Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

Old Jun 8th 2014, 3:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

Originally Posted by markonline1
... I did hear though the fastest growing sport in the US is rugby. Dunno how true that is. Not very I doubt as I can't seem to find coverage of the England tour in NZ anywhere
It's pretty big in the N.E area...but really at the college level that it's taking off the most.

Getting popular at school level too, mostly because it's a bucket load cheaper to take part in that American football.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

There are plenty of people excited about the World Cup in Grand Rapids, Michigan; and in many other cities I would imagine.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-ra...lounge_pr.html

There's a few expats of Brazil, Bosnia, a couple of the African countries and plenty of Hispanics supporting Mexico, Honduras, etc... but also a solid demographic supporting the US, and some pulling from their Dutch heritage a few generations back.

Can't wait for Thursday. Will be watching most of the games at home but have marked off a few to view at our footy-mad pub. They had around 150 in for the US' last friendly.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

nfl.com had a thing comparing country's world cup football teams to NFL football teams. Some were quite apt, England = Dallas Cowboys

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap20...am-comparisons

It never fails. Each offseason, expectations for the Cowboys get overinflated. Then come December, it turns out those forecasts were full of hot air. Such is also life for the nation that says it invented the sport of football, England. Many assume "The Three Lions" are entitled to be a World Cup favorite due to England's history in the sport and its domestic league. Yet, heartbreak typically awaits, just as with the Cowboys. Catchy marketing monikers ("America's Team") and top-flight domestic leagues (the EPL) haven't earned these two teams any glory in their respective sports' grandest stages in a very long time.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 10:21 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
There are plenty of people excited about the World Cup in Grand Rapids, Michigan; and in many other cities I would imagine.

http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-m...54b51e72d6.JPG

There's a few expats of Brazil, Bosnia, a couple of the African countries and plenty of Hispanics supporting Mexico, Honduras, etc... but also a solid demographic supporting the US, and some pulling from their Dutch heritage a few generations back.

Can't wait for Thursday. Will be watching most of the games at home but have marked off a few to view at our footy-mad pub. They had around 150 in for the US' last friendly.
I got to say that those "Land of the Free" scarves, make me want to punch somebody.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 11:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I got to say that those "Land of the Free" scarves, make me want to punch somebody.
Me too.... as Will MacAvoy says in The Newsroom:

''With a straight face, you’re gonna tell students that America is so star-spangled awesome that we’re the only ones in the world who have freedom? Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia…Belgium has freedom! So…207 sovereign states in the world…like 180 of ‘em have freedom.”
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

I really really must get down there sometime soon for a game
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:32 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

The Americans are in the group of death and haven't been convincing in the run up. They're finished.

Also, I agree that perhaps 70% of Americans are only dimly aware that the World Cup exists and certainly couldn't care less about the outcome. Of the remaining 30%, perhaps 10% care. These people wear ridiculous scarfs in hot weather, adopt UKisms like "kit" and "pitch", tend to pick obscure League Two teams to obsess about (go Accrington Stanley!) even though they grew up in Iowa and are generally really annoying.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

John Oliver explains the World Cup to Americans

John Oliver Explains The World Cup And FIFA To Americans (VIDEO)
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:43 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Just over a week to go. I was determined not to be bothered by it this time, but then I got sucked into arguments about Jurgen Klinsmann and I'm interested again.

So, anyone else excited? Plan into watch the England matches? And/or the USA matches? Anyone know any Americans who've actually heard of the World Cup...?
I shall be watching as many games as possible. End of.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Grand Rapids' SpeakEZ Lounge prepares for World Cup fever | MLive.com

Quite a few excited about it round our way, too. I play in a recreational football 'league' and everyone was talking about it at our last game on Friday. One bloke who works with my wife is massively into football and he's apparently going mental about it.

I'll be in the UK for a big chunk of it as well, but I am looking forward to the US v Germany game on my birthday, the day before we leave.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think "The Greatest Bar", is the big meeting pot in Boston
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:23 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

How are ESPN for coverage generally? Or is it best to fire up the VPN and stick to the BBC/ITV offerings.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:39 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notshipman
How are ESPN for coverage generally? Or is it best to fire up the VPN and stick to the BBC/ITV offerings.
American commentary is generally total crud. Wherever possible I shall be watching on ITV / BBC.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
American commentary is generally total crud.
Usually a pensioned-off Scotsman or that terrible Butch bloke.

edit: I meant Rocky, the emotional Geordie one.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jun 10th 2014 at 11:36 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just realized all the kick off times are a bit pants. Mostly 8:30am, 11:30am and 2:30am here in AZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.