Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Withdrawing cash from a UK pension

Withdrawing cash from a UK pension

Old Jan 31st 2018, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Withdrawing cash from a UK pension

I have a pension in the UK from 20+ years ago. Currently, it's around £11,000 so below the personal tax allowance if I take it all as cash. I have no other UK income and am over 55.

So, can I withdraw the money without paying UK tax and would it then be liable to tax in the US?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Lololita is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Withdrawing cash from a UK pension

Tax will be deducted from your payment, but HMRC will refund it to you. (You can fill out some forms to make your UK status no-tax, but you don't need to just for this)

Regarding US tax liability, I asked the same question on the main board and the response was that US tax has to be paid on it.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Jimmysforeveryone is an unknown quantity at this point

The tax man always gets involved, it seems. The IRS code even has provisions for illegally-obtained funds!
Old Feb 8th 2018, 1:43 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lololita
Tax will be deducted from your payment, but HMRC will refund it to you. (You can fill out some forms to make your UK status no-tax, but you don't need to just for this)

Regarding US tax liability, I asked the same question on the main board and the response was that US tax has to be paid on it.
I've just been down this route.

You should be eligible for 25% tax free, the rest will be taxed at the marginal rate, and the pension provider is obliged to do this. However, as the remaining 75% is within the personal allowance, you should get a full refund upon your next tax declaration.

HMRC are very helpful on this kind of thing these days.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have since discovered it's closer to £25,000. I'm debating now whether to just let it ride.

Is the 25% tax-free a one-off or could that be taken annually?

I could take a big chunk off my mortgage with that but if it's taxable in the US, it's not worth it.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 7:18 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I have since discovered it's closer to £25,000. I'm debating now whether to just let it ride.

I could take a big chunk off my mortgage with that but if it's taxable in the US, it's not worth it.
The 25% is legislation, and is I believe a one-off.

But, if your pension provider allows it, you can split the balance over several chunks, withdraw each chunk - keeping it under the UK personal allowance limit - and spread that over two/several years. That way you can avoid UK tax completely, and legitimately.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I had an old UK pension with a company I left in 1994, I never contributed a penny towards it even when I worked for them. Three years ago I contacted the pension section and had the whole amount which had grown to $27,000 transferred to my bank account here with no penalty.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by plasticbag_uk
I had an old UK pension with a company I left in 1994, I never contributed a penny towards it even when I worked for them. Three years ago I contacted the pension section and had the whole amount which had grown to $27,000 transferred to my bank account here with no penalty.
By 'no penalty' do you mean no tax (on either side of the pond)?
Old Feb 10th 2018, 11:04 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by plasticbag_uk
That would have been before the change in legislation which came in in April 2016.

There were guidelines in place, similar to the current legislation, but the workings were left to the discretion of the pension fund managers. For 'lower' amounts, some would allow a total withdrawal as described by plasticbag_uk, some wouldn't.

The rule of thumb - according to my IFA - was that if the amount was around £25,000 or less, then there was a reasonable chance that the whole amount could be taken. I was on the point of making the request, but some miracle occurred (!) and the latest quote put me a few thousand higher than the 25k 'guideline' figure.

I suspect that company pension funds would have been more sympathetic than private pension funds.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 4:40 pm
Gloves off

Also, if you have a pension in the US, it might be worth looking at QROPS?

This link may give some pointers.

I looked at taking the QROPS route to bring mine into Switzerland a few years ago, but ran into too many brick walls to go through with it.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have to pay UK tax as I came under the double taxation rules, I did provide evidence that I pay tax in the USA, but having declared the amount in my US taxes I still didn't pay tax on the amount.
Old May 24th 2018, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

So, the £25,000 pot is actually 2 separate policies. Looks like one was from employer's contributions and the other employee's contributions. One is £12,000 ish. The other £13,000 ish.

I am thinking of cashing one in this tax year and the other next year to get the personal tax allowance on both.

According to the pension company, I can take 25% tax free and the remainder they would tax at "40-45% emergency rate" and I could reclaim the tax. She repeated the 40-45% several times. Obviously reading from a script. The remaining 75% would fall under the current £10,850 personal allowance so I should be able to reclaim all of the tax.

Any ideas on how/where/what form I need to reclaim the tax?
Old May 24th 2018, 3:25 pm
Gloves off

So, the £25,000 pot is actually 2 separate policies. Looks like one was from employer's contributions and the other employee's contributions. One is £12,000 ish. The other £13,000 ish.

I am thinking of cashing one in this tax year and the other next year to get the personal tax allowance on both.

According to the pension company, I can take 25% tax free and the remainder they would tax at "40-45% emergency rate" and I could reclaim the tax. She repeated the 40-45% several times. Obviously reading from a script. The remaining 75% would fall under the current £10,850 personal allowance so I should be able to reclaim all of the tax.

Any ideas on how/where/what form I need to reclaim the tax?
It depends on if you generate any other UK income. Do you regularly do a UK self assement? If not, I believe the form is S100, but if you give HMRC a call, with a bit of luck you'll get passed through to some very helpful and knowledgeable people who will tell you what you need.
Old May 24th 2018, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
It depends on if you generate any other UK income. Do you regularly do a UK self assement? If not, I believe the form is S100, but if you give HMRC a call, with a bit of luck you'll get passed through to some very helpful and knowledgeable people who will tell you what you need.
I haven't done anything UK tax related since moving to the US 15 years ago. No other UK income whatsoever.

I only tracked this pension down last year. Don't know if I'm supposed to declare it on my US tax return.
Old May 24th 2018, 3:44 pm
Gloves off

Don't know if I'm supposed to declare it on my US tax return.
Can't help on that one, sorry.

Just checked my notes, I have generated additional UK income for the first time in 30 years, so maybe that's why I was advised to use S100. - which should have read SA100.

See also SA102 and SA109, although they may not apply in your case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.