Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Old Jun 18th 2019, 4:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really? All of the differing dialects and accents that abound?
I'll not drop by then Rete.
IME Americans often seem oblivious to the range of British accents, and somewhat in denial about how diverse British accents are. When I am talking to Americans who comment on my accent, I often compare some accents they might have heard, such as Paul McCartney and Ozzy Osbourne who only come from cities about 100 miles apart, but have totally different accents. And then I might mention how different they are not only from each other but also from standard "BBC English" and from Yorkshire and West Country accents, among many others. Also that you can travel just a few miles and find accents that are dramatically different - such as the local accent in Glawster, which is approaching a West Country drawl, compared to the Bairmingham accent just 30-40 miles to the north.

The apparent lack of discrimination between British accents has been an enduring source of puzzlement to me as my non-RP (muted Sheffield) accent was apparently unattractive (to women) in London, but has the opposite effect on American women.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 18th 2019 at 4:39 am.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 4:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

And British accents are so varied.

You can drop by here any time Bevs.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 4:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dorothy
And British accents are so varied.

You can drop by here any time Bevs.

Old Jun 18th 2019, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Any USCs out there with money fancy marrying a 72-year-old Scot, slightlu used, with Kidney Disease ? House-trained, witty, teetotal.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 6:27 am
Just Joined

ChronowerX_GT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
I hear a British accent and I run. Never have really cared for the odd way Brits pronounce words.

Correctly?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
IME Americans often seem oblivious to the range of British accents, and somewhat in denial about how diverse British accents are. When I am talking to Americans who comment on my accent, I often compare some accents they might have heard, such as Paul McCartney and Ozzy Osbourne who only come from cities about 100 miles apart, but have totally different accents. And then I might mention how different they are not only from each other but also from standard "BBC English" and from Yorkshire and West Country accents, among many others. Also that you can travel just a few miles and find accents that are dramatically different - such as the local accent in Glawster, which is approaching a West Country drawl, compared to the Bairmingham accent just 30-40 miles to the north.

The apparent lack of discrimination between British accents has been an enduring source of puzzlement to me as my non-RP (muted Sheffield) accent was apparently unattractive (to women) in London, but has the opposite effect on American women.
Well in relation to the original topic. Maybe my Liverpool accent might actually work in the states haha. "Yes, I grew up just a couple of miles away from The Beatles love "

I get that where I am on the outskirts of Liverpool. Literally 2 miles and and into St Helens and the scouse accent has gone and a new one has popped up which is crazy really when you think how small the UK is.

Question to the USC's on here. Could you actually tell the difference between a Florida or Georgia accent, or Alabama and Tennessee for example? Like here in the UK, it's very easy to tell who is from Liverpool and who is from Manchester even though we're only 30 miles apart.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT
Correctly?

Well in relation to the original topic. Maybe my Liverpool accent might actually work in the states haha. "Yes, I grew up just a couple of miles away from The Beatles love "

I get that where I am on the outskirts of Liverpool. Literally 2 miles and and into St Helens and the scouse accent has gone and a new one has popped up which is crazy really when you think how small the UK is.
Oh, a scouser! Whereabouts in Liverpool are you from? My husband's a Bootle lad. Between his scouse accent and my aussie one, no one can understand a word we say
Old Jun 18th 2019, 10:52 am
Just Joined

ChronowerX_GT is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from Huyton/Prescot, so not far away. I take it your husband moved down under with you? Even scousers can't understand what I say haha.

On the original topic, would people just tend to go on general American dating websites or are there specific ones for people looking for Brits?

Last edited by ChronowerX_GT; Jun 18th 2019 at 10:55 am.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 10:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Huyton/Prescot, so not far away. I take it your husband moved down under with you?
No, my husband had been in Oz for 25 years before I met him.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I think American regional accents are getting less distinct. In the Southeast where I have lived much of my life the younger people don’t have the traditional southern accent as pronounced as much older people.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 12:02 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Huyton/Prescot, so not far away. I take it your husband moved down under with you? Even scousers can't understand what I say haha.

On the original topic, would people just tend to go on general American dating websites or are there specific ones for people looking for Brits?
https://www.datebritishguys.com/

Old Jun 18th 2019, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Maybe my Liverpool accent might actually work in the states haha. "Yes, I grew up just a couple of miles away from The Beatles love .....
My first home was about half a mile from Rick Allen's (the drummer for Def Leppard) parents' home. .... But my parents moved before my second birthday.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 1:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, forgot my button.

Actually, some British accents are way to hard for me to understand. Jim and I made several good friends from BE that we met up with who we have shared dinner with at each other's homes, etc. One has such an accent, like swallowing half the word, that this hearing impaired lady was continually looking to hubby to repeat what this person said. Have that same problem with a someone speaking with a deep southern accent. As the member from TN said, it is less pronounced in the younger generation but still a distinct speech pattern by Afro-Americans.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 18th 2019 at 1:38 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I hear a British accent and I run....
Me too. I came thousands of miles to get away from them.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by tom169
Me too. I came thousands of miles to get away from them.
A girl with a Southern accent, though!
Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

There is a distinct switch on the Georgia/Alabama border - I hear it at work. Where I live is much softer, typical Georgia I guess. I can't really tell the difference outside of that. I can pick-up New York/New Jersey (and know the two are different enough that the locals will spit on me if I choose the wrong one). The Boston area is distinct, but then everything until you get to Hawaii seems very similar to me until someone points out the variation. I think it's the same in reverse, hence why people here struggle sometimes with Australian vs British accents. I think they can hear a Scot and Irish, but that is about it. Because I drop T's there are plenty of times that people look at me as if I was haven't spoken in a completely different language - have to repeat Water a lot, and when Burger King take your name they can never hear me say Robert, once they even wrote my name as Rovuk - I mean, if you are guessing, at least go for a real name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.