Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:12 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Originally Posted by exvj
Is it right for the Brits to be told by American women who have entered a British expats site, that they sound like 'pr*cks ?'
its irrelevant where you are from. If you write like a pr#ck - dont be surprised to be called on it!. (and im not american)
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings fellow Yorkshireman. Your words of support are welcome and your anti words are acceptable too as they are not embedded in acid.
Really I dont mind people thinking that taking plate scrapings home is ok. It's a free country.
But when I say something like 'my maiden aunt used to do that and we giggled' then I dont expect to be vivisected and called every kind of nasty todger - and I dont expect the glee club to arrive and start pasting me.
Still that is how it works and I have to accept it.
Yes they are not interested in my esoteric meanderings - its such a pleasure to encounter someone with clear perceptions and expressive vocabulary and wonderful powers of summation - the results of which I entirely accept. I was slowly coming to the same conclusion myself - but as you can imagine, it was couched in alternative phraseology..Matthew 7:6

Many thanks for your invaluable help - problem solved

ta muchly
One wonders how you were ever able to find your way out of Yorkshire with that attitude, or why you wanted to leave in the first place......
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:28 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings fellow Yorkshireman. Your words of support are welcome and your anti words are acceptable too as they are not embedded in acid.
Really I dont mind people thinking that taking plate scrapings home is ok. It's a free country.
But when I say something like 'my maiden aunt used to do that and we giggled' then I dont expect to be vivisected and called every kind of nasty todger - and I dont expect the glee club to arrive and start pasting me.
Still that is how it works and I have to accept it.
Yes they are not interested in my esoteric meanderings - its such a pleasure to encounter someone with clear perceptions and expressive vocabulary and wonderful powers of summation - the results of which I entirely accept. I was slowly coming to the same conclusion myself - but as you can imagine, it was couched in alternative phraseology..Matthew 7:6

Many thanks for your invaluable help - problem solved

ta muchly
Not a problem. I find it pays to have an expansive vocabulary, it helps to be able to express oneself clearly and concisely. Plus, my hope is that some of members here who are shall we say hard of thinking will read my posts and may actually learn something new and increase their own vocabularies. I like to give a little back you know...

Anyway, I like the concept of anti words, to me it draws a parallel with anti matter in the fact that when anti words come in contact with words there is a huge release of energy and then there is nothing, or possibly a new Dan Brown novel I'm not sure.

Anyway, as soon as you accept that not everyone will agree with you and appreciate your opinions then the better it will be. Personally, I take the misanthropic approach, then I have no problem if someone doesn't like me.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:37 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Not a problem. I find it pays to have an expansive vocabulary, it helps to be able to express oneself clearly and concisely. Plus, my hope is that some of members here who are shall we say hard of thinking will read my posts and may actually learn something new and increase their own vocabularies. I like to give a little back you know...

Anyway, I like the concept of anti words, to me it draws a parallel with anti matter in the fact that when anti words come in contact with words there is a huge release of energy and then there is nothing, or possibly a new Dan Brown novel I'm not sure.

Anyway, as soon as you accept that not everyone will agree with you and appreciate your opinions then the better it will be. Personally, I take the misanthropic approach, then I have no problem if someone doesn't like me.
Champion. If I was a woman I would pursue you and make you marry me - then I would devote my remaining years to making you happy in the most selfless way possible before leaving you the entirety of my wad. (I think that's more of a red rag than the plate scrapings)

As it is, all I can say is that's 'reyt as a bobbin' and I am overly chuffed to the extent of being most suited.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Alan,
I am one of the "they" you mention, one of the American women that you have labeled as "sour, bitter, fustrated, aggressive, bored, and unempowered." Guess what, that is not nationality specific or even gender specific on here.

Cindy go easy on the man. He was describing his wife.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 9th 2009 at 2:45 pm. Reason: This is an example of how your humour comes across ... mean spirited
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Cindy go easy on the man. He was describing his wife.
Still, he did marry one of his "beloved Americans".....
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future

Yes it's time we bottomed this. You know I don't like bland postings such as 'I am eating a biscuit, what are you eating' I like a subject that is not necessarily controversial, but something we can explore and learn from. Unfortunately, cultures do come into this and any observation about life in the US is often met by a shower of defensiveness from Americans. This is followed up at some stage by people throwing obscenities, doctoring peoples quotes and downright bad behavior. I never engage in doctoring quotes and hurling obscenities and I ask you to acknowledge that.
There is paranoia going on here but it isn't mine - I don't care whether people agree with me on doggy bags or say I am this or that - but some people are incensed and driven wild by someone saying it's cheap. The wild behaviour isn't coming from me at all - it's people who have never learned to discuss issues without getting belligerent or throwing obscenities.
Do I have a sometimes condescending style - yes. Are the English known for that - yes always have been. So what do you do, wipe out all the people who display some English attributes ? On a British Expats Site ? I have a Yorkshire style - somebody doesn't like it ? What do I do - try and become a become a Zulu ?

If we stamp out diversity on this site then it just leaves a few mid west housewives talking about chocolate buns and that is what the USA forum will have become.
As has been noted, I post page after page day after day with no trouble and much fun and shared info - then some gets really nasty at one of my opinions and calls me a sexual name and I resent it and push back. Shouldn't the mods be doing that for me instead of adding to the name calling ? What's all this about is my wife beating me ? Is that supposed to be some attempt at improving the peaceful flow of the forum ?

I simply cannot believe that one of you ladies doesn't a have a fairness bone somewhere in your body. I have much enjoyment on this site before people start this stuff - then you all gather and throw more and more insults while saying all the time that it's me who is provoking it. Read back the last 2 pages and say who is doing the provoking - say who the peacemakers are - say who the conciliatory messages are coming from...
just a word of support- I'm not from Yorkshire, loathe all things Clarkeson and Daily Mail- but hate even more having to deal with the bland and humourless and oh so literal Stepford Wives...
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:15 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooj
just a word of support- I'm not from Yorkshire, loathe all things Clarkeson and Daily Mail- but hate even more having to deal with the bland and humourless and oh so literal Stepford Wives...
exvj has to deal with a Stepford wife too - he's married to one!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooj
You realize it's the people on this site he was insulting, right?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:59 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I see the tail is still wagging the dog.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Clarki is an unknown quantity at this point

Sooooooo.........back to food

Why do they call a main call an entree? Isn't that a term for a starter?

Agreed though. They just rush you in and out here. The dutch use a word 'gesellig' (not sure of the spelling) but it means kind of relaxed and conversing (my vocabulary is rubbish after a glass of wine)
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clarki

Agreed though. They just rush you in and out here. The dutch use a word 'gesellig' (not sure of the spelling) but it means kind of relaxed and conversing (my vocabulary is rubbish after a glass of wine)
It's the main course. The starter/hors d'ourves are called appetizers.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clarki

I found that so confusing to start with
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I found that so confusing to start with
I'm confused now-DH means appetizers when he refers to starters.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I'm confused now-DH means appetizers when he refers to starters.
US...appetizers = UK...starters or hors d'ourves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.