Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:44 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Originally Posted by Bob
There you go, on the mental streak of paranoia...
What is it with the left's obsession with calling everybody who disagrees with them a loony?

Originally Posted by Bob
Are you seriously saying you have a issue with the police doing a background check to see if someone has a criminal record before being allowed to buy/sell a gun?
Are you honestly saying that you believe those checks are the least bit effective at keeping guns out of the hands of criminals? This article argues that they're useless.

Background checks are actually very ineffective to begin with and are mostly an inconvenience for regular people. Unfortunately, many law-abiding citizens end up being erroneously flagged. People intent on horrific crimes are not going to be deterred if they cannot get the guns legally. They can easily enough get guns illegally.

The statistics are clear on this issue: Virtually the only people inconvenienced by background checks are law-abiding citizens. Just as law-abiding citizens accidentally get their names on the government’s “no-fly” list, Americans without a criminal record also find themselves prevented from buying guns.

In 2008, 1.5 percent of those having a Brady background check were forbidden from purchasing a gun. Unfortunately, virtually all these cases represent so-called “false positives.” In 2006 and 2007 (the latest years with detailed data), a tiny fraction — just 2 percent — of those denials involved possible unlawful possession; and just 0.2 percent of the denials were viewed as prosecutable — 174 cases in 2006 and 122 in 2007. Even when the government decided that the cases were prosecutable, at least a third of them failed to result in convictions. And even the few convictions were often for people who simply made mistakes — they hadn’t realized that they were prohibited from purchasing a gun.

The Brady background checks have done virtually nothing to prevent people with criminal intent from getting guns. Given that, it isn’t too surprising that no academic studies by economists or criminologists have found that the Brady Act or other state background checks have reduced violent crime.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:44 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Those paddles need holes drilled into them, makes them swish through the air faster
It was a frequent topic of conversation, that the girl's warden (I mean principal ) had holes in hers but the boy's abuser (I mean principal ) did not. Different factions fought and died over which one hurt the worst but we could never find out because the beatings were gender segregated.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Of course I can and quite right too. Voluntary transfer of private property is no business of anybody but the parties involved.
So then drug dealing should be legal too. Interesting. Dealing in biochemical agents as well. Certainly should be no law against selling unsafe cribs that kill babies, knowingly selling tainted food, dealing in forged documents, and I could make a list a mile long. We intervene regularly by reasonable regulation, and rightly so, in the transfer of property or goods for the protection of the general public in the areas of health and safety and security. I would have it no other way. I am sure that you totally agree with such intervention in areas where you consider that it serves to protect you and yours.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:47 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Uranium?
Cars?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Cars?
Body parts.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:02 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Body parts.
Kinder surprise eggs
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with the left's obsession with calling everybody who disagrees with them a loony?

Are you honestly saying that you believe those checks are the least bit effective at keeping guns out of the hands of criminals? This article argues that they're useless.
They are not very effective when they aren't used, that's for sure.
In most states convicted felons, domestic violence abusers, and those who are dangerously mentally ill can walk into any gun show and buy weapons from unlicensed sellers. Only a handful require checks at gun shows. The Columbine shootings involved just such guns. As have many others. If someone knows they are going to fail a background check, go to a gun show. And since those unlicensed sellers are, well, unlicensed, how do we know they are not criminals? When there have been background checks for all gun purchases in force for a year, you can trot out statistics. Until then, no. Because they are useless and mere tools of the gun lobby to taint the facts.

It also doesn't help when States fail to submit the necessary data to the system. The Virginia Tech shooter had been determined to be mentally ill and under court order to undergo treatment, and yet he legally bought a gun because that information never made it to the database in spite of the fact that Virgina is the leading contributer of such information to the database. These two numbers are an indication of why the system is not performing as it should, and the blame goes to the states involved.
Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence reports that Arizona has submitted only about 4,400 mental illness records out of an estimated total of 121,700. (North Carolina has submitted only 12,500 out of an estimated 330,000.)

That is a pretty damn big loophole to slip through. Wouldn't you say?

