Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Old Oct 17th 2020, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

BennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?j

Originally Posted by Ravenscroft
Thanks for the welcomes, folk.

Yeah, it was a rough trip emotionally. I knew when I moved to the US over twenty years ago that it would be challenging when my parents reached the end of their lives, but I didn't imagine Covid in the mix.

This was my situation too. What I did was work 4-hour days and take PTO for the rest. 8am UK time is 2am CST so I was able to crank through emails and get work done in the morning, then visit my dad in the afternoon. I did have to attend some 9pm meetings that some bright spark scheduled for 3pm CST, but for the most part it went well. I couldn't sync my work Outlook account on my phone for some reason, but using a virtual private network on my laptop worked fine. The only wrinkle was that when you log in to the server at my office it sends a text message to your phone with a code that you have to enter on the laptop for authentication. I didn't want to pay for cell service while in the UK so that was a bit of a worry but I found that if I disabled all the Mobile Network settings on my phone I was still getting texts when connected to wifi. I did have a couple of charges for daily use appear on my bill with AT&T - still not sure why that happened - but they took them off without any fuss when I called them.

I'd advise checking that there isn't a waiting list. We found that there was a 7 - 10 day wait list for delivery on the Isle of Man. Not sure if that was just the Manx tradition of traa dy lioarr ("time enough", sort of a Gaelic version of manana), being on a small island, or if it's something that mainland shops also have issues with. We were lucky enough to have local friends who dropped food off outside the door.

Completely agree with previous posts about expecting a no fuss Tesco / Sainsbury delivery upon arrival back in the U.K.... my elderly parents live in the county of Kent and experience an average of 5 - 6 days wait time for delivery and even then receive about half the items ordered.... they too are relying on family and friends to assist in getting essentials. It’s really not as easy as it appears.
I wish you luck, as a football fan I would just love to join you but the reality is pretty stark as I would really advise you to research, research before making the commitment.
Old Oct 17th 2020, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?j

Originally Posted by BennyBall
...they too are relying on family and friends to assist in getting essentials. It’s really not as easy as it appears.
I wish you luck, as a football fan I would just love to join you but the reality is pretty stark as I would really advise you to research, research before making the commitment.
Thanks BB, I appreciate your point, I have 2 married kids who will drop off emergency supplies and will also pre-order a grocery list for me before we travel, if necessary. I'm aware that delivery slots for groceries have been an issue in the UK since last April. We're committed to going but we're a long way from prepared at this point. Lots to consider, but I'm an 'overthinker' type of person so we'll get there. By the way, I'm a Red. Manc born and bred.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Positive development: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/17/amer...ssengers-.html
Old Nov 18th 2020, 7:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone

Pre-flight testing is nice, but at the moment doesn't really change anyone's Christmas travel plans (or make them possible) since countries still have their own travel bans and/or quarantine requirements in place. I do doubt that that will change until vaccines are readily available and/or the infection incidence is way down.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 3:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Pre-flight testing is nice, but at the moment doesn't really change anyone's Christmas travel plans (or make them possible) since countries still have their own travel bans and/or quarantine requirements in place. I do doubt that that will change until vaccines are readily available and/or the infection incidence is way down.
Pre flight testing was not of help when NZ brought back in several hundred overseas deep sea fisherman All were supposed to have tested negative and around 15% of them subsequently tested positive whilst in dedicated quarantine here in NZ.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

If you read the rags today they are saying they expect the UK to announce a 5 day quarantine if you pay for a test after 5 days. So effectively a week as you need to wait for results.

My experience getting back into the US last week was a doddle and not even a hint of needing to quarantine!
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 1:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chins
If you read the rags today they are saying they expect the UK to announce a 5 day quarantine if you pay for a test after 5 days. So effectively a week as you need to wait for results.

My experience getting back into the US last week was a doddle and not even a hint of needing to quarantine!
Upon returning from international travel to high risk areas, of which the UK is one, we are asked to quarantine.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...r%20COVID%2D19

This is to protect others. They aren't making us - we just should.

It is one of the reasons why I won't be seeing my son at Christmas, since my OH is high risk and having my son quarantine at home therefore makes no sense.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 2:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Great!

And this sort of thinking is why much of the world is now well into a second wave that is worse than the first.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

And even though there was no "hint" for you to quarantine, did you do the decent thing and actually quarantine?
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
And even though there was no "hint" for you to quarantine, did you do the decent thing and actually quarantine?
I have followed state guidance yes. In the UK I was pretty much locked down for 2 weeks anyway and airport travel was probably safest part of my journey, Empty planes, masks etc.

Lockdown is a lot less here in the USA and is way behind UK when it comes to mitigation for everyday life. I.e. use of cash, contactless payments and home grocery delivery. I have yet to see one grocery delivery to any apartment in the complex where I live. One other observation is that fist pumping is the norm. Might as well shake hands. I suspect Thanksgiving is going to cause a massive spike. I will sit at home alone in my apartment.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55052381
Old Nov 25th 2020, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanksgiving in the US is predicted to be 10% down international traffic no doubt more so
Old Nov 25th 2020, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve been away from here for a while and have been reading this thread with interest. We’ve now been back in Scotland almost 2 and a half years. We were due to go to the USA in May and that trip was cancelled. One of our sons and his girlfriend were due to come over in the summer and that trip was cancelled. Our 2 other sons were going to come over for Christmas and their trips are now cancelled. I last saw our middle son at my Mum’s funeral in November 2019. Do I miss them? Yes. My DH and I are going to have a quiet Christmas at home, just the 2 of us. I’ve told our 3 sons that the only gift I want from them is a video phone call. I’ve already placed an order with Marks and Spencer for some yummy food. Thanks to The Queen’s Gambit it has rekindled my interest in chess and my DH and I play at 5pm each day. I go swimming between 3 and 5 times a week. Often the only people I speak to, other than my DH, are other swimmers as we get ready to swim our laps. I’m reading lots of wonderful books - just started Featherhood by Charlie Gilmour, the adopted son of Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd fame - highly recommend the book. I guess my overall message is that we are trying to make the most of a horrible situation and the global pandemic. I used to go long, long periods without seeing family when in Arizona. I’m now doing the same back in Scotland. Peace, love, light and happiness to all of you.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

JDavies17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just seen this, thought it would be on interest to post in here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rantine-covid/
Old Nov 25th 2020, 5:55 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JDavies17
Just seen this, thought it would be on interest to post in here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rantine-covid/
the information would be interesting, the link is for a paywall site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.