Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:51 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Just to give piss into a hurricane, my thoughts:

People like me don't like Obamacare because we believe the cause of the healthcare disaster in the country is a result of healthcare costs, not healthcare coverage. Basically, it's a demand-side issue to me. Healthcare costs are too high in this country as a result of lack of competition (nobody comparison shops doctors for cost, that's a problem), lack of transparency in healthcare costs (the 82%+ of people in this country who have insurance don't actually pay the true cost of their healthcare and as a result have no motive to save money, that's also a problem) and out of control tort laws (does anyone disagree that this country is entirely too lawsuit happy?). The result is doctors and pharmaceutical companies can charge whatever they want. They can also suggest expensive and potentially unnecessary treatment because the people actually getting the care aren't actually paying for it (in fact they have no idea what the doctor is actually charging). I've personally seen this several times in my own experience. As a direct result, there's no linkage between the cost of healthcare and its efficacy. The demand distorting effect of employer-provided insurance disables people's ability to identify effective healthcare. Now, add in the huge cost of (largely frivolous) medical malpractice lawsuits and the required insurance and things get even worse. So, here we are with an incredibly expensive healthcare system that doesn't actually work that well.

Keeping the existing system intact and extending coverage to everyone solves exactly none of these core problems, in fact it makes all of them worse. The core issue is that it dramatically increases the price distortion that's already the central problem in healthcare. Also, it's ruinous to the Federal budget, gets politics deeply involved in healthcare and takes away the ability of individuals to make effective (from both a cost and curative standpoint) healthcare decisions. These all seem like legitimate reasons to disagree with Obamacare to me. Making the tough decision to force people to take ownership of the cost of their healthcare is politically unpalatable but will do much more to reduce healthcare costs and eventually solve the healthcare problem.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

People like me don't like Obamacare because we believe the cause of the healthcare disaster in the country is a result of healthcare costs, not healthcare coverage. Basically, it's a demand-side issue to me. Healthcare costs are too high in this country as a result of lack of competition (nobody comparison shops doctors for cost, that's a problem), lack of transparency in healthcare costs (the 82%+ of people in this country who have insurance don't actually pay the true cost of their healthcare and as a result have no motive to save money, that's also a problem) and out of control tort laws (does anyone disagree that this country is entirely too lawsuit happy?). The result is doctors and pharmaceutical companies can charge whatever they want. They can also suggest expensive and potentially unnecessary treatment because the people actually getting the care aren't actually paying for it (in fact they have no idea what the doctor is actually charging). I've personally seen this several times in my own experience. As a direct result, there's no linkage between the cost of healthcare and its efficacy. The demand distorting effect of employer-provided insurance disables people's ability to identify effective healthcare. Now, add in the huge cost of (largely frivolous) medical malpractice lawsuits and the required insurance and things get even worse. So, here we are with an incredibly expensive healthcare system that doesn't actually work that well.

Keeping the existing system intact and extending coverage to everyone solves exactly none of these core problems, in fact it makes all of them worse. The core issue is that it dramatically increases the price distortion that's already the central problem in healthcare. Also, it's ruinous to the Federal budget, gets politics deeply involved in healthcare and takes away the ability of individuals to make effective (from both a cost and curative standpoint) healthcare decisions. These all seem like legitimate reasons to disagree with Obamacare to me. Making the tough decision to force people to take ownership of the cost of their healthcare is politically unpalatable but will do much more to reduce healthcare costs and eventually solve the healthcare problem.
Thank you..finally the voice of reason !!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:17 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the current law does not reduce costs, Hiro, and I have one question for you.

Why is Medicare banned *by law* from negotiating drug prices from pharmaceutical companies?

Every capitalist recognises the power of buying in quantity and retail giants like Wal-Mart have thrived upon it. What makes Medicare different? Should the government be banned from buying *anything* in mass quantity so as to achieve a discount? Things like cement for road works?

There *needs* to be some form of universal coverage. I will not deviate from that principle. But this can only be accomplished through the reduction of cost. Congress has tied Medicare's hands on this issue, which is to me *proof* that multinational corporations run this country and not anyone we've ever elected.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

What porportion of the cost of healthcare is 'drugs' vs doctor fees/hosptial costs/insurance etc etc?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Why is Medicare banned *by law* from negotiating drug prices from pharmaceutical companies?
Because that was the only way the Republicans would vote for the Medicare drug benefit back in '04... ironically, the VA is allowed to negotiate with drug companies, meaning their drug costs are far lower than Medicare.

