Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Originally Posted by robtuck
- have to repeat Water a lot, .....
It's "wadder", like "ledduce". ... Or you like JerseyGirl, who flatly refused to modify her English?

Those are two of several pronunciation variations I adopted very soon after I arrived; also "tomayto" (I adopted that one immediately), and "gah-rahj".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 18th 2019 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT
Question to the USC's on here. Could you actually tell the difference between a Florida or Georgia accent, or Alabama and Tennessee for example? Like here in the UK, it's very easy to tell who is from Liverpool and who is from Manchester even though we're only 30 miles apart.
Well I'm not a USC but yes, there is a difference and you can tell, but it does take some practice.

I generally split southern accents into "Texas" and "Not Texas" first of all, and I can *usually* split the "Not Texas" bucket down to Louisiana, North Carolina and Tennessee. I'd probably struggle to pick out the other states or even regional differences in most of them, but you can certainly tell the difference once you've had enough exposure.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 8:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
This appears to be a winning strategy for the OP.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's "wadder", like "ledduce". ... Or you like JerseyGirl, who flatly refused to modify her English?

Those are two of several pronunciation variations I adopted very soon after I arrived; also "tomayto" (I adopted that one immediately), and "gah-rahj".
I know when I've gone full Thames Estuary/West Country on someone and can repeat, but my ability to pronounce in local ways tends to come across as a mickey take. Much better at word substitution now, to the point I used Gas Station when talking to a colleague form the UK office with nobody on the call from the USA. A fair chunk of my working life includes audiences across both countries so it is fun, and deciding which English to use when e-mailing creates just as much angst at times. I was a little crest fallen when finding out the Z is the original spelling of words we now use an S for in the UK though.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 12:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I concur.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
gah-rahj
This took me a while to work out. Garridge !
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
..... This took me a while to work out. Garridge !
Yeah, and that is the one that I most often forget to flip back when I cross the pond.
..... my ability to pronounce in local ways tends to come across as a mickey take. .....
In my head, I think the same thing, but at least I am understood, and I am not aware that anyone has ever taken offence at an Englishman using US pronunciations in a vaguely-northern English accent.
.... Much better at word substitution now, to the point I used Gas Station when talking to a colleague form the UK office with nobody on the call from the USA. A fair chunk of my working life includes audiences across both countries so it is fun, and deciding which English to use when e-mailing creates just as much angst at times. ....
Yes, I sometimes wrestle with that issue, though I now have little to do with my employer's UK operations, but usually I try to decide who is the primary target of my email. I think it confused my US colleagues when I used to go on group visits to the UK offices and I flipped 100% to local lingo. It also surprised some people who knew me only by email, to find that I am British, though I still get that in the US too, as we use email a lot more than the phone and so people may have worked with me for months, or even years, and not realized that I am British.
..... I was a little crest fallen when finding out the Z is the original spelling of words we now use an S for in the UK though.
If you consult the Oxford English dictionary it actually recommends/ prefers the use of z over s for most -ise/ -ize words, though I think realise is still preferred with an s. And it isn't unusual for what we knows think of as Americansisms to actually be archaic English usage that the English moved on from but was retained in America, with "gotten" being a prime example.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 19th 2019 at 2:31 am.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 6:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

once they even wrote my name as Rovuk - I mean, if you are guessing, at least go for a real name.
With my Canadian accent (which is always mistaken for Irish) I get Josie or Rosie or my all time favourite, Derophy,
Old Jun 19th 2019, 8:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT
Question to the USC's on here. Could you actually tell the difference between a Florida or Georgia accent, or Alabama and Tennessee for example? Like here in the UK, it's very easy to tell who is from Liverpool and who is from Manchester even though we're only 30 miles apart.
I can usually tell if someone is from Louisiana if they have a certain accent, otherwise the southern accents really don't sound different enough to me to be able to tell if someone is from Tennessee or Georgia or whatever state.

I am in Canada now, I can usually spot someone from Ontario from their accent which is different then the accent here in BC, accent in BC is closer to WA/OR then it is to Ontario. Newfoundland accent is unique so easy to spot, as is Quebec accent. Not sure about Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.

Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

On a return trip to the UK, I attempted to try out my new found ability to tell some America accents apart on a waitress. She played along as I wondered if she was from the Mid West, before finally putting me out of my misery and telling me she was Canadian. Can't even get the right country, let alone region or State! She got a good tip by UK standards and I sucked up the embarrassment.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

On a return trip to the UK, I attempted to try out my new found ability to tell some America accents apart on a waitress. She played along as I wondered if she was from the Mid West, before finally putting me out of my misery and telling me she was Canadian. Can't even get the right country, let alone region or State! She got a good tip by UK standards and I sucked up the embarrassment.
Some upper midwest accents (e.g. Wisconsin) are very similar to Canadian accents. Nearly identical in some cases I'd say.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 6:41 pm

The fact that young Canadians can get a "working holiday visa" for the UK, but Americans cannot, should have been a pretty big clue!
Old Jun 19th 2019, 7:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I can usually tell if someone is from Louisiana if they have a certain accent, otherwise the southern accents really don't sound different enough to me to be able to tell if someone is from Tennessee or Georgia or whatever state.
I am in Canada now, I can usually spot someone from Ontario from their accent which is different then the accent here in BC, accent in BC is closer to WA/OR then it is to Ontario. Newfoundland accent is unique so easy to spot, as is Quebec accent. Not sure about Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.
Good spot. There's actually an exaggerated Ontario accent I call the "phoney Ontario theatre people" accent. The urban Canadian prairie accent is almost flat, and not easily confused with any other English accent, so for some time large corporations moved their call centres here, but eventually the cheap overseas competition took that away. The Nova Scotians I've known speak what I'd call Newfoundland Lite, and the only New Brunswickers I know have French accents.

Old Jun 19th 2019, 11:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 20th 2019, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

ChronowerX_GT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
even lets you filter by state haha.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

So it's really just Britain is weird then. When you consider the vastness of the US and a lot of the states sound the same, or more of a gradual change at least, then the fact 2 miles is all it takes in Britain to have a different accent is pretty strange. I remember a Russian friend saying that you can't tell where a Russian is from since accents don't really change either.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

To do with the history of the language and when it developed. USA may be big, the language has only been isolated for a short while and mass transport and communication came around quickly to spread the "right way" to say things. So variation is smaller. In the UK the language was around for centuries before anyone even knew how to spell the words properly (or in a uniformed way). Add on top that we got invaded a lot and consumed other peoples languages, you get really small pockets of variation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.