WTF?

Old Jun 26th 2011, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF?

Thanks everyone for the reminder ... I bought the fish oil tabs from Costo but I am not in the habit of taking them every day. I will start RIGHT NOW !!!!

(swallow) ...
Old Jun 26th 2011, 11:04 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe, and Fatbrit posted a link to an interesting website, that animal fats and eggs are not dangerous.

I think the most important thing to remember is to eat real food. No hydrogenated oils, no pre-fab foods, processed sugars, commercial breads, white pastas, cheese, etc. They're all killers.

Luckily, I love vegetables and grains but I also love meat, eggs, oils, and butter. As omnivores humans can eat all of these things and be healthy.

Don't believe the hype and don't sell your soul to the medical industrial structure. Doctors kill more people than cows ever did.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

The secret answer to all this is to emigrate to Blighty. Every time I go back for a visit, I can eat what I want, when I want and my blood sugar goes way, way down. Have trouble controlling it here, but can eat everything I want over there with little problem. Had trouble convincing my doctor that I had monitored my blood sugar properly - but she finally got the message when I showed her the numbers! Guess real bacon & eggs, clotted cream, teas, toast, hash browns and fresh cream eclairs aren't that bad for you after all.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:02 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
The secret answer to all this is to emigrate to Blighty. Every time I go back for a visit, I can eat what I want, when I want and my blood sugar goes way, way down. Have trouble controlling it here, but can eat everything I want over there with little problem. Had trouble convincing my doctor that I had monitored my blood sugar properly - but she finally got the message when I showed her the numbers! Guess real bacon & eggs, clotted cream, teas, toast, hash browns and fresh cream eclairs aren't that bad for you after all.
I think you may have the answer but may not really know it. It may somewhat be related what you are eating but more likely the answer is how you are eating. When you're on holiday do you eat with less stress and pressure? Are you more leisurely in your approach to meals?

It's worth looking at the rates of heart disease in the French. The French, who by the way eat tons of fatty meats, liver, cream, butter, etc, have a ridiculously low rate of heart disease or high cholesterol / blood pressure. They eat smaller portions and eat slowly. They don't allow themselves to become so hungry they need to gorge. The lack of stress in this style of eating is less likely to trigger dangerous blood sugar situations and insulin resistance which is where the real danger lies.

Last edited by Leslie; Jun 27th 2011 at 12:05 am.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:11 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
<snip>Hmmmm - just noticed that it's 'specially formulated for the US'. I notice that Niacin is missing. My South African friend mentioned to me a few years ago here that Niacin is pretty much banned in the US, perhaps she's right? Does anyone know - and if so, why?
<snip>
Niacin is readily available in the US. You may be right in that you have to make more of an effort than in the UK though. The blended supplement that I take daily contains a relatively low dose of Niacin so I take a pure Niacin tablet a couple of times a week.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:39 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I love dipping bread in olive oil, but olive oil was on the bad list the doc gave me. So was alcohol, but I have heard the same as you about red wine. I don't use mayo, but I am a big fan of mustard. I wonder if mustard is good or bad?
Keep the olive oil - get rid of the bread. Alcohol is fine. Mustard is great but read the label and make sure it is what it says it is. Fire your doctor.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Another question about Fish Oil. The bottle I got from Costco says 'store at room temperature', and also 'avoid excessive heat'. The problem for me is, when in AZ, I go away for weeks at a time and leave my A/C off ... so the inside temp gets up to (maybe even over) 100F. Is it ok to keep them in the fridge? When they say, 'store at room temp', are they just trying to do me a favor by not requiring me to put in the fridge? I'd feel better keeping them there in my situation!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Another question about Fish Oil. The bottle I got from Costco says 'store at room temperature', and also 'avoid excessive heat'. The problem for me is, when in AZ, I go away for weeks at a time and leave my A/C off ... so the inside temp gets up to (maybe even over) 100F. Is it ok to keep them in the fridge? When they say, 'store at room temp', are they just trying to do me a favor by not requiring me to put in the fridge? I'd feel better keeping them there in my situation!
If the temp is going to be above say 85F+ I would take them with you, throw them away...or if you're desperate take them back to Costco for a full refund.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie

