From Windows to Mac

Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From Windows to Mac

I have to admit that I've been looking at the Mac for some time now and my existing Windows laptop is coming to the end of it's useful life. I've been looking at the MacBook Air 13 and the MacBook Pro 13.

Has anyone else made the transition from Windows to Mac? How painful was it? What did you miss?
Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Windows to Mac

I have (and work on) both and spent several years as an editor of computer magazines back home.

Despite what the enthusiasts say, the best one is whichever you choose and are happy with. There are features I like in both, but being a 'tinkerer', I have to say I can find more software and information on the PC than the Mac. That being said, for the basics and relative simplicity, the Mac is the way to go.

If you have basic computer knowledge, going from one to the other is not that difficult, but you'll have to get used to the way things work, like going to the left for the window sizing instead of the right, etc.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I went from Windows to Mac last year. It takes a bit of a while getting used to, but I'll never buy a windows competed again. The Mac is much faster than my old Windows machine, I love how the Mac links up with my other Apple devices. Windows just seems clunky now compared to the Mac OS.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 2:26 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I've owned both over the years and switched back and forth. Right now I'm using a MacBook Air.
The upfront cost is higher, but for Total Cost of Ownership and massively reduced pain-in-the-backside factor Mac wins. I don't have the patience to mess around rebooting/re-installing/removing viruses and general pc issues.

Windows machines are definitely improving, and I use them quite happily at work.

Before I left the UK I got my parents set up in the Apple ecosystem and I haven't had a single helpdesk call form them since. (Previously there was something to sort out almost every week).
Old Sep 13th 2015, 8:48 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Mac about 3 years ago, and would never go back. Ease of use is paramount to me, and Macs 'just work' - the only minor irritation is that some games that I used to play were not compatible, easily solved by dual-booting to windows.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife uses a mac, I can figure it out mostly but I am too cheap to ever spend that kind of money on a laptop, the prices are insane, but then I do nothing demanding on a computer so see no benefit to a mac, but she likes it.

Other then the battery no longer working, it works okay from what I can tell, and isn't difficult to figure out for me and I had never used an Apple anything since the 1980's......
Old Sep 13th 2015, 11:00 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my MacBook Pro for around 7 years and love it, I still use hubby's windows pc on occasion. I am not a tinkerer, I just want the thing to work seamlessly with my other gadgets - iPad and iPhone and it does. I think the only downside is getting used to another suite of word processing/ spreadsheet software but hubby got word for Mac dirt cheap through his work, so I now have the best of both worlds (albeit with the odd compatibility issue). The best thing is not having to wait for the damn thing to boot up, close down and no virus issues in 7 years, unlike our old windows pc and despite having anti virus software. Operating system upgrades have been free or cheap and don't seem to cause the issues we used to get with windows.

The Dude has the air and loves how light it is, but I'd miss my disc drive, not that I can remember the last time I used it LOL
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've used both...both have pro and cons.

Easier to fart around and get upgrades on the cheap for PC's compared to Mac's, which are pretty pricey on start up costs.

Could always dual boot, though I'm not sure if that breaks the T&C's of Windows, it did use to at least, technically.

The in-laws use Apple products and till recently, MIL was exclusive Mac from school and was always on the phone getting help to fix things that broke, or software not working properly and the school IT person didn't know how to fix the software so she called me. So I don't think it's all that "just works" as they make out, unless you're using vanilla software and nothing to out of the ordinary.

End of the day, it's going down to budget and what software you plan to use and how much of it you'll have to buy again if the licenses don't transfer from OS to OS.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably easy enough to find anecdotes from either side advocating in both directions.

I use a PC I built myself running Windows 7 after my ten year old XP laptop battery stopped holding a charge, I still occasionally use that laptop when traveling. My wife uses a Mac. I can't say her Mac ever seems to "just work" she always seems to have issues doing something or other. I can't really help either beyond looking up her error messages on Google.

I figure most things when they go wrong can be summarized by PEBKAC regardless of Mac or PC.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 1:08 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The in-laws use Apple products and till recently, MIL was exclusive Mac from school and was always on the phone getting help to fix things that broke, or software not working properly and the school IT person didn't know how to fix the software so she called me. So I don't think it's all that "just works" as they make out, unless you're using vanilla software and nothing to out of the ordinary.
I have to agree with your assessment on the 'just works'. Ten years ago Apple was definitely better at this, and mac/pc in this regard was night and day.

I have noticed since I went back over to the dark side (Apple) that they have slipped MASSIVELY. This no longer seems to be a competitive advantage. Which is weird when you're controlling both the hardware, OS and the software environments.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I figure most things when they go wrong can be summarized by PEBKAC regardless of Mac or PC.

I like that. PICNIC works for me too (Problem In Chair Not In Computer).
Old Sep 15th 2015, 2:57 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I did this transition for my personal computer two years ago.

This is totally dependent on what you plan on doing with your computer. I use mine primarily for grad school, work and light surfing. No games etc.

I really like my MacBook Pro. It's the details of the product: the fans rarely come on, the built in solid state memory is very fast, the screen is terrific, the keyboard is a great design, the touchpad is bar none the best in the industry, the speakers are actually good etc. Of course, Macs are expensive and a comparably priced Windows laptop might be as good. The Mac interface is generally pretty good and OS10 is extremely stable. I leave mine on all the time and it has never crashed and wakes up instantly when I lift the lid every time. With Macs, there's obviously no screwing around with driver updates etc, everything works without issue. This is a huge benefit as I hate tinkering with computers, I just want them to work, period.

I run Windows 7 through Parallels 11 if I need to run a Windows-only application, but this is rare. Parallels works very well in general. Microsoft Office for Mac kind of sucks, I run the Windows version of Office 13 through parallels if I really need to be productive.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 7:26 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I like that. PICNIC works for me too (Problem In Chair Not In Computer).
You have a point FIL buggers up his iPad on the regular - his IPAD FFS
Old Sep 15th 2015, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
You have a point FIL buggers up his iPad on the regular - his IPAD FFS
Make something fool proof and I'll find you a better fool.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:14 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Make something fool proof and I'll find you a better fool.
Tell me about it, I am Texas Tech Services - he called the other day to tell me he had bought Apple TV.

He was a bit worried at first that there were photos up there that clearly weren't his (it was the screensaver).

Was then worried that it was going to be a bit of a nuisance having to plug the Roku back in for Netflix. Bit of further explanation was required.

This weekend we moved on to using Airplay and he was super pleased to see us through FaceTime on the TV. Spent the rest of the conversation looking at the side of his face while he looked and talked directly at the TV. Have a horrible feeling MIL will spend the next year being subjected to Youtube videos of *insertcountry*has talent.

He then asked if there were any apps showing 'classic movies' - war, cowboys etc. Taught him how to search Netflix by genre, apparently he has always managed to find something to watch without pressing any other buttons.

Would anyone like me to pass on their e-mail - he will send an endless stream of "funny" jokes, "amazing" photos and political rants??
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Would anyone like me to pass on their e-mail - he will send an endless stream of "funny" jokes, "amazing" photos and political rants??
Trade you for my grandfather in law. He still just doesn't trust that Obama.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.