Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Working illegally in New York

Working illegally in New York

Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working illegally in New York

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
VWP doesn't allow you to move here.
Thanks... my point exactly! They *enter* and then *stay*. But hey... I'm just impressed that you felt it necessary to quote a dictionary definition.

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:05 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - and "entering the US and staying" is the same as "moving to the US". If you're going to be pedantic, you could at least be correct!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yeah - and "entering the US and staying" is the same as "moving to the US". If you're going to be pedantic, you could at least be correct!
Yah... except I'm already correct! One doesn't move to the US... one emigrates... and emigration, by definition, is a legal process. If one bypasses the legal process, it becomes illegal. By extension, therefore, "moving illegally" is both oxymoronic and a contradiction in terms. QED. Ergo, one can not "move illegally" to the US... one enters, and then stays!

Geez... now my brain hurts!

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If one bypasses the legal process, it becomes illegal.
There's a whole load of wiggle room between legal and illegal in my book.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There's a whole load of wiggle room between legal and illegal in my book.
If you were "thinbrit", you'd have less wiggle room!

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Yah... except I'm already correct! One doesn't move to the US... one emigrates... and emigration, by definition, is a legal process. If one bypasses the legal process, it becomes illegal. By extension, therefore, "moving illegally" is both oxymoronic and a contradiction in terms. QED. Ergo, one can not "move illegally" to the US... one enters, and then stays!

Geez... now my brain hurts!

Ian
Hi:

The Immigration & Nationality Act recognizes the concept of being an "immigrant" without a proper visa. 212(a)(7) has both grounds in it.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
212(a)(7) has both grounds in it.
<sigh> I'm giving up and going home!

Ian
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:31 pm
Banned

SpiderTS is an unknown quantity at this point

well would your friend be willing to marry me so she can move to the US legally? I mean I want to opportunity to move to the UK so it would be the perfect match. I'm 24, and a graduate of a University in Boston Massachusetts.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpiderTS
well would your friend be willing to marry me so she can move to the US legally? I mean I want to opportunity to move to the UK so it would be the perfect match. I'm 24, and a graduate of a University in Boston Massachusetts.

Obviously, this is a joke. Right??????

If it isn't, then you have no conception what you are letting yourself in for if she were to take you up on this offer. Just imagine having her tied to you financially for ten years or more. Could be for a lifetime if she doesn't naturalize or work 40 eligible quarters for SSA. This is even after you divorce. It goes with the affidavit of support you have to sign for her and it is legally binding.

Then there is the fact that if she married you just for a green card and that is what you have offered her, you can be tried, jailed and financially penalized if found guilty.

Something to think!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

<sigh> I'm giving up and going home!

Ian

Which one? US, Canada, UK, Scotland????? Where you going, Ian?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:24 pm
Banned

SpiderTS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Obviously, this is a joke. Right??????

If it isn't, then you have no conception what you are letting yourself in for if she were to take you up on this offer. Just imagine having her tied to you financially for ten years or more. Could be for a lifetime if she doesn't naturalize or work 40 eligible quarters for SSA. This is even after you divorce. It goes with the affidavit of support you have to sign for her and it is legally binding.

Then there is the fact that if she married you just for a green card and that is what you have offered her, you can be tried, jailed and financially penalized if found guilty.

Something to think!

Well Rete thats just a risk I would be willing to take to stay in Europe as well. It's that much better over here than in the US.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:16 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Well Rete thats just a risk I would be willing to take to stay in Europe as well. It's that much better over here than in the US.
I hope you find a way to stay.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage of convenience is punishable under US law and is prosecuted.

http://www.callyourlawyers.com/iblog...441/index.html

Marriage fraud has been prosecuted, inter alia, under 8 U.S.C. § 1325 and 18 U.S.C. § 1546(a). The Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments Act of 1986 amended § 1325 by adding § 1325(c), which provides a penalty of five years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine for any "individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws." Under 8 U.S.C. § 1151(b), "immediate relatives" of U.S. citizens, including spouses, who are otherwise qualified for admission as immigrants, must be admitted as such, without regard to other, ordinary numerical limitations.

The Administrator has been advised that you have advertised elsewhere on this site to secure a MOC.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The Administrator has been advised that you have advertised elsewhere on this site to secure a MOC.
I thought MOC was some sort of coffee
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

'Disco coffee', I call that sweet stuff. You're sweet stuff.. should I start calling you disco?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.