Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Working illegally in New York

Working illegally in New York

Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working illegally in New York

Originally Posted by frrussre
England, was originally included in the lottery.
Reg. Frank R.
I seem to remember the original lottery 1990(ish) was somewhat chaotic, applications were by mail & people sent in hundreds even thousands of duplicate apps. I don't think there was any rule on multiple applications. People lined up at Post Offices to drop them off. Scam artists sold applications to people, other scammers charged to help fill them in.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exexpat
Citizens of the UK don't qualify for the diversity lottery unless they're from Northern Ireland.
You're really not having a good day, are you?

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Citizens of the UK don't qualify for the diversity lottery unless they're from Northern Ireland. Are you from there?
I'm a UK citizen, I qualify, and I've never been to NI.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I guess "they" really are bringing down education. Apparently, you don't know the difference between "are" and "our". No charge!
You are that much of a prick you just had to point this out.
Boy do you have too much time on your hands.
No charge!

Of course you had a choice. You could have stayed where you were... but no... you thought you'd do to us what they did to you!

Ian
We did not hide on a boat/plane to enter the U.S. I entered as i was offered work and hope of a visa.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to all

Citizens of the UK don't qualify for the diversity lottery unless they're from Northern Ireland. Are you from there?
My wife was born in Germany.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well, apparently you are very impressed with your skills. Apparently our government is not, since they won't give you a visa based upon them. Sounds unskilled by the standards to me.
Yes i am. I have worked hard to get where i am and over come many difficulties. The fact the U.S gov does not issues visa to my trade is not my fault really is it? It is not that they view me as unskilled i the sense that i have no skills.
Dumb... well I dunno. I guess I wouldn't consult you if I was picking a lawyer.
Maybe i am dumb then i do not get that. I am not a lawyer?
You are "better" than the workers in the UK without a visa? Don't make me laugh - you did the exact same thing here in the US. You had no choice? Don't REALLY make me laugh - you always have a choice - simply don't do it. Oh wait, you couldn't get what you wanted that way.
Last time for those in the cheap seats. I was offered work. I did not sneak in.
I did not claim benefit money or ask the U.S gov for help. Like so many do here in the UK.
I found out i could not get a visa, we left.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sweetestthing21
Hi all,

I just wondered if any one could give me some advice on the consequences of working illegally in the US?

I have a friend who is going over to New York in January and she fully intends to stay out there and find a job in an Irish bar... I've tried to make her see that it's not the brightest idea she's ever had but her heart is set on it and she won't listen to reason... The thing is I'm worried sick about her - for one how will she find somewhere decent to live when she has no rental history or references over there? And how will she find a job without a social security number? The thing I'm most worried about though, is what will happen to her in a year or two when she tries to leave the country & fly back home to the UK? Will she be deported and never allowed to return, or is there a certain amount of time that she'll be banned from entering the US again for?

My friend is also under the impression that if she finds an employer who will sponsor her then she may be able to claim permanent resident status and work legally, however, surely she would have to be able to offer some skill other than being able to cook Irish food in an Irish pub or cafe??

I'd appreciate any help or advice that anyone can offer, whether it's a horror story that I can tell her to convince her to just go for a holiday, or details of any Irish / British community centres in Manhattan, Queens or the Bronx that may be of help to her...

Thanks in advance!

Jemma

Hi Jemma,

I can confirm that it is possible to find work in New York at a bar or restaurant, but she will be working for tips only. Such jobs are available, and it is fairly common for younger Brits or Irish to outstay their 3 month admission. However, she should think long and hard about it. It is illegal, and if she had to leave for any reason (such as a family member being ill) she would be looking at a 10 year ban before she could return.

Originally Posted by Manc
I doubt any law abiding person would want to aid and abet a criminal
Immigration rules are so tough now that for most people, the dream of living in the USA remains just that, unless they outstay their visa. While this is illegal, it is only a minor offence, not something that you are liable to be locked up for. I wouldn’t compare it to violent crime or even e.g. tax fraud. There are 12 million people in the US who do not have legal status, remember.