It's worth looking at the rates of heart disease in the French. The French, who by the way eat tons of fatty meats, liver, cream, butter, etc, have a ridiculously low rate of heart disease or high cholesterol / blood pressure. They eat smaller portions and eat slowly. They don't allow themselves to become so hungry they need to gorge. The lack of stress in this style of eating is less likely to trigger dangerous blood sugar situations and insulin resistance which is where the real danger lies.
Originally Posted by Leslie
Keep the olive oil - get rid of the bread. ...
OK, this one interests me ... I LOVE a good 'baguette' - which is not exactly 'whole grain', natural, etc ... the French have perfected the white, almost tasteless item that I adore (it's the texture - the crunchy crust, the fluffy inside, etc - not a 'flavor' thing). I can appreciate the grainy, heavy, healthy breads, but I do also love a good plain baguette. In the Bay Area, a good sourdough baguette is a treat for me. When you say, get rid of the bread', are you saying, avoid white bread ... which is exactly what a baguette is ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 27th 2011 at 1:26 am.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If the temp is going to be above say 85F+ I would take them with you, throw them away...or if you're desperate take them back to Costco for a full refund.
So the fridge does do some harm then? I travel all the time ... none of these options are particularly useful!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So the fridge does do some harm then? I travel all the time ... none of these options are particularly useful!
I think so...but I'm only guessing. I don't think the caps would be so sensitive to temp variation. I would contact Costco and ask.

BTW I'm one of those peeps who thinks 'sell by dates' and 'storage temps' should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

OK, this one interests me ... I LOVE a good 'baguette' - which is not exactly 'whole grain', natural, etc ... the French have perfected the white, almost tasteless item that I adore (it's the texture - the crunchy crust, the fluffy inside, etc - not a 'flavor' thing). I can appreciate the grainy, heavy, healthy breads, but I do also love a good plain baguette. In the Bay Area, a good sourdough baguette is a treat for me. When you say, get rid of the bread', are you saying, avoid white bread ... which is exactly what a baguette is ...
Thought I'd stick my pennyworth in. If your grandmother would recognise it as food, eat it. If the ingredients look like a chemical labs experiment, forget it. Also if you are going to eat soft fruit like berries, peaches, apricots make sure they are organic to avoid the herbicides, pesticides etc. Same goes for veg. If you are going to eat it without peeling, make sure it is organic.
"Nother thing if you don't eat enough cholesterol your body makes it.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:01 am
WTF?

I'll tell you what I mean. Forgive me if this gets too long.

At this point in his dietary genesis, I don't think ABY is going to take the time or effort it takes to get his hands on the right kind of bread. I also believe he is a volume eater and won't be able to just make do with a "pinch" of bad bread. I say this because, knowing him as a good friend with whom I've had many food related conversations, he's just exactly like me. Knowing the culture in which we were raised with the American eating style and our socialization with food, in his particular case, I think it's best for him to avoid bread right now. Breaking the bread habit is a HUGE breakthrough for some of us.

Incidentally, Moroccans are big time bread eaters and they generally make bread at home with zero sugar. Their diet is heavily influenced by the French ... the history speaks for itself. They eat long leisurely meals with lots of fruit, veg, soup, meat, butter, bread, etc. I don't think we can compare Moroccan heart disease with western culture due to poverty and other factors but I find their style of eating to be very healthy and easy to follow.

French bread, in its legitimate form, is just fine in small portions. Based on what you've said earlier in the thread about your body weight and other eating habits - go for it.

Last edited by Leslie; Jun 27th 2011 at 4:00 am.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:06 am
WTF?

Quite stressing. If you're taking it every day your supply will not last long enough to break down even if exposed to some heat. Don't kid yourself, they don't refrigerate the trucks and warehouses they store and transport supplements in prior to getting to the end user. Next time, if it makes you feel better, maybe buy a smaller bottle?

Last edited by Leslie; Jun 27th 2011 at 4:04 am.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:10 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I agree completely - ditch the bread. Totally. The improvement in everything - even feeling more awake - in three weeks is astounding. Most bread is garbage and once you do break the need to eat everything in some sort of food-on/in-bread it's amazing what it does for diet. Picking and choosing better bread just isn't gonna happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.