British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Why do Brits hate baseball? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/why-do-brits-hate-baseball-437644/)

BamaBrit Apr 3rd 2007 9:52 am

Re: Why do Brits hate baseball?

i tried to watch a baseball game once and soon realised it was like cricket, it was at that time i had to use the toilet and looked in the mirror and realised my eyes were bleeding from boredom!!!! :D

NASCAR is boring if your watching it for the race, you need to be watching it in the anticipation of a major crash, then its exciting.:thumbsup:

dbj1000 Apr 3rd 2007 10:20 am

Go.... Roughriders!

When I lived in Soho in London, there were ads for Roughriders condoms all over the place. Apparently my local team named itself after extra-thick gay jonnies!

...and then you get the whole stadium singing YMCA, complete with arm motions, in the warmup before the game, apparently without any hint of irony.

What a strange country we live in!

Lycanthrop Apr 3rd 2007 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 4563816)
I mean it's just not cricket!

Its a cool game to watch live......its better than US Football thats for sure..........;)

BamaBrit Apr 3rd 2007 12:00 pm

i actually like American football, i guess you really need to understand the rules before you can enjoy it though because it took me the best part of 4 years to finally get into it.

Manc Apr 3rd 2007 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 4598948)
...and then you get the whole stadium singing YMCA, complete with arm motions, in the warmup before the game, apparently without any hint of irony.

It's like they still play Gary Glitter "Come On Come On" to get the kids up in the crowd dancing.

I just sit there and shake my head.

Lycanthrop Apr 3rd 2007 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 4599225)
It's like they still play Gary Glitter "Come On Come On" to get the kids up in the crowd dancing.

I just sit there and shake my head.

So you're the one who is the gap in the crowd when everyone else is doing "the wave"..........

Admittedly, the Nat Anthem is a bit OTT though.........

dbj1000 Apr 3rd 2007 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by BamaBrit (Post 4599203)
i actually like American football, i guess you really need to understand the rules before you can enjoy it though because it took me the best part of 4 years to finally get into it.

Are you saying we all don't like American Football because we're too stupid to understand the rules?!?

Well, are you? ;) :rofl:

Bob Apr 3rd 2007 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by BamaBrit (Post 4599203)

It's not the rules, it's the continual stop start lasting 4 hour nature of the sports over here that get on my tits...

BamaBrit Apr 3rd 2007 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 4599247)
Are you saying we all don't like American Football because we're too stupid to understand the rules?!?

Well, are you? ;) :rofl:

i didnt say anyone was too stupid to understand the rules, maybe not taken the time to learn them, i just like the game, some may not, but i think its great.

jumping doris Apr 3rd 2007 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by BamaBrit (Post 4599328)
i didnt say anyone was too stupid to understand the rules, maybe not taken the time to learn them, i just like the game, some may not, but i think its great.

I like football. I learnt the main rules fairly quickly, it's hardly rocket science.

dbj1000 Apr 3rd 2007 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by BamaBrit (Post 4599328)

I'm so glad you're not calling me stupid (it was a joke, by the way).

If we assume that the gorillas that play the game actually know the rules, they've got to be pretty damned simple!

PHX Apr 3rd 2007 5:36 pm

Simple, the sport is boring. :D