Wii Fit

Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Question Wii Fit

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advise on this. I was thinking it could be a fun way for me and other half to get some exercise but I know nothing about the Wii.

I saw this bundle on BJ's and it seems like a good bundle with all that we might need to get started. Do you think we would need anything additional and does the price seem good?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wii Fit

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Just wondering if anyone can give me some advise on this. I was thinking it could be a fun way for me and other half to get some exercise but I know nothing about the Wii.

I saw this bundle on BJ's and it seems like a good bundle with all that we might need to get started. Do you think we would need anything additional and does the price seem good?

Thanks in advance!
What bundle? What did it include and what was the price?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You've got a Wii I take it?

The Wii Fit Plus, is just the board and the Wii Fit Plus "game"...that's all you need, though a yoga mat helps. The batteries in that thing last for ages compared to the remotes, so you don't need to bother with the chargers nor the silicone covers.

Probably find them on craigslist/ebay for cheap though as they tend to get used for a few months and end up behind the tele gathering dust once people get bored of the activities.

They are a lot of fun though and it does help to "play" against other people as you can get a little competitive about reaching milestones and the like.

Only game I've seen that uses the board as a extra controller as been Punch Out, but it's near impossible using the board and you end up sticking to the classic controller instead
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What bundle? What did it include and what was the price?
OOOppps duh, forgot to add the link lol

http://www.bjs.com/wii-super-fitness...ct.167268#more
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
OOOppps duh, forgot to add the link lol

http://www.bjs.com/wii-super-fitness...ct.167268#more
That's a pretty good deal...though no idea about EA Active.

Thing is, you can get a Wii for $200 these days that includes Wii Sport&Resort with the new Wii Plus remotes, basically it's the plus built into the old regular style remote so you don't have the lump on the bottom. Also if you get the 25 year anniversary Mario edition, you get the new Mario game.

Wii Fit Plus is $99 new, but Target had it on sale for $60 today...and EA Active is only about $40 new, $20 second hand if you really wanted it, so I think you could probably do better on price.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:47 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I think Walmart has the wii and wii fit bundle for $260 or so at the moment. Not sure if it comes with the same extras.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:07 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's a pretty good deal...though no idea about EA Active.

Thing is, you can get a Wii for $200 these days that includes Wii Sport&Resort with the new Wii Plus remotes, basically it's the plus built into the old regular style remote so you don't have the lump on the bottom. Also if you get the 25 year anniversary Mario edition, you get the new Mario game.

Wii Fit Plus is $99 new, but Target had it on sale for $60 today...and EA Active is only about $40 new, $20 second hand if you really wanted it, so I think you could probably do better on price.
I like EA Active better than Wii Fit, if you are wanting to properly work out as oppossed to just playing. The exercises are much more strenuos and actually make you sweat, you can really feel it the following day. You can do it as 2 player and work your way through the fitness sessions, they change so one day you might work mainly on your legs, the next day on your arms.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

I've just bought the new Xbox 360 Kinect set up from Amazon for $400 - definitely knocks socks off the Wii. There are sensors in the device that can see you - no controllers to hold. Absolutely the new generation in keep fit and gaming.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB...4541357&sr=8-2

Not a huge amount of software yet, but it's definitely the way to go.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You might also want to look at the Xbox 360 with Kinect. It was introduced by Microsoft in November and about 8 million Kinect controllers have already been sold. With this you don't need to hold a controller in your hand and it will mimick your arm, leg, hip, and other movements. If the games is multi person and another person comes into the sensing area, another person will appear on the screen and his/her movements will also be mimicked.

It is also HD where the Wii is only SD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Microsof...=1218228657992

The following are some demos of the Kinect feature.

http://www.washburnreview.org/a-e/2....ming-1.1835318
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B0Z6FQPE1Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUsiFjeRWjw

The disadvantage is that there is probably not a lot of games yet available for the Kinect controller.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:29 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

If you are at all into musicals, dance on broadway for the Wii is very funny, and exhausting.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Michael
You might also want to look at the Xbox 360 with Kinect. It was introduced by Microsoft in November and about 8 million Kinect controllers have already been sold. With this you don't need to hold a controller in your hand and it will mimick your arm, leg, hip, and other movements. If the games is multi person and another person comes into the sensing area, another person will appear on the screen and his/her movements will also be mimicked.
It's a bit misleading, that's not sell through, but to retail..but yeah, it's sold well, but the line up is still shit. Dance Central is nice, but not that great, Adventures is a bit meh, though the exercise one is a really nifty one.

Also need a lot more space for it to work, especially so if multiple people are different sizes, so gets a bit iffy playing with the kids and the menu's suck, plus not enough resolution for hand gestures, yet, that'll be fixed in a firmware update at some point apparently though.

It's probably worth waiting unless you're likely to get a load of games anyway as a console player because it could well turn out to be like the Eye Toy...so you'll find it second hand cheap enough.

And the SD v HD, for these type of games, it really doesn't matter a snot tbh.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth shopping around on the price as Bob pointed out you can buy the Board etc seperate.

I bought a Wii for my kids for Christmas, it was has the Wii, one remote, Sports and Sports resort, I bought it the Saturday after thanks giving and paid $140 at Meijers.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:02 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I like EA Active better than Wii Fit, if you are wanting to properly work out as oppossed to just playing. The exercises are much more strenuos and actually make you sweat, you can really feel it the following day. You can do it as 2 player and work your way through the fitness sessions, they change so one day you might work mainly on your legs, the next day on your arms.
I agree. We just got the EA active. You don't need to hold any controllers with it either. You have arm and leg bands. It's quite the workout!