Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Wrong Birmingham!

Wikiposts

The Wrong Birmingham!

Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wrong Birmingham!

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I read that in the paper today. Sorry, but I would be so embarrassed about my mistake that I'd never put it in the paper! Obviously I feel sorry for them, but it wasn't the travel company's problem so I can understand them refusing to refund. If the drop-down list says 'Birmingham UK' and then 'Birmingham, Alabama' then it couldn't really be much clearer. I'd have thought the price for the flights would have told them it wasn't Brum UK, it'd be way cheaper to fly internal USA.

We once arranged to meet my sister to go to The Reindeer Centre near Ashford, Kent. She travelled down from Nottingham and I never thought she'd make a mistake because she had been to Ashford with us before to The Rare Breeds Centre. She booked her ticket to Ashford, Surrey and didn't realise until she got there that she'd got it wrong.
A quick search in united.com for fares from BHM (rather than BHX) to LAS shows the last few economy seats on the plane go for close to $1,000 round-trip - so price alone might not have been a warning flag to an inexperienced traveler.

Incidentally, the drop down options on that site make you close between:

BIRMINGHAM, AL, US (BHM)
BIRMINGHAM, GB (BHX)

A moment's distraction or a fat-fingering of the selection could prove costly if one also doesn't read the confirmation properly.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: The Wrong Birmingham!

I agree about the price. Was assuming they booked in plenty of time if this was supposed to be a really special trip.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:49 am
Just Joined

cjgray87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Birmingham airport a few years ago at the car hire desk and a French man beside had the same problem. Someone in his office had made the same mistake!
Old Apr 29th 2016, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

While waiting in Atlanta for our flight to Manchester, they announced on the PA the Manchester flight was overbooked and were offering cash to anyone willing to be bumped to the next flight.
We were on a time-crunch so didn't ask but found out later they were referring to the flight to Manchester NH, 2 gates up.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I see they got a cheap trip to Vegas

Everyone at Virgin Holidays wants to see them enjoy a well-deserved break, so we’re giving them two economy-class flights with Virgin Atlantic, five nights hotel accommodation, and are waiving all applicable fees and charges.’
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

People attempting to travel to San Jose, California (SJC) have been known to select SJO (San Jose, Costa Rica) by mistake. Normally the mistake is discovered in time, but every year or so there are reports of people who actually got on the flight and ended up in the wrong place.

A 3,000-mile error on way to San Jose
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Re: thread title. Is there a 'right' Birmingham? Lol, kidding, my uncle lives in Brum UK.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 9:25 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: The Wrong Birmingham!

We once flew from Newark, Nj to Melbourne.

The Melbourne, Florida not Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

We had a vacation in Florida and it was cheaper to fly to Melbourne (on the "Space coast") instead of Orlando.

I do remember checking very carefully that I was booking the flights to Florida at the time as Continental Airlines did have the drop down option for both cities.
Old May 1st 2016, 5:02 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Many moons ago Mrs tonrob worked as a call centre agent on a hotel reservations line. Apparently these types of mistakes were pretty common.