Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

why cant i get onion bhajis

why cant i get onion bhajis

Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default why cant i get onion bhajis

why o why when i go for indian food here, they dont have onion bhajis on the menu.
does anyone else have this problem i just love em
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why cant i get onion bhajis

Originally Posted by redarmy990
why o why when i go for indian food here, they dont have onion bhajis on the menu.
Of the two restaurants near here, one does them, the other doesn't. Can't say I miss them though.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Around here, plenty of places do them, but usually with a different name. Name of dishes seem to be very inconsistent, same for Chinese food for that matter, so really hard to tell what you're getting without asking for descriptions.

Trader Joes sell some lovely samosa's and other curry bits and pieces too though.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Most places round here seem to do Pakoras which are similar.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:19 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Around here, plenty of places do them, but usually with a different name. Name of dishes seem to be very inconsistent, same for Chinese food for that matter, so really hard to tell what you're getting without asking for descriptions.

Trader Joes sell some lovely samosa's and other curry bits and pieces too though.
Mmmm.... cauliflower pakora....
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good question which I don't have an answer to.

Sometimes I daydream about the lovely onion bhajis I used to get for lunch from a Spanish cafe in London
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that availability of certain specific dishes depend on where the owner of the restaurant is from

Typically, the difference is literally north or south of India, which is why it's hard to find Persian dishes like Dhansak here, and the food, like Chinese, is tailored to the American palate and incorporate easier-to-obtain ingredients, which is why it tends to be a little more bland than we would get back home.

I, for one, miss a good pancake roll, not to mention good (or even ANY) curry!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I think you'll find that availability of certain specific dishes depend on where the owner of the restaurant is from

Typically, the difference is literally north or south of India, which is why it's hard to find Persian dishes like Dhansak here, and the food, like Chinese, is tailored to the American palate and incorporate easier-to-obtain ingredients, which is why it tends to be a little more bland than we would get back home.

I, for one, miss a good pancake roll, not to mention good (or even ANY) curry!
i can get a good curry but no bhajis.

are you trying to tell me that onions arent readily avaiable in the USA

The owners of my local indian back in UK were from Bradford and Leeds now i see the problem
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Egon
Most places round here seem to do Pakoras which are similar.
NO THEY ARE NOT.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

When in doubt, do it yourself!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/onionbhaji_85976

or a video:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-onion-bhaji

There are lots more recipes on the internets, surely one will give the finished product that you crave!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

i can get a good curry but no bhajis.

are you trying to tell me that onions arent readily avaiable in the USA

The owners of my local indian back in UK were from Bradford and Leeds now i see the problem
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

They're easy to make yourself.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:55 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
They're easy to make yourself.
Yes, but without burning the house down.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

I went to an Indian the other day - oh dear, what a disappointment.

The onion bhajis were weird. Just fried onion, but loose on the plate, not in a ball like we get at home.

Oh and the vindaloo I ordered was so NOT spicy it was ridic. My friend's korma was spicier. I asked for some chilli powder to put in it and the (Indian) bloke said "if you'd wanted it hot you should have said." Come on!! It's vindaloo it's suppose to blow your socks off - at least it would do so at home.

I suppose they are catering to Americans tastes. *sigh* I do miss a good curry.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I thought onion bhajis were just made up in britain, so if the Indian restaurant only has chefs from India (or thereabouts) they will only do actual Indian food rather than the bastardised British Indian food. A sure sign is if they don't do Chicken Tikka Masala. Luckily I have found a place that has lots of Indians and lots of British people, so they cater to both. Sorry to rub it in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.