Last edited by dakota44; Jan 18th 2011 at 8:50 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Kinder surprise eggs
They should be banned along with guns...let's face it the US would be a better place without both.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:08 pm
WTF?

Body parts.
Babies?

That one is iffy.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, because someone disagrees with your stand, they're a leftie? Blimey.

I'm all for guns, but I'm also of the thinking that owning a gun should have some responsibilities, which you seem not to want.

Making it easy to buy a gun does in fact make it easy to get in the hands of the criminal. I say that, because that's just how the majority of illegally used guns in my state come from, from Georgia and Maine, who do have very laid back laws of not requiring ID, background, or even residential checks to buy and sell guns, so plenty of people go up there and buy them legally, because it is in fact easier than getting them else where and then go on to move them around and sell them illegally.

So yes, it would help quite significantly. Sure illegal guns will still be had, people will still steal them etc, but to get an illegal gun, it must first have been a legal gun. Taking that easy step out of the equation changes things.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

And you'd be free to make that choice.

That's the big difference between the two sides in this row. One side wants to expand freedoms, the other side seeks every opportunity to restrict them.
Would she be free to make that choice? I know in some CA locations, you are required to go to a school 'nearby' (I don't know the exact rules). So we'd have to introduce a 'conscientious objector' type exclusion. And if not, then she'd be forced to send her child to a school where the teacher may have a gun in his pocket ... And that would represent a 'freedom' to her?

Do what now? Nobody has suggested that, but I guess it's understandable that folks whose world view is based upon the idea that everything which is not forbidden is compulsory and everything which is not compulsory is forbidden might jump to that conclusion.

How about we leave grown ups alone to make their own decisions? Not everything has to be micro-managed by dictat.
Let's think through some interesting scenarios here ...

A teaching position is open and we are down to the two final candidates. One carries, the other does not. Whoever does not get the job could claim discrimination. We find out the principal does not like guns; the 'carry' guy argues the school is biased against carrying candidates. Or vice versa. Some poor performing teacher who 'carries' is fired. He claims he was fired because he carried ... or vice versa ....

Some school in texas has a bunch of parents who have an agenda for gun ownership; they start having their kids boycott classes taught by non-gun carriers "in the name of my childs safety'. Or vice versa in some liberal state ....

A school must now allow teachers to carry on the job. They are required to install gun safes at some significant expense. They are required to provide training to the 'carriers' (how to deal with a crisis situation, etc). They are required to increase their insurance coverage. Parent's sue to block these expenditures ...

Bottom line is - a substantial majority of the US population, while supporting gun ownership, don't support 'carrying' in schools (I'm willing to bet serious coin on that), and if public opinion is against it, the plan is doomed to failure. This would make 'teaching Creationism' and 'prayer in school' look like minor issues.

I guess we could have PRIVATE schools that were free to allow/disallow carrying ... so instead of the Catholic or the Baptist school, we have the 'armed' and the 'disarmed' schools. The disarmed schools would be targets of outside loonies, while the armed schools would be full of self-inflicted wounds! We could run that way for 10 years and then compare outcomes. Thank God I don't have kids ...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If my mother is to be believed, she had a teacher who used to throw the blackboard eraser at you if you got a question wrong. That was the 1950s though, you were allowed to knock the shite out of the pupils back then
Where is your mother from? I had a teacher in 'high school' (11-15 year old) who did exactly that. French teacher .. Mr Ainsworth ... in the 60s ...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Babies?

That one is iffy.
I don't think they count as personal property. Same as a wife. Can't sell those either.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Where is your mother from? I had a teacher in 'high school' (11-15 year old) who did exactly that. French teacher .. Mr Ainsworth ... in the 60s ...
Belfast. Can't remember the primary school but she went to Methodist College in Belfast for grammar school, would have been between 1956 and 1962 if my arithmetic is correct. Must have been the standard practice throughout the UK at the time!

Same school as Chris Barrie went to believe it or not.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:20 pm
WTF?

I don't think they count as personal property. Same as a wife. Can't sell those either.

He tried?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.