Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Old Jul 28th 2017, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Poster does have a point. LA did lead the country in shootings last year and the year before.

LAPD Leads Nation in Number of Fatal Shootings of Civilians in 2016 | L.A. Weekly
Is there some kind of secret competition?
Old Jul 30th 2017, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Only loosely related to OP's question. I was talking to a met police copper. A current nasty they are contending with in UK is the rising use of acid/ ammonia as a weapon. He was called in for fear of rioting in Hackney and the previous night liquids were being thrown at the cops.

I'm not making a specific point, other than policing is hard everywhere and I wouldn't want to do the job.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
If you take the Gruniad seriously
I gave you two sources including the LA Times. Are you equally going to dismiss them?
Old Jul 31st 2017, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesten
Only loosely related to OP's question. I was talking to a met police copper. A current nasty they are contending with in UK is the rising use of acid/ ammonia as a weapon. He was called in for fear of rioting in Hackney and the previous night liquids were being thrown at the cops.

I'm not making a specific point, other than policing is hard everywhere and I wouldn't want to do the job.
Yes, acid attacks are becoming a real problem in the UK lately.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 5:56 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I gave you two sources including the LA Times. Are you equally going to dismiss them?
Personally I don't give two hoots if the LAPD lead the score. They're not my police force anyway. Cant remember the last time there was a police shooting in my neck of the woods. But if a robber or other criminal carries a gun, threatens anyone with it and refuses to give it up does it really matter if he gets shot? The alternative is that he'll go to prison, get three good meals a day, medical and dental attention, spend his time body building and maybe one day end up appearing on "Lockup"
Old Jul 31st 2017, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It's unfortunate the POlice here had to shoot the owners of our local Filipino food place. I only got to go there once before they were shot. There has not been another one since.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I don't give two hoots if the LAPD lead the score. They're not my police force anyway. Cant remember the last time there was a police shooting in my neck of the woods. But if a robber or other criminal carries a gun, threatens anyone with it and refuses to give it up does it really matter if he gets shot? The alternative is that he'll go to prison, get three good meals a day, medical and dental attention, spend his time body building and maybe one day end up appearing on "Lockup"
(i) I didn't mention anything about the LAPD "leading the score".
(ii) If you did a modicum of research, you'd see that they managed to shoot a lot of people who weren't commiting criminal acts.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 6:55 pm
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Yes, acid attacks are becoming a real problem in the UK lately.
That is because most young brits are mindless yob who wouldn't give two hoots about killing someone.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 6:57 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
(i) I didn't mention anything about the LAPD "leading the score".
(ii) If you did a modicum of research, you'd see that they managed to shoot a lot of people who weren't commiting criminal acts.
I always find in cases where police are alleged to have shot someone without due cause that it comes down to a "he said vs he said" situation. Unless there's an actual video available then to allege that they shoot a lot of people who weren't committing criminal acts a bit of a straw man.

Approaching a cop with any kind of weapon even if that person is not committing a crime can be viewed by the cop as a deadly threat.

If were to apprehend someone lurking in the back yard of my home in the dead of night and hold him at gun point while my wife called 911 I would immediately place my firearm on the ground as soon as the police arrived.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 6:57 pm
Banned

Would you say that if your son or brother was the robber or if Justine Diamond was your wife or sister or daughter. One thing I have noticed is for all the guns in america and all the laws in favour of self defense it doesn't seem to deter anyone does it?
Old Jul 31st 2017, 7:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by albanks2542
That is because most young brits are mindless yob who wouldn't give two hoots about killing someone.
Maybe one way to stop acid attacks is to take a page from the Iranian law on the subject. A young Iranian woman was terribly disfigured by a rejected suitor who threw acid in her face. The court decided that the same should be done to the attacker.

it would only have to be done once to stop such attacks once and for all.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 7:09 pm
Banned

Would you say that if your son or brother was the robber or if Justine Diamond was your wife or sister or daughter. One thing I have noticed is for all the guns in america and all the laws in favour of self defense it doesn't seem to deter anyone does it?
if my brother or son earned a living robbing people at gun point and one or the other ended up getting shot by the police I'd say "serves the silly sod right"

In 1983 my wife was working late and on her way to her car in a downtown parking lot was robbed at gun point. They took her purse and her watch. The loss of property was nothing compared to the trauma she suffered afterwards. She had to quit her job and later found another job not far from home.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 7:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe one way to stop acid attacks is to take a page from the Iranian law on the subject. A young Iranian woman was terribly disfigured by a rejected suitor who threw acid in her face. The court decided that the same should be done to the attacker.

I caused a right-leanjng, born-USC colleague some amusement a few years ago when I suggested that "cruel and unusual punishment" should mean "no more cruel and unusual than the crime for which the punishment is being meted out".
Old Jul 31st 2017, 7:31 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

What absolute rubbish.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 7:47 pm
Banned

And the death penalty should be bought back and a member of a killers family executed for their crime. Though I don't think either would work in England because sadly for whatever most of the young people don't seem to give a damn about anything and think or feel they have nothing to lose. Which I think is very sad.

Last edited by albanks2542; Jul 31st 2017 at 7:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.