Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Will you grow old in America?

View Poll Results: Will you grow old in America?
No, can't imagine it!
11.76%
Yes, I know I will.
36.76%
I'd like to but probably not.
2.94%
I wouldn't like to but it may happen.
22.06%
Not sure what the future will bring.
22.06%
Other
8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Will you grow old in America?

Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you grow old in America?

Isn't there a travel ban for mausoleum countries?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:39 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I've already grown old in America and contrary to the perceptions of those UK expats who believe health care here is inferior to the NHS my health coverage in this country is excellent
Now that I'm finally on US Medicare, I agree. Before Medicare, I was too scared to get sick....
Old Oct 11th 2017, 3:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You needed a 'probably', so I guess that'll be 'other', then

I mean, I most likely will be here for the rest of my life. You can never rule anything out, but it's reasonably certain anyway.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Also "I am going to be frozen in liquid nitrogen until they work out how to bring me back".
"Pizza delivery for I.C. Wiener ..."
Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I live in a right not to grow old state. So I have options.
I live in Portlandia as well and have no idea of what you are referring to! I am surrounded by old folks in my neighborhood.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:06 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I live in Portlandia as well and have no idea of what you are referring to! I am surrounded by old folks in my neighborhood.
But, in Oregon, that is their choice!
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:54 am
Just Joined

thelivinglegend is an unknown quantity at this point

Am not American but many of my friends are, and according to what they have told me, most of them will relocate permanently to Southeast Asia or South America (some precious hidden gems in here).
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join the I've already grown old here group. With children and grand children here, it's pretty much a no brainer. I would have no one in the UK.
My wife has serious health problems stemming from Ovarian Cancer she had 40 years ago and I feel she gets first class treatment, no waiting list to see a Doc or admission to Hospital. Although Medicare plus medicare supplement costs over $800/month.
She's now recovering from a recent major op. Family can be a great comfort in these times.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
You must live in a rich neighborhood. A fair number of people take the easy option when they run out of money.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:11 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
So, you have a Medicare advantage plan with $0 monthly premium- just the part B premium? In that case, don't you have an annual deductible? (I have a $6,700 annual deductible.)

But maybe you have healthcare from a former employer as secondary?
I have Part A and Part B. The money that is deducted from my Social Security which would go to Medicare goes instead to my HMO. I have a $4,000 a year prescription allowance. If that amount were exceeded then I would have co-payments but at present there's no chance of that ever happening.
The drawback if that could be one is that the HMO I am with contracts with a set group of doctors and I had to choose one of those doctors in that group. Fortunately the one I have now is pretty good. One of the hospitals that the HMO contracts with is just a quarter mile down the road and my daughter works there so I'm in good shape

With Medicare-Medicare a person can choose any doctor or any hospital and generally doctors and hospitals tend to favor Medicare patients as payments for services are not subject to delays as those from HMOs. The only thing I don't like about Medicare is that it requires a supplemental plan to pay the difference that Medicare doesn't cover so you're paying out of pocket for that supplemental plan

I had a pretty fair health plan while employed with a local government agency but while my wife and daughter were on the plan I was paying around 500 dollars a month from my paycheck

Last edited by dc koop; Oct 13th 2017 at 5:18 am.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:15 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thelivinglegend
Am not American but many of my friends are, and according to what they have told me, most of them will relocate permanently to Southeast Asia or South America (some precious hidden gems in here).
Hope they speak the languages and can manage to adapt to the new cultures and ways of life
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Now that I'm finally on US Medicare, I agree. Before Medicare, I was too scared to get sick....
Which is probably will happen to about 20 million others when Trump finally gets his way and puts ObamaCare out of business and contrary to his rosy election promises there will be nothing "wonderful" to replace it
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:12 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Am recovering (I hope) from a bout of less-than-optimal health, so I can't be arsed to make this a logical, sensible kind of poll. But in my low state of mind in the past few weeks, I've begun to wonder about this....
You've answered your own question right there - the crappy state of American healthcare may well preclude the possibility.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:17 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I have Part A and Part B. The money that is deducted from my Social Security which would go to Medicare goes instead to my HMO. I have a $4,000 a year prescription allowance.
With my Blue Cross prescription drug plan (CAD$762) I can get a year's supply of insulin in Alberta for less than what one vial costs OTC ($264) in the US.

I rest my case. It's all well and good saying you get Medicare when you hit 65 but it's not exactly free and even if it were, how much did you pay out before you hit 65?
Old Oct 18th 2017, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like I'm the first to hit the 'like to but probably not' button!

My high BP (145/100+, on ever rising med dosage since entering US) means that I'll probably kark it before I hit retirement age, like most of my forebears before me. Shit happens.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Seems like I'm the first to hit the 'like to but probably not' button!

My high BP (145/100+, on ever rising med dosage since entering US) means that I'll probably kark it before I hit retirement age, like most of my forebears before me. Shit happens.
Old age is a curse not a blessing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.