WTF?

Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:14 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF?

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I agree completely - ditch the bread. Totally. The improvement in everything - even feeling more awake - in three weeks is astounding. Most bread is garbage and once you do break the need to eat everything in some sort of food-on/in-bread it's amazing what it does for diet. Picking and choosing better bread just isn't gonna happen.
Yeah. This is my experience exactly. It's difficult at first but completely the right thing to do - at least for many of us.

Last edited by Leslie; Jun 27th 2011 at 2:30 am.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:29 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Quite stressing. If you're taking it every day your supply will not last long enough to break down even if exposed to some heat. Don't kid yourself, they don't refrigerate the trucks and warehouses they store and transport supplements in prior to getting to the end user. Next time, if it makes you feel better, maybe buy a smaller bottle?
That should have read as "quit stressing".
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Whew just read through all the posts. I agree with everyone on the benefits of eating oatmeal. If I am eating rolled organic oatmeal (purchased at Whole foods) I usually eat it raw with Almond milk and raisins (at times I do cook it as well). However if I am eating steel cut oatmeal, then that has to be cooked and is now my favorite.

4 months ago, I had high BP and was told that I needed to lose weight (but for some reason my cholesterol was not high but getting there). I didn't want to go the medication route so I decided to go on a 21 day vegan cleanse. Radical I know, but I thought it would give me a jump start and after the 21 days I would just go to eating healthy meals.

Consider me shocked when I lost 10 lbs during the 21 days. MY BP went down and so did my cholesterol levels. The cleanse was not a diet but just a different way of eating which included cutting out gluten and wheat (as that can have an adverse affect on some people). I had so much energy and felt so great that after the 21 days I never looked back and have continued on the same path.

Probably way to radical for most people, but what helped the most was the vegetables (lettuce the dark green varieties, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus,) Cruciferous vegetables: kale, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower) fruit: apples berries, peaches apricots and pears all of which are thermogenic.

I also love green smoothies and when I don't have time for oatmeal in the morning a green smoothie usually does the trick.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
I also love green smoothies and when I don't have time for oatmeal in the morning a green smoothie usually does the trick.
Three coffees and six ciggies work for me. Why anyone would want to eat in the morning is beyond me.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Three coffees and six ciggies work for me. Why anyone would want to eat in the morning is beyond me.
2 extra strong coffees work for me!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Whew just read through all the posts. I agree with everyone on the benefits of eating oatmeal. If I am eating rolled organic oatmeal (purchased at Whole foods) I usually eat it raw with Almond milk and raisins (at times I do cook it as well). However if I am eating steel cut oatmeal, then that has to be cooked and is now my favorite.

4 months ago, I had high BP and was told that I needed to lose weight (but for some reason my cholesterol was not high but getting there). I didn't want to go the medication route so I decided to go on a 21 day vegan cleanse. Radical I know, but I thought it would give me a jump start and after the 21 days I would just go to eating healthy meals.

Consider me shocked when I lost 10 lbs during the 21 days. MY BP went down and so did my cholesterol levels. The cleanse was not a diet but just a different way of eating which included cutting out gluten and wheat (as that can have an adverse affect on some people). I had so much energy and felt so great that after the 21 days I never looked back and have continued on the same path.

Probably way to radical for most people, but what helped the most was the vegetables (lettuce the dark green varieties, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus,) Cruciferous vegetables: kale, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower) fruit: apples berries, peaches apricots and pears all of which are thermogenic.

what's a green smoothie ?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

@CAdreaming... so sorry for not explaining properly. A green smoothie is a combination of raw green vegetable (spinach, kale etc) mixed with fruit to make a "green" smoothie.
Leafy greens are loaded with vitamins and nutrients so its makes for a healthy drink.

So many different combos. Example: 4 cups of organic spinach, 2 cups organic fresh or frozen mango, bananas (2) organic coconut water and blend. Some people use kale, kiwi, mangoes and strawberries and unsweetened almond milk or a combo that includes avocado etc. I find it to be quite delicious.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Quite stressing. If you're taking it every day your supply will not last long enough to break down even if exposed to some heat. Don't kid yourself, they don't refrigerate the trucks and warehouses they store and transport supplements in prior to getting to the end user. Next time, if it makes you feel better, maybe buy a smaller bottle?
Well, remember, I'm in AZ, it's summer, and I'm buying from COSTCO ... I'm looking at the bottle now ... 180 tablets (=6 months supply). Assuming it's not riddled with bad 'preservative' type things, that's quite a while. Last year in the summer I would go away for a week and the place would warm up inside to ... I dread to think but well over 100F.

I'm more 'interested' at this point than stressing ... one of the concepts being bandied about here in this thread (and which I agree with) is that foods should be 'natural'. So how can they take what is basically a fish product (highly subject to spoilage), and make it last at room temperature for ... (holy crap, label says Feb 2013!). "state of the art molecular distillation process removes ...". OK here's the bit that originally got my attention ..."store at room temperature. Avoid excessive heat" . I'll just slap em in the fridge when I go away and move on ...
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth looking at the rates of heart disease in the French. The French, who by the way eat tons of fatty meats, liver, cream, butter, etc, have a ridiculously low rate of heart disease or high cholesterol / blood pressure. They eat smaller portions and eat slowly. They don't allow themselves to become so hungry they need to gorge. The lack of stress in this style of eating is less likely to trigger dangerous blood sugar situations and insulin resistance which is where the real danger lies.
I think I've read that about the French too. Not only do they eat the richest food on earth, (and smoke like chimnies), they eat their main meal at 10pm! EVERYONE here (in the US, speaking of good food habits) says, don't eat your main meal at the end of the day, and don't eat late. Now, I happen to be a 'late person' in general - get up late, eat late, sleep late - so I'm perfectly in synch with the Frogs on that one, but it's so much in conflict with the 'guidance' given here.

