Women's Voices

Old Jul 18th 2016, 1:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women's Voices

Originally Posted by Leslie
All the love to Rete, we go way back.

Incidentally, I took drama classes all through high school. However, I didn't take a college level speech class until I was 40 years old. It was very interesting and I did fairly well but I suffered with MAJOR stage fright. The class was mostly people half my age (or less) with a couple of older students but mostly young people. I think that I benefitted from having been exposed to so much life and having worked for decades in demanding situations, I knew how to speak.
I also studied speech and drama as a teen and have had no training since. However I have recorded a number of books for the state service for the blind as well as reading the news for the print handicapped on the state radio station. I have one of those "deep brown" voices (no, I'm not Lola!) and was told many times over the years that I could clean up by moonlighting on a "900" phone line!
Old Jul 18th 2016, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Forced to say something nice about Leslie, I must congratulate her on spelling ya'll correctly; very few do.
How does a contraction of "you all" become "ya'll"?

An apostrophe denotes one or more missing letters and yet no letters have been removed from between the "a" and the "ll" in "you all".
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

An apostrophe denotes one or more missing letters and yet no letters have been removed from between the "a" and the "ll" in "you all".
Remove the 'ou'. That's exactly how we say it too.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Remove the 'ou'. That's exactly how we say it too.
That's exactly my point "you all" becomes "y'all". ..... Which is also how I say it too, albeit with a Yorkshire accent.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 3:05 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly my point "you all" becomes "y'all". ..... Which is also how I say it too, albeit with a Yorkshire accent.
I fiercely disagree and I'll never change.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 3:21 pm

I fiercely disagree and I'll never change.
You disagree with what you said?

I'll never understand women.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2016 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 12:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We had Julia Gillard as PM for three years. She was hated by a large proportion of people and not just because of her policies or how she got the job. People hated her voice and it was constantly commented on. No male PM ever gets that sort of treatment. Can't say it bothered me but it seriously upset loads.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 1:06 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the second article, I hadn't read that one yet and it absolutely addresses some of the notions that I think make this an interesting discussion. BUT ... OMG .... what in the actual ****????

One Old Etonian told a tabloid newspaper that on the occasions women were admitted to club events — only for drinks, not formal dinners — they were treated “like fillies.” And not prized as thoroughbreds, he said: “We would make them get down on all fours like a horse, whinny, and bring out hunting horns and whips.”

Hey, that may be our new Foreign Secretary you're talking about there...
Old Jul 19th 2016, 11:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We had Julia Gillard as PM for three years. She was hated by a large proportion of people and not just because of her policies or how she got the job. People hated her voice and it was constantly commented on. No male PM ever gets that sort of treatment. Can't say it bothered me but it seriously upset loads.
I did also think of Julia Gillard when I mentioned Helen Clark. Ms Gillard was also pilloried for her voice, her hair etc.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:29 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
To my ears (American, but spent several months bumming around Australia and otherwise met quite a few Aussies outside of Australia), Gillard sounds like a generic Aussie. Perhaps it actually does sound different to the locals, but I'm not hearing anything exceptional.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I know it looks like that, but if it were true, one would never use "you all" as a singular, and the common plural "all ya'll" would be plain silly. Historically, "you" became "yall" (the apostrophe is a distraction) the same way that Bristow became Bristol***. In some British dialects, w is substituted for l and vice versa. It's a linguistics thing. Middle-middew and back, in parts of the Home Counties.
*** Indeed, there are many Bristolians who subconsciously don't feel comfortable ending a word with a vowel-sound. It's the obverse of the strong Italian-language preference for adding a final vowel to so many nouns.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 7:53 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

There were several strong nouns used whenever Thatcher was mentioned around Yorkshire parts. Now there was a woman with a voice.