Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Old Jun 23rd 2019, 5:57 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is there any other answer to that question other than "online"?

FWIW I have read that around a quarter of relationships in the US now start online.
i met my husband online but we were both at Uni in England. (we met in an uni intranet chat room). we have been together about 30 years and married over 20. so online has been a viable option for a while.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 11:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i met my husband online but we were both at Uni in England. (we met in an uni intranet chat room). we have been together about 30 years and married over 20. so online has been a viable option for a while.
Likewise, I met my first longterm partner via a Uni intranet email group, back in 1982. We lasted 12 years together and are still good friends. Several other mates at uni got together in a similar way.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 1:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
IIRC there are three other long-term members of BE in the US who met their spouse on-line while they were on opposite sides of the pond, or not in the US, before I met my wife, which was in 1998.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Gf_121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interestingly a friend here in Omaha had a similar thought to you OP. So he downloaded Tinder, paid for Tinder Plus and just tapped the middle of the US (thus placing him in Nebraska). Started chatting with a girl that lives here... wind the clock forward 2 - 3 years and they are married and both living over here.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I can tell you that I didn't deliberately meet a USC on a breakup forum. It just happened that way.
Same thing happened to me! Wasn't intentional but definitely glad it happened.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 6:41 am
Just Joined

ChronowerX_GT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gf_121
Interestingly a friend here in Omaha had a similar thought to you OP. So he downloaded Tinder, paid for Tinder Plus and just tapped the middle of the US (thus placing him in Nebraska). Started chatting with a girl that lives here... wind the clock forward 2 - 3 years and they are married and both living over here.
I never considered the paid version of Tinder. That's a pretty good idea Right, time to get some good pics of myself haha
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Looking, no? Everyone is entitled to their own preferences. I dated various American women I met via work (and my time here, subsequently) before I met & married my wife. I had a general preference towards American women (regardless of their locale, I even dated a few whilst we were both in Italy) - culturally they were different, yet similar enough (and for the most part, no language barrier), and being from Newcastle originally I found the lack of 2 ton of foundation and fake tan to be an appealing factor...

That said; I wasn't only willing to date American women, nor did I require one for a green card (I had a contractual agreement with my employer, even if I did end up adjusting status via marriage). But if you are young and absolutely hell bent on residing in the US, it's entirely possible you'll end up here, even if it takes you 10 years, so seeking out a romantic involvement that allows you to reside together in the long term and be together faster in the short term doesn't seem too crazy to me, just remember to only ever start a romantic involvement with someone because you want to be that that PERSON, not their country, everything else is moot imo.
You forgot the rather innovative use of eye shadow as well as the fake tan. Walking around Eldon Square is an eye-opener to say the least !
Old Jul 4th 2019, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
IME Americans often seem oblivious to the range of British accents, and somewhat in denial about how diverse British accents are. When I am talking to Americans who comment on my accent, I often compare some accents they might have heard, such as Paul McCartney and Ozzy Osbourne who only come from cities about 100 miles apart, but have totally different accents. And then I might mention how different they are not only from each other but also from standard "BBC English" and from Yorkshire and West Country accents, among many others. Also that you can travel just a few miles and find accents that are dramatically different - such as the local accent in Glawster, which is approaching a West Country drawl, compared to the Bairmingham accent just 30-40 miles to the north.

The apparent lack of discrimination between British accents has been an enduring source of puzzlement to me as my non-RP (muted Sheffield) accent was apparently unattractive (to women) in London, but has the opposite effect on American women.
I had a similar experience; when I went to London (for Uni), I was decidedly ridiculed / discriminated against due to my strong "north western" accent ("eh, bah gum... "and all that). I remember distinctly being unable to make myself understood in shops. Luckily for me, I'm a 'chameleon' when it comes to accents and I very quickly adapted/adopted the local accent without trying. But there was always a 'hint' of a northern accent, and I always had the sense that I was being looked down upon by 'southerners' (and I don't blame them to a large extent, people 'up north' can be ... let's just say annoying!). But when I came to the US, everyone loved my accent without exception (luckily I didn't meet Rete back then ). Having the 'chameleon' characteristic with accents, I quickly lost my UK accent and I really wish I could pull it back because it is very useful to be able to 'turn on the charm'. At least in the places I hang out, a UK accent is 100% golden. People do notice my accent within a few weeks of returning from a UK visit!
Old Jul 13th 2019, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT

Question to the USC's on here. Could you actually tell the difference between a Florida or Georgia accent, or Alabama and Tennessee for example? Like here in the UK, it's very easy to tell who is from Liverpool and who is from Manchester even though we're only 30 miles apart.
No, not at all, and accents usually don't run along state lines but more city or regional. Florida is extremely diverse and there is no "Florida accent . . ."

