling off the last of their stock, pineapples for $1, a box of carrots for a buck, same for a 5 pound bag of spuds, big bag of salad, all kinds of things going for next to nothing, but the regular prices weren't to bad either.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

ABY - would you care to report your progress on this topic? I was wondering how you were doing the other day!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 1:30 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
ABY - would you care to report your progress on this topic? I was wondering how you were doing the other day!
Lost about 15 lbs just by eating healthier and less of it, pretty much sticking to my earlier posts in this thread. Then quit the smokes back in late July and the healthy diet went straight to hell. I gained it all back plus a few by eating everything and all of it. Finally got disgusted when I realized that for the week of deer season (12 Nov) I pretty much ate meat and candy washed down by Mt Dew for 5 days straight. Then Thanksgiving this week... Now I'm trying to get back into the good habits I started this past summer.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Nov 27th 2011 at 1:34 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Lost about 15 lbs just by eating healthier and less of it, pretty much sticking to my earlier posts in this thread. Then quit the smokes back in late July and the healthy diet went straight to hell. I gained it all back plus a few by eating everything and all of it. Finally got disgusted when I realized that for the week of deer season (12 Nov) I pretty much ate meat and candy washed down by Mt Dew for 5 days straight. Then Thanksgiving this week... Now I'm trying to get back into the good habits I started this past summer.
I know the feeling..I constantly yo-yo with a good healthy diet and some exercise and then something else comes up in life and throws all the good work away again.

Good luck mate. I'm back being good for now and that's all because of a couple of bad cardiac related scares recently.

Stupidly last week I slipped when I was walking on the treadmill and now have burns and scrapes all down my legs. I really did burn rubber...I'm such a klutz
Old Nov 27th 2011, 9:34 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I know the feeling..I constantly yo-yo with a good healthy diet and some exercise and then something else comes up in life and throws all the good work away again.

Good luck mate. I'm back being good for now and that's all because of a couple of bad cardiac related scares recently.

Stupidly last week I slipped when I was walking on the treadmill and now have burns and scrapes all down my legs. I really did burn rubber...I'm such a klutz
You gooberette!! You're supposed to burn blubber, not rubber!!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
You gooberette!! You're supposed to burn blubber, not rubber!!

I told the kids about it and said I hoped I hadn't passed on the klutz gene to either of them....daughter sent back a picture of her swollen bruised elbow She was running to her car in the rain and her feet slipped from under her and she went down on her butt and hit her arm on the road. She was so embarrassed So I guess I have passed it on.....