Reload this Page >

Wife's US and UK Driving License/ Insurance

Wikiposts

Wife's US and UK Driving License/ Insurance

Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wife's US and UK Driving License/ Insurance

Hello, we recently moved back (I'm British, wife is American) and my wife needs to get her driving license. I know she has 12 months on her US license and needs to apply for her provisional then pass tests but until then we're struggling getting insurance.

Has anyone gone through a similar problem? Any advice on good insurance companies for recently arrived US drivers is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife's US and UK Driving License/ Insurance

This topic often comes up on the American forums.

The advice seems to be to use a broker as they will know which companies will insure Americans, but the onus is still on your wife to ensure the policy will definately cover her. There have been a few cases where someone has bought a policy online, driven on it and then found out they weren't covered.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:50 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading about this on the UK-Yankees site and a few of the USC's there got a better deal through Aviva http://www.aviva.co.uk/car-insurance/ other though a local broker. Many had taken a letter from their US insurance company saving they hadn't made claims and a print out of the DMV check .
We'll have to do the same for Dh as he's never had a UK license.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pauljarv
Hello, we recently moved back (I'm British, wife is American) and my wife needs to get her driving license. I know she has 12 months on her US license and needs to apply for her provisional then pass tests but until then we're struggling getting insurance.

Has anyone gone through a similar problem? Any advice on good insurance companies for recently arrived US drivers is greatly appreciated.
Just had the same problem after moving back to uk..my dad just insured the car in his name and had me as a named driver with my US licence, until I get my provisional. Elephant.co.uk was the insurance company we used.. easy!!
J.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Just had the same problem after moving back to uk..my dad just insured the car in his name and had me as a named driver with my US licence, until I get my provisional. Elephant.co.uk was the insurance company we used.. easy!!
J.
Just as long as your dad really is the main driver. The insurers are aware that many do this just to reduce costs but they still take your money. If they have to pay out on a claim, it's a different story and you could find yourself with no insurance when you need it most!
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Just as long as your dad really is the main driver. The insurers are aware that many do this just to reduce costs but they still take your money. If they have to pay out on a claim, it's a different story and you could find yourself with no insurance when you need it most!
Yep he is untill I get my UK license.