Hiro's right, of course - costs are the problem. The sad thing is there is no political will to tackle that. The few cost saving measures that healthcare reform put forward immediately brought cries of "death panels" and scaremongering of cutting seniors healthcare. It seems almost politically impossible to have an honest debate on this subject.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Because that was the only way the Republicans would vote for the Medicare drug benefit back in '04... ironically, the VA is allowed to negotiate with drug companies, meaning their drug costs are far lower than Medicare.

Hiro's right, of course - costs are the problem. The sad thing is there is no political will to tackle that. The few cost saving measures that healthcare reform put forward immediately brought cries of "death panels" and scaremongering of cutting seniors healthcare. It seems almost politically impossible to have an honest debate on this subject.
Can anyone explain to me the special treatment given to US "vets"? Not just medical, but special deals for education, mortgages, etc.?

I absolutely, unreservedly respect the idea of paying back the sacrifices that have been made by true vets (i.e., frontline military, those who served in combat zones) - regardless of whether you believe that the government should have waged any given war, it's a sh*t job.

What I don't understand is why, for example, someone who may have simply sat behind a military-issue desk for 10 years doing a job not too dissimillar to many non-military pencil-pushers deserves any special favors ...

I know someone who includes "Vietnam era vet" high up on his vitae. To my knowledge this person did not perform any dangerous military service in Vietnam itself, and the profession he is in has nothing to do with the military, so why should it be relevant?

Sorry, side issue but it's something I have never really understood.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:34 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Thank you..finally the voice of reason !!
Oh sure ... someone has obviously bought into the typical Republican scare tactics. A agree with Snowbunny 100% when she says "There *needs* to be some form of universal coverage. I will not deviate from that principle". Nicely said Amy. None of this is going to be fully implemented until 2022 anyway, so chill out people. Here's some interesting reading to put things in perspective:

http://personalinsure.about.com/od/h.../aa031709a.htm
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Can anyone explain to me the special treatment given to US "vets"? Not just medical, but special deals for education, mortgages, etc.?

I absolutely, unreservedly respect the idea of paying back the sacrifices that have been made by true vets (i.e., frontline military, those who served in combat zones) - regardless of whether you believe that the government should have waged any given war, it's a sh*t job.

What I don't understand is why, for example, someone who may have simply sat behind a military-issue desk for 10 years doing a job not too dissimillar to many non-military pencil-pushers deserves any special favors ...

I know someone who includes "Vietnam era vet" high up on his vitae. To my knowledge this person did not perform any dangerous military service in Vietnam itself, and the profession he is in has nothing to do with the military, so why should it be relevant?

I don't know-one of my great uncles (his brothers with the exception of one who was lame, all served) was a cook in WWI-he was gassed...........
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I don't know-one of my great uncles (his brothers with the exception of one who was lame, all served) was a cook in WWI-he was gassed...........
What were they cooking that day?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:09 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What were they cooking that day?
I don't kow, but whatever it was landed him in a sanitarium.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

One answer to the problems that you describe would be a universal single-payer system like the NHS in the United Kingdom. The Government imposes severe restraints on wages & salaries and on payments. The result is universal health-care at a reasonable cost.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I don't kow, but whatever it was landed him in a sanitarium.
Those WWI nurses had cute uniforms. Not saying that made up for being gassed, but still..
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
One answer to the problems that you describe would be a universal single-payer system like the NHS in the United Kingdom. The Government imposes severe restraints on wages & salaries and on payments. The result is universal health-care at a reasonable cost.
I reckon that would actually work out far cheaper and better for everyone, it is only an ideological fear which is holding the USA back on it. Additional private care would still be permitted as in the UK so you could still have the fancy doctors to prescribe painkillers to the stars.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Aye, it's an odd one...the missus has loads of uncles, pretty massive family, but only one got called up for Vietnam, the eldest, and no one talks about it more through embarrassment because he got a desk job working with weather satellites in NM and then paper pushing in Hawaii
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Not saying that Obama is perfect or the second coming of Christ.....but it doesn't matter who would have been elected, the job was all uphill from then.
Thats one of many opinions. Which, if anyone does not agree with said opinion or does not hail the second coming of obama, then we see the true colors of "progressives" come out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.