WTF?

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:50 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF?

Longevity is overrated.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
So far I've really just been using what we already had available. Haven't been shopping yet so the menu appears kind of limited and drastic, but I expect to expand the cupboard during the next shopping trip. And I'm not planning on cutting out stuff I like entirely at this point, I don't think bacon and eggs a couple times a month for Saturday breakfast or a good steak for dinner once in a while is going to hurt too much. I'll just cut down from 3 eggs to 1 and from a quarter pound of bacon to a few strips and instead of a eating a 20oz ribeye myself I'll share with my wife. The general idea is to eat healthy most of the time, splurge every once in a while but splurge in moderation. That, plus drink more water and excersise and I think I'll be OK.

Besides, my daughter keeps baking cupcakes...
check it out but latest thinking in the UK anyway is that there is no correlation between eggs and high cholesterol
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You can measure salad dressing you know. I don't like to go without, but I do use a measuring spoon to keep control of it.
Best thing to do with salad dressings, have it on the site, dip the fork into it and then spear whatever salad you're having...you'll have far less dressing and save a fortune of calories that way....so you can have more bacon bits
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:07 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

My Cholesterol levels are high? I know I'm 40. I have to eat what? I shouldn't eat what? Exerci... what? Walk? Stairs? Are you still speaking English because I can't understand the words that are coming out of your mouth!

How the hell did this happen?
When I read that you had high cholesterol levels, I nearly dropped my fried egg and bacon butty in shock. I have no idea how these things happen.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
check it out but latest thinking in the UK anyway is that there is no correlation between eggs and high cholesterol
Originally Posted by zargof
When I read that you had high cholesterol levels, I nearly dropped my fried egg and bacon butty in shock. I have no idea how these things happen.
See my post #28.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I always put milk in oatmeal. I didn't know that anyone used water.
So do I, it's foul with only water, great with whole milk, but to be a good girl I use fat free, it's passable.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
See my post #28.
Just been back to have a gander - makes sense to me
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Total was 192, I think "bad" was 142 and good was 50. I don't remember him mentioning Triglicerides. He said it wasn't bad enough for medication, but that I should make some "lifestyle" changes and he was betting that that (considering my current diet and excersise habits) would get things back to good levels. He also said lose some weight (I'm 5' 10" and around 205-210) I'm basically sedentary, I do walk a lot at work, but usually not for more than 5-10 min at a time. I do other physical stuff, but it's spotty. The Doc said those short walks weren't doing very much if they were under 20min.

So as of this past Friday when I learned all this, I've been eating things called "fruits" and "salads" for lunch instead of the KFC buffet, a bananna for breakfast, not eating as much of everything, not drinking soda, drinking water on purpose and started walking briskly and aimlessly for 20-40min at a stretch.
When I was about 45, I had almost the same conversation with my doctor - except, I was (and remain) 145 pounds, 5'11". My number was ... I think ... 250. I ate a lot of crap. Thanks to a g/f who was looking after her health, I adopted her ways - fish, fruit, vegetables basically. No more steaks/lamb chops/fried chicken every night. After about 7 years, my cholesterol is below 200 - still not good, but borderline medication, and getting lower every year. I walk a lot more, and feel way, way better.

But the funniest thing is, I now LOVE steamed broccoli with lemon juice, grilled Mahi Mahi, seared Ahi, Cantaloup, Watermelon, Blueberries ... . I eat a steak maybe once every 4 months (and often I'm disappointed); I have hash browns and bacon for breakfast maybe once a YEAR - and ... feel like crap afterwards. I honestly think my mind is a LOT sharper too. I also drink gallons of water, and a lot less coffee. I still can't resist beer at night though ... I will eat at Subway for lunch, and have a turkey sandwich with NO dressing, just oil and vinegar.

Good luck!

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 25th 2011 at 6:58 am.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 10:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
see post #31
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned fish oil capsules. I work in the cardiology dept at a major teaching hospital and all the docs recommend fish oil capsules to lower cholesterol.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: WTF?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned fish oil capsules. I work in the cardiology dept at a major teaching hospital and all the docs recommend fish oil capsules to lower cholesterol.
Oooh, I forgot to list it in my previous post. I take one every night when I go to bed...buy the 'one a day' ones at Costco...can't be doing with the ones where you take 2 tablets x thrice daily.

I saw one of those 'pop up' ads on my laptop a few days ago - apparently 'Berocca' is now available in the US (they're the soluble vitamin tablets which you dissolve in a glass of water):

http://buyberocca.com/en/index.php (Ha ha, love the headline, "Who Keeps Up Better, Americans or Expats" )

Hmmmm - just noticed that it's 'specially formulated for the US'. I notice that Niacin is missing. My South African friend mentioned to me a few years ago here that Niacin is pretty much banned in the US, perhaps she's right? Does anyone know - and if so, why?

UK formulation: http://www.berocca.co.uk/vitamin-c.htm

US formulation: http://www.buyberocca.com/en/the_secret/index.php

(I'm going to continue to buy mine from the UK!)

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 26th 2011 at 2:07 pm. Reason: Berocca formulation
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oooh, I forgot to list it in my previous post. I take one every night when I go to bed...buy the 'one a day' ones at Costco...can't be doing with the ones where you take 2 tablets x thrice daily.

I saw one of those 'pop up' ads on my laptop a few days ago - apparently 'Berocca' is now available in the US (they're the soluble vitamin tablets which you dissolve in a glass of water):

http://buyberocca.com/en/index.php (Ha ha, love the headline, "Who Keeps Up Better, Americans or Expats" )

Hmmmm - just noticed that it's 'specially formulated for the US'. I notice that Niacin is missing. My South African friend mentioned to me a few years ago here that Niacin is pretty much banned in the US, perhaps she's right? Does anyone know - and if so, why?

UK formulation: http://www.berocca.co.uk/vitamin-c.htm

(I'm going to continue to buy mine from the UK!)
You can buy Niacin tabs in Costco.

I also take the Costco Omega 3 Fish Oil tabs each day.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 3:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I forgot about that, I take 2 a day of those.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Costco sell a product called Cholest Off by Nature Made. It's made from plant extracts and claims to reduce cholesterol levels.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:56 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

+ 100

Absolutely. I was briefly on a statin a few years ago (evil vile ick yuck yuck poo) that caused such extreme side effects I came to the conclusion that I would rather die of a heart attack tomorrow than ever feel like that again. I take supplements and the last time I was tested my numbers were slightly elevated but not high enough for prescription medication - not that I would have taken them.

From the Mayo clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cho...ements/CL00013

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.