Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

Originally Posted by notshipman
A co worker told me during the 90's the US channels/networks just took the BBC feed for the commentary when ?there was less interest in the tournament. Guess what we have now is classed as progress
I suppose so

I can put up with the US commentary for the most part. During the last World Cup, one of the English guys they had on, can't remember the name, was making funny jokes about all the diving. "He went down like he's just been shot", I seem to remember hearing.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:04 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I suppose so

I can put up with the US commentary for the most part. During the last World Cup, one of the English guys they had on, can't remember the name, was making funny jokes about all the diving. "He went down like he's just been shot", I seem to remember hearing.
One of the things I will miss is the English analysis of the game. i.e., Lineker and co in the studio assessing the game. They really are top class. Even with NBC I switch off once they're back in the studio and onto 5Live, as Robbie Earle and the American just don't do it for me.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
One of the things I will miss is the English analysis of the game. i.e., Lineker and co in the studio assessing the game. They really are top class. Even with NBC I switch off once they're back in the studio and onto 5Live, as Robbie Earle and the American just don't do it for me.
Yeah, that's true. I do often miss Match of the Day on a Saturday evening if I'm sitting around the house looking for something on TV as well.

I accept the fact that I can now watch full Premiership matches on TV and at a handy time too as something of a tradeoff. I didn't have SKY or cable at home, so I could only ever watch highlights unless I was down the pub.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It's something about the American style where they talk to the camera rather than discuss it in the studio like guys in the pub.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone going to the Boston Brit meet-up for this? I got an invite although I can't decide whether to go.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:15 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karrie72
Anyone going to the Boston Brit meet-up for this? I got an invite although I can't decide whether to go.
Just driving into Boston puts me in a right foul mood, so I'll probably be passing..
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

10, 1 and 4 here, which is better than it has been.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm heading here for the Italy game, The Britannia Arms of Monterey Pub & Restaurant - Monterey, California. Taking my 2 brothers in law down for their first experience of a World Cup in a pub with a tonne of Brits watching footie on a big screen. Can't wait! I see this as being a boring 0-0 encounter which will do me just fine. The conditions are gonna be oppressive and the pitch looks like the Brazilians have been using it to grow spuds! Still, 2 draws and a decent win should see us through. I'm feeling more confident about us getting out of the group by the day!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:57 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

Italy and Uruguay are more than handy and as most pundits point out this England squad isnt very good! Read a decent thing on the beeb that said how refreshing the lack of hype regarding England chances in this tournament.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Just driving into Boston puts me in a right foul mood, so I'll probably be passing..
Can't you get the T?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:30 pm
Banned

Can't you get the T?
That's the usual way I find myself in Boston, yep. I just can't stand driving in. We're away this Saturday, though returning early to watch the game at 1800. Would have been interesting to meet other Brits in Boston though
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not, but there are loads going to the Greatest. For the burbs, a bunch usually go to one of the BBC pubs.

Though the new pub, Hopbrew? They got a 100" tele in for the world cup...
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm not, but there are loads going to the Greatest. For the burbs, a bunch usually go to one of the BBC pubs.

Though the new pub, Hopbrew? They got a 100" tele in for the world cup...
Sorry for sounding ignorant but whats a BBC pub?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for sounding ignorant but whats a BBC pub?
British Beer Company

One in Westford and Framingham are pretty decent, don't know about the others.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Shamelessly stolen from the internet:

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today.

‘It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope,"’
Spoiler:
said Jose, age 6.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.