Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Old Jun 14th 2019, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Originally Posted by Pulaski

​​​​​And to Texanscot, there have been several people who posted here on BE, who were "staying on a work visa" but then got made redundant, or were about to be returned to the UK, and so were forced into the decision to switch to a spouse visa at short notice, and sometimes to get married to make that possible .... so at that point they have made the likelihood of people thinking "they married for the visa" much more likely, because in truth they really did, albeit with (presumably) a sincere underlying relationship.
That's fair, of course.

I do think that there's a difference (and most people would probably appreciate the difference) between exigent circumstances accelerating something that was probably already on the cards, and marrying someone purely for an immigration benefit.

The former is understandable, but doesn't free you from the little digs and comments that people will make forever after, as true as they may be in a sense
Old Jun 14th 2019, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That’ll will probably work surprisingly often
I hear putting your national origin and accent on your Tinder profile is a winning strategy, but I couldn't possibly comment...
Old Jun 14th 2019, 3:39 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any work related conferences you can attend in the USA? That's how I met my wife.

We also had many common interests which helped though.

Be aware that there may be American ladies out there who might see you as a means to get British citizenship.

Whilst my wife would like to obtain British citizenship, she currently doesn't want to leave a warm and sunny Florida (she spent too many cold winters in New York).
Old Jun 14th 2019, 3:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Because frankly, the little comments and and oh-so-clever digs are tiring, and it gets draining having to explain the intricacies of the immigration system over and over again.

Even now it's pretty dull whenever I try and explain the difference between a Green Card and Citizenship, or all the hoops my employer has to jump through to obtain PERM and sponsor me. It must be about 7 out of 10 times that the person asking the questions will say "Oh will you guys should just get married! That would be so much easier!". ....
I can't help but think that this anecdote precisely disproves your point, and that people are far more likely to wonder why you didn't obtain a spouse visa than why you did.

IMO so long as you appear to have a sincere relationship with your spouse, which is broadly in line with societal norms* (yeah, I know that isn't very PC in 2019, but it's still the case in the real world, and IMO likely to remain so), and that you are from the UK, or any western/ industrialized country, the question of possible visa fraud is unlikely to ever rear its head. But as Tom hinted, unless someone is a USCIS officer acting in an official capacity, I don't give two hoots what anyone else thinks!

A friend (white, Christian, life-long resident of rural Virginia) of my mother-in-law married an Indian and sponsored a spouse visa for him, and just over three years later he apparently went directly from the citizenship oath ceremony to a divorce lawyer's office, and sponsored a fiance visa for an Indian woman a few months later.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2019 at 4:13 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A friend (white, Christian, life-long resident of rural Virginia) of my mother-in-law married an Indian and sponsored a spouse visa for him, and just over three years later he apparently went directly from the citizenship oath ceremony to a divorce lawyer's office, and sponsored a fiance visa for an Indian woman a few months later.
This happens a lot. There's a whole subset of Albanian men who claimed to be Kosovan in the late 1990s in order to claim asylum in the UK, married the first British woman they could, acquired citizenship three years later and promptly divorced their wives in order to marry their actual partners back in Albania and bring them over to the UK. Half the time said Albanian partner was heavily pregnant by the time the divorce went through safe in the knowledge that the child would be entitled to a British passport by descent.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

IMO so long as you appear to have a sincere relationship with your spouse, which is broadly in line with societal norms* (yeah, I know that isn't very PC in 2019, but it's still the case in the real world, and IMO likely to remain so), and that you are from the UK, or any western/ industrialized country, the question of possible visa fraud is unlikely to ever rear its head.
The fact that it's not PC doesn't make it any less true - this is Texas after all, and I'm very aware that I'm largely playing on easy mode when it comes to immigration.

After all when politicians, news commentators and members of the public talk about "immigrants" they aren't talking about me, and I'm painfully aware of that fact...
Old Jun 15th 2019, 1:46 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that it's not PC doesn't make it any less true - this is Texas after all, and I'm very aware that I'm largely playing on easy mode when it comes to immigration.

After all when politicians, news commentators and members of the public talk about "immigrants" they aren't talking about me, and I'm painfully aware of that fact...
you are not an immigrant, you are an expat. Like me, Different thing altogether.😁
Old Jun 15th 2019, 1:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
you are not an immigrant, you are an expat. Like me, Different thing altogether.� ����
My old mum said I can’t be an immigrant because I am British.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 3:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My old mum said I can’t be an immigrant because I am British.
Someone should write a book of all the mum sayings we put on BE. They're priceless, and funny, and sooo wrong
Old Jun 15th 2019, 3:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Someone should write a book of all the mum sayings we put on BE. They're priceless, and funny, and sooo wrong
One of my favourite ‘mum sayings’ was back in the early 70s, Mum asked me if Elton John could do anything else but sing. I said yes, thinking he wrote music. ‘Good’ she said ‘because he will never make a living out of singing’.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 3:35 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
One of my favourite ‘mum sayings’ was back in the early 70s, Mum asked me if Elton John could do anything else but sing. I said yes, thinking he wrote music. ‘Good’ she said ‘because he will never make a living out of singing’.
Love it.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Because frankly, the little comments and and oh-so-clever digs are tiring, and it gets draining having to explain the intricacies of the immigration system over and over again.

Even now it's pretty dull whenever I try and explain the difference between a Green Card and Citizenship, or all the hoops my employer has to jump through to obtain PERM and sponsor me. It must be about 7 out of 10 times that the person asking the questions will say "Oh will you guys should just get married! That would be so much easier!".

Honestly we're not even at that point yet in our relationship and I just want to be able to say to anyone who ever questions it in the future "Well actually no, I got my Green Card through my employer".

I don't know your circumstances or if you've ever been in a similar situation, but take it from me that it gets pretty old, pretty fast.
Then all of this is a moot point. If your relationship isn't at marriage level then that's it.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tom169
Then all of this is a moot point. If your relationship isn't at marriage level then that's it.
Not really.

We might not be at the point of walking down the aisle, but it's certainly one of those relationships where we both know that it's likely on the cards.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really.

We might not be at the point of walking down the aisle, but it's certainly one of those relationships where we both know that it's likely on the cards.
It's all hypotheticals until you get on the knee and she says yes.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 7:12 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I remember back in 2003 an American girlfriend. We met in London. She was over on business. She got me a trip to Florida on BA points. I found I liked Tampa bay. I explored visa options. I proposed NYE. Applied for K1. Moved to FL in June 2004. Married August. Divorced 2009. Citizenship 2013. Still in FL..
if anyone thinks I did It just to be here. I don't care. I am sad it did not work out, but happy i got the chance to be where i am.😀

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.