Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would this commercial fly in Britain?

Would this commercial fly in Britain?

Old Mar 18th 2019, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would this commercial fly in Britain?

Seems like this commercial might face backlash in Britain or Europe? I guess in the US, forced overtime is a good thing/something to make light of? We're not too big on 'looking out for the worker' in this country.

https://ispot.tv/a/wXkf
Business owner: “I sent this email out and we got double the calls this week. The guys are gonna have to work the weekend”

Employee: “You guys are dead to me. Guess my sci fi convention can wait, right?”
Old Mar 18th 2019, 12:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would this commercial fly in Britain?

Would be acceptable in Canada, its expected more or less by employers that employees will work whenever necessary, company first life 2nd.

My last employer in their advertising to potential customers (airlines were the customer) said something like "our employees live to work, they are willing to work in any weather, any shift, for as long as needed to meet your needs."

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 18th 2019 at 12:48 am.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly it's trying to say something about the value of email marketing. I wouldn't overthink it.
However the script writer could have said something like 'I hope the guys are willing, or open to, to work this weekend...'

When I worked for others in the US I was no more forced to work the weekend than back in the UK.
But sometimes you just had to pull together at certain times. Like tax professionals at this time of the year.

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 18th 2019 at 12:59 am.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 2:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I experienced much more pressure to work "overtime" in the UK than I ever have done in the US, - I used quotes, because once I became salaried it was unpaid/ uncompensated. Sometimes (in the UK), it was just assumed, not even asked, that I would be staying until the manager finished; on one occasion I missed part of a concert I had been looking forwards to whIle working late. Another time I worked seven days a week, more or less, for three straight months, and 11-12 hour days for at least Monday- Thursday each week; I worked all but three days during that three month period.

While I have never experienced anything like that in the US, there is a broader expectation that I will "get the job done", however long that takes.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 18th 2019 at 2:48 am.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

New law in Hungary, effective 2019/01/01 -

This new amendment to the Labour Act raises the possible overtime hours from 250/year to 400/year based on individual agreements with employees, which agreement overrides even the collective agreements made with trade unions. This is called "voluntary overtime", and critics of the new law say that it makes employees vulnerable to the whims of employers, as they are not necessarily in the position to say no to a request of some "voluntary overtime".
Old Mar 18th 2019, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

The lighthearted portrayal of 'owners prosper and workers suffer' just rubbed me the wrong way.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
The lighthearted portrayal of 'owners prosper and workers suffer' just rubbed me the wrong way.
Looked to me like they were all going to be working that weekend. That happens in small companies.