I can tell if someone is from New York City or Boston or Chicago or (generically) the South, or (specifically) Southeastern Louisiana (Cajun Country/New Orleans), which has an accent that is distinct within the South (but the rest of Louisiana is in line with standard South and is more like Texas/Arkansas/Mississippi). But Indiana vs Ohio, Georgia vs Mississippi, no way.

Give me some time and I might be able to tell the difference between Texas vs Southern. But, dialect is more likely to be giving a lot of these away rather than accent.

The Upper Midwest has a certain pitch to it that I can usually pick up. Hillary Clinton has a very, very strong Chicago accent and you can pick that up immediately, as with Trump and his New York City accent/dialect.

Agree with Pulaski, your average American can usually pick up that someone is British right away, but would have no idea how to pick an accent from the different parts of the UK.

Last edited by carcajou; Jul 13th 2019 at 8:16 am.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Likewise, I met my first longterm partner via a Uni intranet email group, back in 1982. We lasted 12 years together and are still good friends. Several other mates at uni got together in a similar way.
​​​​​​Wow - I graduated from Uni (London) early 80s with an engineering degree (Computer systems) and I don't think the concept of email existed to us back then! No personal computers, of course, to use email on anyway. The department did have an Apple II but I don't think it ran email. Other than that it was a big 'mini computer' the size of a (US) fridge, and a monster back in a room somewhere we never got to see! So ... what can you remember about this 'email group' - how did you access it, what program was it, etc? Maybe your uni was better endowed than mine was (I felt the department was very lacking in technology, to be honest).
Old Jul 27th 2019, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT
Yeah, I know what you're thinking. This topic sounds a bit 'iffy but hear me out

So, me and my friend were talking, I live in the UK btw, and I was saying that I'd love to live in the US one day. I also said it would be great if I could find an American girl who I fell madly in love with, got married and lived happily ever after in the US.

My friend was like, "I can't believe you'd marry someone for a green card!"

I was like, "No, I'd never marry someone for a green card. I'd genuinely want her to be the person that I spend the rest of my life with and start a family. But whilst I'm young, free and single, what's the harm of saying that I'd like to find an American since I'm planning on moving there anyway?"

Just want to know what people's thoughts are on a topic like this. I could obviously cause a lot more complications meeting someone in Britain as, chances are, she wouldn't want to move and someone will end up unhappy.

EDIT: Sorry I think this might be in the wrong section of the forum since it doesn't relate to a visa specifically. Could an admin please move the topic to the appropriate place please if I've posted wrong. Thanks

No its not wrong.
Its when they become your American wife that things go tits up at light speed.

Look, youre obviously going to meet Daisy Duke on the internet, spend hours talking crap and pretending youre really nice, pretend very little irritates you and say the things she thinks shes does that irritate are "cute".
The next thing is youll start believing your own bullshit and more importantly so will she .... and vice versa.

Then youll start the inevitable talk about sex, timidly at first but then the cock and fanny pics will be batted back and forth like a tennis ball at Wimbledon. Soon youll realise youre knocking one out over text which is as ridiculous as wanking over a crossword and will want to progress and then the phone sex starts.Youll find out shes a filthy bitch that loves it up the wrong 'un and be on the phone day and night with blistered palms. Then stupid phone bills drop on the doormat and youll both decide you cant do this anynore, youll have to meet up and play hide the sausage.