There is a tendency among the Brit community for those who are fortunate enough to have legal status to vocally criticize their out-of-status compatriots. Often more so than average Americans do.

Last edited by Bladerunner; Jan 15th 2008 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuart
Yes i am. I have worked hard to get where i am and over come many difficulties. The fact the U.S gov does not issues visa to my trade is not my fault really is it? It is not that they view me as unskilled i the sense that i have no skills.
Trying to understand this but as English is not your first language
its a bit difficult..
Are you saying you talent are not wanted by the US goverment ..
therefore you cannot get a visa.... that would seem to apply to a
good many people
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:15 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, is that an Rem 870 or a 1300 Defender?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe i am dumb then i do not get that. I am not a lawyer?

Last time for those in the cheap seats. I was offered work. I did not sneak in.
I did not claim benefit money or ask the U.S gov for help. Like so many do here in the UK.
I found out i could not get a visa, we left.
However you got here - if you were working here illegally, it was illegal. Simple enough.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Ray, is that an Rem 870 or a 1300 Defender?
Mossberg 500
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You are that much of a prick you just had to point this out.
Hey... I call it as I see it!

We did not hide on a boat/plane to enter the U.S. I entered as i was offered work and hope of a visa.
To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "illegal is as illegal does". The "hope of a visa" is not the same as "a visa". You can call it what you want, but you are no better than the thousands of illegals in the UK or the millions of illegals in the US. Don't even try to pretend that you are.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:59 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
...There is a tendency among the Brit community for those who are fortunate enough to have legal status to vocally criticize their out-of-status compatriots. Often more so than average Americans do.
That's because Americans are born in America, and know almost nothing about the immigration system in their country, just like the average Brit knows bugger all about the British immigration system. "Average" Americans are typically less critical of European illegals (who they imagine can become legal without much trouble if they just try) than of Mexican and South American illegals, because European illegal immigration has not been politicized.

But those of us who are here legally have every reason and right to be f***ing critical of our compatriots who somehow think that it's "not fair" that they're not eligible for a work visa, so they come over and work illegally anyway. Those of us here legally have often invested years of our lives and a great deal of effort and money to gain the right to work here legally, live here as Permanent Residents and ultimately become US citizens.

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that a poor Mexican illegal doing a job that no American wants is far more deserving than some hypocritical prick who thinks Britain is too full of legal and illegal immigrants, and who is prepared to emigrate to the US and work illegally. And I'd rather be served my drinks by an American kid working their way through college, than by some British kid who thinks that the immigration laws don't apply to them because they're white and come from a rich country.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

However you got here - if you were working here illegally, it was illegal. Simple enough.
Okay, then tell ne how i should have proven my skills?
By showing them a piece of paper with my skills listed? Or by doing it?

No decent hair salon/hair team will take you by face value and by just a bunch of certificates.

Like i have stated i worked mainly for free, at private photo shoots and only got paided my cost. Say a taxi fare or some lunch money.
If the model wants to tip me, i am not going to say no thanks, Uncle Sam would not approve.
I had to prove i was worth the hassle of getting a visa for, that i was worth investing in.
Simple enough?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Hey... I call it as I see it!
No. If i remeber you joined this thread stating that as i was from the "styx" i was from the "underworld" "Colloquially speaking, away from civilization"
I would call that a cheap shot. But as i learnt from this thread, that is about the level of your intelligence.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "illegal is as illegal does". The "hope of a visa" is not the same as "a visa". You can call it what you want, but you are no better than the thousands of illegals in the UK or the millions of illegals in the US. Don't even try to pretend that you are.

Ian
Read my above post(s). Get your facts right.
Also i never pretend. I would guess that something your wife/girlfriend does when you are in bed with her. (See, two can play this game)
No Charge!

Last edited by Stuart; Jan 16th 2008 at 8:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.