Regarding 'bread' ... does the same 'avoid bread' sentiment apply to (eg) Pita bread? I happened to eat out tonight at a Mediterranean place ("Pita Jungle", awesome place) - grilled Mahi Mahi, Hummus, pita bread, and a Greek salad ($15 plus tip - deal!). I am finding myself liking Pita bread more and more, especially with hummus! I recall religious nonsense regarding 'unleavened' (?) bread ... is there something fundamentally different about these 'flat' breads?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:27 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
what's a green smoothie ?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

@CAdreaming... so sorry for not explaining properly. A green smoothie is a combination of raw green vegetable (spinach, kale etc) mixed with fruit to make a "green" smoothie.
Leafy greens are loaded with vitamins and nutrients so its makes for a healthy drink.

So many different combos. Example: 4 cups of organic spinach, 2 cups organic fresh or frozen mango, bananas (2) organic coconut water and blend. Some people use kale, kiwi, mangoes and strawberries and unsweetened almond milk or a combo that includes avocado etc. I find it to be quite delicious.
thank you.im going to try one!!!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
Noooooo!!!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:25 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think I've read that about the French too. Not only do they eat the richest food on earth, (and smoke like chimnies), they eat their main meal at 10pm! EVERYONE here (in the US, speaking of good food habits) says, don't eat your main meal at the end of the day, and don't eat late. Now, I happen to be a 'late person' in general - get up late, eat late, sleep late - so I'm perfectly in synch with the Frogs on that one, but it's so much in conflict with the 'guidance' given here.

Regarding 'bread' ... does the same 'avoid bread' sentiment apply to (eg) Pita bread? I happened to eat out tonight at a Mediterranean place ("Pita Jungle", awesome place) - grilled Mahi Mahi, Hummus, pita bread, and a Greek salad ($15 plus tip - deal!). I am finding myself liking Pita bread more and more, especially with hummus! I recall religious nonsense regarding 'unleavened' (?) bread ... is there something fundamentally different about these 'flat' breads?

Pita is actually not unleavened. Yeast is used and pita does rise - which is how you get the pocket. I think if the pita is fresh, made with whole wheat flour and no sugar, it's probably a better choice than most white breads. In the case of somebody who is trying to break the bread habit - pita is still bread and should be avoided.

EDIT TO ADD: No, I don't think unleavened/flat bread is nutritionally worth hyperglycemia any more than other breads. It's not the yeast that's the problem, it's the flour.

Last edited by Leslie; Jun 27th 2011 at 12:16 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

I think you may have the answer but may not really know it. It may somewhat be related what you are eating but more likely the answer is how you are eating. When you're on holiday do you eat with less stress and pressure? Are you more leisurely in your approach to meals?

It's worth looking at the rates of heart disease in the French. The French, who by the way eat tons of fatty meats, liver, cream, butter, etc, have a ridiculously low rate of heart disease or high cholesterol / blood pressure. They eat smaller portions and eat slowly. They don't allow themselves to become so hungry they need to gorge. The lack of stress in this style of eating is less likely to trigger dangerous blood sugar situations and insulin resistance which is where the real danger lies.
I can't say I(we) eat with less stress and pressure - for instance, when all this testing happened, we were visiting relatives and attending a wedding and I had to dress up - definitely NOT a stressless situation for me. I really like and enjoy my in-laws and they seem to like me, but being a "Yank" among Brits on their turf puts me at a definite disadvantage wit-wise, hence stress and tension.

All that aside, I'm more than convinced that the quality of food in the UK is superior to the US in that there are fewer preservatives and chemicals, certainly less sugar! I'd give a lot to be able to convince US food producers to quit using HFCS, preservatives, food coloring, etc. I know I can buy organic products at Whole Foods, but prices in the Memphis area seem exhorbitant.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:23 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I can't say I(we) eat with less stress and pressure - for instance, when all this testing happened, we were visiting relatives and attending a wedding and I had to dress up - definitely NOT a stressless situation for me. I really like and enjoy my in-laws and they seem to like me, but being a "Yank" among Brits on their turf puts me at a definite disadvantage wit-wise, hence stress and tension.

All that aside, I'm more than convinced that the quality of food in the UK is superior to the US in that there are fewer preservatives and chemicals, certainly less sugar! I'd give a lot to be able to convince US food producers to quit using HFCS, preservatives, food coloring, etc. I know I can buy organic products at Whole Foods, but prices in the Memphis area seem exhorbitant.
Do you think the better quality food in the UK is less expensive than the better quality food in the US, for example what you can find at Whole Foods?

FWIW, I don't think you have to eat all organic in order to eat healthy and it doesn't have to expensive either. I won't lecture you too much though.

It sounds like you are probably making better choices when in the UK and that probably is due to culture and availability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.