Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Graxley will become famous soon enoughGraxley will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

[QUOTE=EnglishTeaDuck;5861850]

The thing I find hardest right now is probably how rude the people are. When I first came here, I was constantly saying 'well, I can't judge everyone on one person!' etc.....but after three years, I am so sick of being insulted, laughed at and hearing my own country slagged off by people who have never been there every day. I smile and laugh and join in and do what you have to do, but if I think about staying here the rest of my life, frankly I don't want to bother getting up tomorrow.

I find people in NYC to be the rudest. An Irish American even said to me that because I was British then that made us enemies. I think Americans have had too much money for too long as they behave like spoilt children.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You've missed out one very important factor IMHO...what if you don't have a company healthcare plan and what about the copays and get out clauses?

BTW the UK NHS system isn't free...it's funded by UK taxpayers.
Its paid out of your National Insurance contributions, like I said. Copays etc, yes indeed!!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:17 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'd love a sensible amount of holiday, a town with a high street, and to be surrounded by people with varied accents speaking sense and love.
Sense and love? What utter bunkum. You've been away from England too long. It's not bohemia.

I do know you have a vendetta against the US, which is utterly fine. But keep it in perspective, please!

Personally the 'varied accents' was one of the worst things about England. Open your mouth and immediately somebody's going to judge you because of the way you speak. Aside from in church, I've never met more judgemental people than I did in England.

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Um, y'all aint' a Yankee, y'all's from the South and btw we CAN do our own apologizing in New England.
When I was doing pharma sales, I LOVED dealing with people from the south - especially Georgia. They were so polite and friendly and seemed really genuine.

Originally Posted by Mallory
I had to show the post to my hubby, who is a USC. He laughed. He said, "try going to the UK, and strolling around as a tourist with an American accent!" It aint' pretty.
Too bloody right! Snowbunny's completly blinkered. My wife lived in England for four years with me and GUARANTEED at least twice a day there would be some flucking stupid idiot making fun of her accent, repeating trite stereotypes about American culture (or, ha ha, hilarious, 'lack of it') and then attacking her for Bush (my New York democrat wife... Stupids idiots.)

I've had a couple of dumb jokes (gee, does it always rain over there?,) but 99.5% of the times only ever found Americans to be curious and friendly about where I come from.

Originally Posted by Graxley
I find people in NYC to be the rudest. An Irish American even said to me that because I was British then that made us enemies. I think Americans have had too much money for too long as they behave like spoilt children.
On the surface, NEw Yorkers can be really rude, but I've also found them to be pretty genuine once you get past the tough outer shell (like a orange whirl)

Mind you, I was in NYC yesterday and got bustled here, knocked there and swear I'd have 'capped' half the people in my subway car if I'd had a machine gun.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

An Irish American even said to me that because I was British then that made us enemies.
Because he was Irish or American?

That's half the trouble with the American identity. They still carry their ethnic nationality like a badge. "Oh, I'm German". Really? Then speak some. "Oh, I mean my gt gt gt grandmother was from Germany". Oh, so you're a born in the USA American?

This adds to a weird sense of not knowing what a nationality really is. Add the "World Series" and "Superbowl Champs = World Champs" attitude to the mix and you get a really distorted sense of what is real on a global political scale.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Mind you, I was in NYC yesterday and got bustled here, knocked there and swear I'd have 'capped' half the people in my subway car if I'd had a machine gun.
One of the worst memories of arriving in NYC was travelling on the subway. My OH calls it 'the smelly'.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
Because he was Irish or American?

That's half the trouble with the American identity. They still carry their ethnic nationality like a badge. "Oh, I'm German". Really? Then speak some. "Oh, I mean my gt gt gt grandmother was from Germany". Oh, so you're a born in the USA American?

This adds to a weird sense of not knowing what a nationality really is. Add the "World Series" and "Superbowl Champs = World Champs" attitude to the mix and you get a really distorted sense of what is real on a global political scale.

When I asked him about his nationality it was his grandfather who was Irish!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:35 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Westborough, MA for 18 months a few years ago and we couldn't wait to move..

example: my DD was only 2 at the time and always liked to run ahead of us when entering a shop (she would wait at the door for us to open it), some body was ahead of her, saw her (and us right behind) and just let the door slam in her face (before we could grab the handle)...this scared the crap out of her and she started crying, I had to drag my OH out of the store so he couldn't beat the crap out of them...

My OH would always keep the door open for people (especially if they had kids) and they would just swan right past him without even looking at him...to which he would shout "it doesn't cost anything to use some manners you know"

Our time in Massachusetts made us very cynical indeed....

then we got to Florida and when it took us a long time to get used to the friendliness, every time somebody said "hi how ya doin" we would look round, thinking they were talking to somebody else...
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:36 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

When I asked him about his nationality it was his grandfather who was Irish!
My wife is 'Russian' and 'Italian'... Apparently.

Which is funny, because it says on her birth certificate she was born in Syosset, Long Island.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:36 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You just described Sesame Street.
Or Epcot in Disney World.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:41 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Graxley;5863934]
Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck

The thing I find hardest right now is probably how rude the people are. When I first came here, I was constantly saying 'well, I can't judge everyone on one person!' etc.....but after three years, I am so sick of being insulted, laughed at and hearing my own country slagged off by people who have never been there every day. I smile and laugh and join in and do what you have to do, but if I think about staying here the rest of my life, frankly I don't want to bother getting up tomorrow.

It's just the opposite for my DH. He couldn't get over how genuinely nice people are to him (and me, the USC). But, we live in the Midwest.....I think it's much different than some of the New England states. Are regions are as varied as countries in their accents, food, tranditions, attitudes, etc.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lisag8070
some body was ahead of her, saw her (and us right behind) and just let the door slam in her face (before we could grab the handle)...this scared the crap out of her and she started crying, I had to drag my OH out of the store so he couldn't beat the crap out of them...

My OH would always keep the door open for people (especially if they had kids) and they would just swan right past him without even looking at him...to which he would shout "it doesn't cost anything to use some manners you know"
I set others a very high standard. If I don't see the kind of courtesy offered to me that I would offer to others in the same position I am not very happy to put it mildly. Things like not closing up on the car in front at a red light if there is a parking lot entrance there, so that people can move in and out freely until I am allowed to move again. The little things that we all get brought up with, but from what I hear are becoming scarcer regardless of which country you live in.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:09 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Or Epcot in Disney World.
with a bit of the Magic Kingdom thrown in,
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:13 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
I set others a very high standard. If I don't see the kind of courtesy offered to me that I would offer to others in the same position I am not very happy to put it mildly. Things like not closing up on the car in front at a red light if there is a parking lot entrance there, so that people can move in and out freely until I am allowed to move again. The little things that we all get brought up with, but from what I hear are becoming scarcer regardless of which country you live in.
I will admit, I used my car horn maybe ONCE a week in the UK. It gets used five times a day in New Jersey.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Isn't it part of local driving regulations in NJ/NY to use the horn? Some kind of indicator signal or something?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:22 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
with a bit of the Magic Kingdom thrown in,
I heard that Snowbunny's grandmother was Enid Blyton!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.