Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do many American men refer to their wife's as their "boss"?

Why do many American men refer to their wife's as their "boss"?

Old Mar 24th 2018, 5:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do many American men refer to their wife's as their "boss"?

Originally Posted by Leslie
You can take it as my personal opinion and a point of debate. A financially responsible father, IMO, is not the same as a father who lives in the home. (Mr. Lanza does not fulfill the "strong masculine hand" that Frye's theory describes).

Not that it is necessarily a bad thing. I'm not the one condemning single motherhood here. If that arrangement worked for them, then it's really none of anybody's business.

It was Frye that listed Lanza in his examples. Incidentally, if Mr. Lanza was indeed a strong male figure in Adam's life, that would also factually dispel Frye's argument.
But staying in the home isn't always the best course when parents are warring -- and there was another son to consider. There's a New Yorker article that details how, despite being divorced, the parents worked together to try to find the best course of action for their son. Having been a workaholic when he did live there, perhaps his absence wasn't felt as greatly as it might have been in some families. But, to return to how this discussion got started, I do feel that the Lanza case isn't appropriate to bolster Frye's point of view.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 5:18 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Must admit I thought this thread needed your presence to be complete.
This thread was stupid from post #1. The only time I've ever heard any (American or otherwise) man refer to their wife as "the boss" is when they're trying to weasel their way out of making an uncomfortable decision, e.g, "I'll have to check with the boss." Whatever.

Incidentally, I've never heard the term "SWMBO" used by anybody but Brits.

Now, the thread has morphed into blaming women for the serial and mass murders that are overwhelmingly committed by men.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 5:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But staying in the home isn't always the best course when parents are warring -- and there was another son to consider. There's a New Yorker article that details how, despite being divorced, the parents worked together to try to find the best course of action for their son. Having been a workaholic when he did live there, perhaps his absence wasn't felt as greatly as it might have been in some families. But, to return to how this discussion got started, I do feel that the Lanza case isn't appropriate to bolster Frye's point of view.
I hope Frye reads this post because his argument doesn't leave room for the complicated real life situations that lead to mothers raising their children alone. I would never have even introduced Lanza into the debate, it makes no sense. Mr. Frye seemed to be blaming Mrs. Lanza for somehow emasculating Adam into becoming a school shooter when clearly that never happened.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 5:26 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
As lansbury (I never know if your name starts with a lower case 'l' or a capital 'I')
It's Lansbury with a lower case L. Saves having to remember to press the shift key when I log in. I need to make things simple as I get older.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 3:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Now, the thread has morphed into blaming women for the serial and mass murders that are overwhelmingly committed by men.
Well of course. Everyone knows that women aren't capable of bringing up boys properly on their own
Old Mar 25th 2018, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread was stupid from post #1. The only time I've ever heard any (American or otherwise) man refer to their wife as "the boss" is when they're trying to weasel their way out of making an uncomfortable decision, e.g, "I'll have to check with the boss." Whatever.

Mr F has used it but I think he is a fan of the Rumpole books.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 5:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Mr F has used it but I think he is a fan of the Rumpole books.
But the phrase is from a Rider Haggard story, only secondarily from Rumpole who is quoting it.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that now but I certainly came across it through Rumpole and assumed it went back to Hilda.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 7:00 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Seriously, disprove the fact the most serial killers/mass shooters come from fatherless homes.
When you throw out an unsubstantiated fact, the onus is on you to prove your claim. Not the other way around.

TBH, I'm having a difficult time finding a mass shooter who came from a fatherless home. Curious, huh?

Omar Mateen - raised by both parents.

Eric Harris - raised by both parents. Father was military.

Dylan Klebold - two parent household.

James Holmes - same.

Charles Whitman - two parents. Abusive father.

Seung-Hui Cho - two parent household.

Syed Rizwan Farook - two parents. Abusive father.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Lagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
What a half-witted comment.

My son, now 18, has grown up in a fatherless home. He fairly recently acquired a stepfather.

He hasn't done any of the things you mention above. He has a university place to study engineering and last night received a "scholar athlete" award from his school.
You are the half-witted one if you believe that one instance disproves a general trend.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Lagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeLagoon Nebula has a reputation beyond repute

Straw man argument, but single motherhood is the contributing factor to their traumatizing childhoods, the biggest example of which is Charles Manson. The majority of the prison population were illegitimate children.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
As lansbury (I never know if your name starts with a lower case 'l' or a capital 'I') pointed out, SWMBO is pretty close.

I occasionally, jokingly and with much love, refer to mine as my accountant, but a) I'm shite with money so I need to be watched and b) I was raised in a very matriarchal family, so I'm not either unfamiliar with, nor bothered by the idea of a woman in charge and if my wife is either figuratively or literally 'the boss', I'm all good
And what kind of women want to be married to a man who is admittedly incompetent? But maybe that is the result of being raised in a matriarchal family.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lagoon Nebula
You are the half-witted one if you believe that one instance disproves a general trend.
The trend is about as “general” as your observation that in the US men refer to their wives as “the boss.” They don’t, so this whole thread is moot.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:11 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Lagoon Nebula
Straw man argument, but single motherhood is the contributing factor to their traumatizing childhoods,
What about all of the examples I gave where they came from a nuclear family?

the biggest example of which is Charles Manson.
Indeed. Perhaps Manson would have had a better life if his father had stepped up to his responsibilities and not abandoned his child.

The majority of the prison population were illegitimate children.
You'll have to provide some proof to support that statement. But I'm not sure why you even mention it though because the majority of the prison population are neither mass shooters nor serial killers. The goal posts keep shifting.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:12 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The trend is about as “general” as your observation that in the US men refer to their wives as “the boss.” They don’t, so this whole thread is moot.
I think we all know exactly what this thread is about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.