So youll get a loan or use all your money to fly across the globe for a shag because youre stupid. Youll land and walk around the baggage carousel and through immigration with a boner like a babys arm. Into the arrivals hall which will be packed full but with no one looking like Daisy Duke. Sooner or later the crowd drift away and there sitting on a plastic chair is some fat ugly old heffa that vaguely resembles the photoshopped pictures youve been wanking over for 6 months. Shes got a perplexed look on her face because youve been photoshopping out your beer guy and ironing out your wrinkles on microsoft too.

Neither of you will say anything about the others dodgy appearance as youll both be thinking "Ahh well .... at least Im gonna get a filthy shag". She'll pretend shes not a thin skinned uber sensitive twat and youll just pretend your not a twat. Back at her 4 bedroom house (that has mysteriously turned into a trailer) youll get a mediocre shag in amongst discarded 3 week old take away cartons and as brave as you thought you were going to be you wont try to slip it up her jacksy.

After 5 days sweating your knackers off as she ferries you around in her unairconditioned 36 year old Ford Tempo she take you back to the airport. She'll bid you farewell and youll both bullshit to each other about your next meeting, knowing full well you have no such intensions. She'll slobber over you at the departure gate as you leave.
Before youve slung your Matalan carry on case in the overhead locker she will be in the food court getting a KFC bargain bucket .... and a diet coke before meeting another schmuck arriving on the 15.45 from Manchester.

Do yourself a favour son, find an old bike on your local council estate to throw it up and gezt this romantic horseshit out of your napper.

Your welcome.

Last edited by The Rushman; Jul 27th 2019 at 12:14 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 12:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Rushman
No its not wrong.
Its when they become your American wife that things go tits up at light speed.

Look, youre obviously going to meet Daisy Duke on the internet, spend hours talking crap and pretending youre really nice, pretend very little irritates you and say the things she thinks shes does that irritate are "cute".
The next thing is youll start believing your own bullshit and more importantly so will she .... and vice versa.

Then youll start the inevitable talk about sex, timidly at first but then the cock and fanny pics will be batted back and forth like a tennis ball at Wimbledon. Soon youll realise youre knocking one out over text which is as ridiculous as wanking over a crossword and will want to progress and then the phone sex starts.Youll find out shes a filthy bitch that loves it up the wrong 'un and be on the phone day and night with blistered palms. Then stupid phone bills drop on the doormat and youll both decide you cant do this anynore, youll have to meet up and play hide the sausage.

So youll get a loan or use all your money to fly across the globe for a shag because youre stupid. Youll land and walk around the baggage carousel and through immigration with a boner like a babys arm. Into the arrivals hall which will be packed full but with no one looking like Daisy Duke. Sooner or later the crowd drift away and there sitting on a plastic chair is some fat ugly old heffa that vaguely resembles the photoshopped pictures youve been wanking over for 6 months. Shes got a perplexed look on her face because youve been photoshopping out your beer guy and ironing out your wrinkles on microsoft too.

Neither of you will say anything about the others dodgy appearance as youll both be thinking "Ahh well .... at least Im gonna get a filthy shag". She'll pretend shes not a thin skinned uber sensitive twat and youll just pretend your not a twat. Back at her 4 bedroom house (that has mysteriously turned into a trailer) youll get a mediocre shag in amongst discarded 3 week old take away cartons and as brave as you thought you were going to be you wont try to slip it up her jacksy.

After 5 days sweating your knackers off as she ferries you around in her unairconditioned 36 year old Ford Tempo she take you back to the airport. She'll bid you farewell and youll both bullshit to each other about your next meeting, knowing full well you have no such intensions. She'll slobber over you at the departure gate as you leave.
Before youve slung your Matalan carry on case in the overhead locker she will be in the food court getting a KFC bargain bucket .... and a diet coke before meeting another schmuck arriving on the 15.45 from Manchester.

Do yourself a favour son, find an old bike on your local council estate to throw it up and gezt this romantic horseshit out of your napper.

Your welcome.
If you'd tried really hard you might have been able to cram one or two more obscenities into that post.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 12:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not often lost for words...
Old Jul 27th 2019, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If you'd tried really hard you might have been able to cram one or two more obscenities into that post.
What can I tell you .... Im lazy and prefer to remain eloquent.

Old Jul 27th 2019, 12:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Right wing nut job alert. Ignore button activate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.