Old Jun 16th 2019, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

ChronowerX_GT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is It Wrong To Want To 'Look' For An American Girlfriend

Originally Posted by civilservant
I guess there's this:

1) Pick place at random on map of US
2) buy plane ticket
3) show up at local bar and talk as much as possible so they can hear your accent
4) hope someone of your gender of choice takes an interest

I've heard that the British accent can help I'll remember to speak LOUDLY when USC's are around.

Originally Posted by RICH
I remember back in 2003 an American girlfriend. We met in London. She was over on business. She got me a trip to Florida on BA points. I found I liked Tampa bay. I explored visa options. I proposed NYE. Applied for K1. Moved to FL in June 2004. Married August. Divorced 2009. Citizenship 2013. Still in FL..
if anyone thinks I did It just to be here. I don't care. I am sad it did not work out, but happy i got the chance to be where i am.😀
It happens and it doesn't mean your relationship wasn't sincere.

As for the VISA 'stigma'. I suppose coming from the UK wouldn't have the same suspicions surrounding it compared to, say, coming from a poverty stricken, war torn country. I guess we'd be coming to the US from a privileged position since we can realistically achieve a high standard of living in the UK.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

On the "immigrant" thing, I've yet to met anyone here in West GA and East AL who considers me one! They are all bamboozled by how tricky the process is, I often joe about popping to Cancun for a holiday and walking back to ensure life long residency. I'm one of the good ones it seems though.

On the original point, I see no lines being crossed, nobody is being used in the scenario outlined - the clear goal is to meet and marry an American, with a secondary bonus of residency which is being sought by other means anyway. Just like I could never have a relationship with an Aussie, aside from being happily married, due to the accent. It just grates on me, nothing against Australians. South African accent, now we are talking.......
Old Jun 17th 2019, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Robtuck, I love the Aussie accent haha. But I also love the American accent too.

So I take it you're around the Atlanta area and you came over from the UK then? How do you find Georgia since it's currently number 1 on my list in terms of residency?
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:59 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly do you want to know about GA? It's a big place, and there are several of us here
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT
Robtuck, I love the Aussie accent haha.
We took the accent of our former overlords and made it our own
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
What exactly do you want to know about GA? It's a big place, and there are several of us here
Well I suppose the biggest problem is knowing where to move since the US is so big compared to the UK. Typically with GA:
-do you find it too hot in summer?
-how do the locals react to Brits?
-What's worse, the alligators or mosquitoes?

Seems like good weather, good housing, scenery, country music, peaches and fried chicken. All stuff I like :P

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We took the accent of our former overlords and made it our own
Cockney mixed with Fosters ?
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We took the accent of our former overlords .....
When is the next Australian presidential election.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:59 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Well I suppose the biggest problem is knowing where to move since the US is so big compared to the UK. Typically with GA:
-do you find it too hot in summer?
-how do the locals react to Brits?

Seems like good weather, good housing, scenery, country music, peaches and fried chicken. All stuff I like :P
It's not the heat in the summer so much as the humidity. It's steamy, even if it's only a 90 degree day. It doesn't stop either, from April-October. Actually last year it was still 80+ every day until pretty much the end of November. Most people go from their AC homes to their AC cars to their AC workplaces and back again.

Locals are fine on the whole, but it you live in the sticks don't expect them to have ever met a foreigner before. Most people I find assume that I grew up here until they're corrected. Those that know me rib me constantly about just becoming a citizen because I don't have a Southern accent.

I haven't seen an alligator in 6 years here, but the mosquito are the size of small European cars and will cause an itch like nothing you have felt before when they bite you.

Where you live of course matters the most, I am about 80 minutes NE of Atlanta and it's as country as you can get. Ranch style homes, dirt roads that can be impassible when it rains for 24 hours, country bumpkin law enforcement. The closer you get to Atlanta, the less rural it gets quickly. I avoid ATL like the plague, the people can't drive, there are too many shootings (at least if you listen to channel 2 action news) and I prefer the more sedate pace in this part of GA
Old Jun 17th 2019, 12:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cockney mixed with Fosters ?
Something like that Let's face it, you can't say 'bloody bewdy maaate!' with a plum in your mouth.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

You can generally shoot alligators and have a good degree of success, assuming you have the right hardware.

Mosquitoes on the other hand...
Old Jun 17th 2019, 2:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have been bitten hundreds of times by mozzies...never by a gator.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Robtuck, I love the Aussie accent haha. But I also love the American accent too.

So I take it you're around the Atlanta area and you came over from the UK then? How do you find Georgia since it's currently number 1 on my list in terms of residency?
Generally the Northern areas of Atlanta are where the outsiders moved to, so it's very vibrant, and costs an arm and a leg to live there.

I moved south to Newnan, a small Town but growing, and it's a straight road to Atlanta - can be in Downtown within 40 minutes on a good day. The prices here are much lower than I'd find in the UK for something similar as people have tended not to migrate South of Atlanta during it's expansion in recent years. That is beginning to change though - I have even heard other British accents recently. Outside the big towns or cities it gets very interesting very fast. About 5 miles from house there is a Barbie shrine on the side of the road. There is certainly some overt racism still abounding, but everyone talks like your Nan, very polite and quaint. The British accent is loved, so given the original goal, you'd be off to a winner and given they advertise a Farmers dating website down here on TV, I'd imagine plenty of willing takers for all sorts!

Been here nearly 3 years and loved it - been to Atlanta a few times and not been shot once.

The weather is great, if you love the heat. July & August are very hot and humid, so not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the fact I left my coat in the UK and haven't needed one once. December and January can get a little chilly - twice since I've been here it snowed or went below freezing in the day and the entire area went into Disaster mode. It's basically like Florida but with a cooling off period at winter where you get to wear something other than shorts for a few months. Not seen an Alligator in Georgia yet, been bitten by the Mosquito's, ants and Chiggers! Mowing the lawn is now done in jeans :-) Don't leave food on the worktops, the ants invade. Squished a few Scorpions and get the odd outdoor Cockroach come in for shelter as it gets cooler.

One thing that has amused me, given this area is expanding with new developments, is seeing big hotels built out of sticks. In the nearly three years, I saw my first steel framed development last week!
Old Jun 17th 2019, 6:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that the British accent can help I'll remember to speak LOUDLY when USC's are around.
I hear a British accent and I run. Never have really cared for the odd way Brits pronounce words.

As for the VISA 'stigma'. I suppose coming from the UK wouldn't have the same suspicions surrounding it compared to, say, coming from a poverty stricken, war torn country. I guess we'd be coming to the US from a privileged position since we can realistically achieve a high standard of living in the UK.
VISA is a credit card. Visa is the document you use to enter the US.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 7:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I hear a British accent and I run. Never have really cared for the odd way Brits pronounce words. ....
That would be easier to accept if it wasn't for the fact that you're from Noo Yawk.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 4:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rete
I hear a British accent and I run. Never have really cared for the odd way Brits pronounce words.
Really? All of the differing dialects and accents that abound?
I'll not drop by then Rete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.