Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Worst US customer service - best buy

Worst US customer service - best buy

Old Oct 17th 2018, 2:21 am
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Worst US customer service - best buy

Ok excuse the rant but gotta complain about best buy for worst ever CS - cant imagine this happening in the UK

Scenario

- Went to store in NJ ordered a TV for delivery in NYC (paid NY tax on it) literally only thing did in store was pay for it
- TV was delivered by UPS (checked the tracking the TV came from Maryland presumably from central warehouse)
- Tried to set up TV was dead on arrival for whatever reason

- Thought with some degree common sense could return to any best buy store as within 15 day return policy and TV not working I wanted an exchange not a refund!!

- So carry TV in box few blocks across to nearest best buy in NYC
- Show receipt and say it isnt working TV dead on arrival
- Told that need to take TV back to original store I paid for it in NJ even though TV never even came from that store just paid for it there
- Crazy thing if I had said I just want to swap TV for another one in NYC without saying it was broken that would have been ok and if I had ordered same damn thing on bestbuy . com they would taken it back also
- whats the point of having a branch network of stores

- So i kick up a stink saying this is crazy the TV was delivered in NYC and now you saying you wont take it back as it broken on delivery

- Luckily one manager had some common sense and agreed to exchange it

- Frankly ridiculous cant imagine a Currys or Argos saying oh you bought in another branch go there to return it despite you never doing anything other than pay for it there

- Sadly US customer service generally is poor right across the service sector from my experience!

Rant over
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:23 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst US customer service - best buy

Costco is brilliant.
Returns are no problem whatsoever.
Bedbathandbeyond second choice.

I refuse to buy from Bestbuy now after my $500 roomba stopped working 1 day after their feeble return date (2 weeks?). I had to go via roomba and it took a month to get it all sorted out.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Different states have different consumer protection laws regarding defective products. Going to bet that that was why the NYC store was reluctant to take back a product bought in NJ. Still stupid, of course, and a decent retailer would have taken it without argument and shipped it back to the store in NJ etc.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 12:56 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Given that a manager exchanged it, an exchange was possible. Likely you were initially dealing with a Best Buy numpty. I would not defend Best Buy's customer service but like too many places I find their staff do not know their job and are scared to do what's right.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 1:27 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

That is far from the worst experience you could have. Going to spare full details, but when my disabled mother misses her flight back to England due to no fault of her own (connection), it is the last flight of the night, she is put in a hotel without her bags - which contain medical equipment and supplies - and literally not told she has a flight the next day. Also, when she finally gets home finds out the wheelchair assistance folk at Philadelphia airport have taken her tablet out of her bag and not put it back. The combo of American Airlines and PHL airport are definitely the worst.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Costco is brilliant.

I refuse to buy from Bestbuy now after my $500 roomba stopped working 1 day after their feeble return date (2 weeks?). I had to go via roomba and it took a month to get it all sorted out.
Seconded on Costco. I bought two big dog beds, removed all the sewn on tags, never thinking that the dogs would absolutely refuse to sleep on them. My OH thought I was nuts to try to return them, but one month later I did so and got a full refund with no questions asked. In the line that day, I watched someone hand over what was obviously a half eaten bag of crisps and get a refund!
Old Oct 17th 2018, 9:23 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Costco is fantastic
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Costco will even refund the membership fee.

Although at least in Canada they have some exceptions with shorter return times, mostly electronics.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 3:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Costco is the best on refunds. Unfortunately, they are not in every state.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 4:09 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine the people at Best Buy didn't want the hassle of dealing with UPS, they'll beat the absolute shit out of a TV and then say it's the packaging's fault.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 1:31 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

".... I wanted an exchange not a refund!!..."
- do the refund and purchase another on the spot. ??!!. 1st world problems!
Old Oct 21st 2018, 6:55 am
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
".... I wanted an exchange not a refund!!..."
- do the refund and purchase another on the spot. ??!!. 1st world problems!

not so easy as apparently if u buy it in one best buy store just buy it i add but deliver it to another area so in essence the product never even has been to that store then you have to take it back to the store you paid for it at to get a refund even though this is a chain store!

However if u buy it online at bestbuy . com then you can get item refunded anywhere! just mind boggling how they get away with this and am sure this is illegal in the UK as I never seen any chain store there doing this
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoc
not so easy as apparently if u buy it in one best buy store just buy it i add but deliver it to another area so in essence the product never even has been to that store then you have to take it back to the store you paid for it at to get a refund even though this is a chain store!

However if u buy it online at bestbuy . com then you can get item refunded anywhere! just mind boggling how they get away with this and am sure this is illegal in the UK as I never seen any chain store there doing this
That's because, although the thing wasn't purchased at that store, the return is counted AGAINST that store. Stupid accountancy practice, but apparently standard - so if you take an online purchase in for return, it goes against the store you take it back to. I was told this by a guy who was an administrator closing down our local Sears.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Costco is brilliant.

Ouch!! It would have been guaranteed for 2 years if it had been bought from Costco.

I always look at Costco first. Their returns policy is second to none IMO.

A few years ago hubby had a lap top with 1 yr manufacturer’s guarantee, plus 1 yr from Costco and a further year with AMEX Costco card. Days before the 3 years guarantee ran out it died. Costco refunded the full purchase price.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

How do CostCo make any profit with such generous policies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.