Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Old Oct 1st 2020, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Given the rule of six in place here in the UK not even really much point in coming this far to spend Xmas apart in most cases....
Old Oct 1st 2020, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If your sole purpose is to see family, quarantining in the same household isn't an overwhelming restriction to visiting.
No, and people seem to talk about it quite freely. Which is odd, because it means exclusively putting your own family members at risk, which for some reason I don't consider to be a workable option...

A legitimate quarantine at a location where you don't have any contact outside your travelling party would be needed to actually have the intended effect.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 2:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
.... If all flights were going in and out of the 16 initial hub airports then I would agree with you, but when you combine all the stipulations that exist plus the fact that many more US airports are now conducting UK flights, I still think demand will be scarce and they'll be plenty of opportunity to social distance onboard.
As US financial support of airlines has recently ended, you might see flights slashed even further by Christmas as airlines struggle to survive. Flying routes with 10% of seats occupied is clearly not financially viable, and without the massive subsidies many routes are not going to survive. Under that scenario I could see many routes being suspended, with only transatlantic flights from the largest US hubs in an attempt to create flights with 75%+ occupancy.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
We should have a big BE Christmas party for all of us left alone over the holidays! I would normally go home over Thanksgiving, but I'm definitely not going anywhere near Oz any time soon. It's not even clear when flights will be readily available, much less when I will feel like sitting in planes for 20+ hours.

It's all a bit shit really. On Monday, I will be missing my son's 21st birthday.

Good thing we're all trained in the stiff upper lip.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's all a bit shit really. On Monday, I will be missing my son's 21st birthday.
Oh, I'm sorry. A bit shit indeed

But I'm a big whining Australian 😭

Old Oct 3rd 2020, 2:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That's a tough one Lion. Really sorry you and LL can't be together for this

Oi you!

Although in fairness, we can whine with the best of them
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 5:15 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That's a tough one Lion. Really sorry you and LL can't be together for this

Oi you!

Although in fairness, we can whine with the best of them
Thanks. Nothing to be done about it though and at least none of us are ill or anything. I'm having him a cake delivered, we'll get the girlfriend and us into a "room" on FB, and have a chat at least while he eats cake.

But wait, whining Australians? I didn't think there was such a thing.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Oct 3rd 2020 at 5:17 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 8:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh hang on, I meant wine. We can wine with the best of them.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

sorry that you will not be together for LL 21st. I realise it is not much consolation, but at least you can have a virtual party....cooking sherry and one of hubby’s cakes at the ready.

Old Oct 3rd 2020, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh hang on, I meant wine. We can wine with the best of them.
That's more like it.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
sorry that you will not be together for LL 21st. I realise it is not much consolation, but at least you can have a virtual party....cooking sherry and one of hubby’s cakes at the ready.

Yeah, we will. Thank goodness for the internet. Other people are in a much worse situation than us.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we will. Thank goodness for the internet. Other people are in a much worse situation than us.
that’s a great way of looking at things. I keep telling myself how lucky we are being retired. We don’t have to worry about losing our jobs, or where the next meal is coming from. I do worry about my daughter. My old mum used to say ‘You never stop worrying about your children, no matter how old they are.’
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
that’s a great way of looking at things. I keep telling myself how lucky we are being retired. We don’t have to worry about losing our jobs, or where the next meal is coming from. I do worry about my daughter. My old mum used to say ‘You never stop worrying about your children, no matter how old they are.’
Very true. My son is a student, and although sensible and not a social butterfly, will have to do a certain amount of mixing due to the practical and lab elements of his course. I can't stop worrying about him, either, although he's not in any way in a high risk group.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hahahaha, oh yes. When I first arrived in Oklahoma, a Brit friend was already there in the same department. He had been stiff-upper-lipping it for two years at that point. He later admitted that he was utterly mortified upon waking every single day, but had somehow maintained the image that he was "doing fine". Then I showed up and commenced complaining about just about everything ("They smoke in bars here? What is it, the 90s?", "What do you mean we can't drink on Sunday", etc.).

Mercifully, the poor man got a job in a non-backwater the next year and the facade dropped as he almost literally ran away. My whining tapered off a little bit during my remaining two years there, but that was mostly through lack of new material. As it happens, there was quite a lot of wining as well, since the wine bar was the only bar in town where you couldn't smoke inside. Rather put an end to my interest in wine, tbh.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 10:57 pm

Hahahaha, oh yes. When I first arrived in Oklahoma, a Brit friend was already there in the same department. He had been stiff-upper-lipping it for two years at that point. He later admitted that he was utterly mortified upon waking every single day, but had somehow maintained the image that he was "doing fine". Then I showed up and commenced complaining about just about everything ("They smoke in bars here? What is it, the 90s?", "What do you mean we can't drink on Sunday", etc.).

Mercifully, the poor man got a job in a non-backwater the next year and the facade dropped as he almost literally ran away. My whining tapered off a little bit during my remaining two years there, but that was mostly through lack of new material. As it happens, there was quite a lot of wining as well, since the wine bar was the only bar in town where you couldn't smoke inside. Rather put an end to my interest in wine, tbh.

My image of Australians is them all being terribly tough all the time, partly because of all the dangerous wildlife and stuff. Things like punching sharks when you go for a quick swim seem to be the norm, that sort of thing.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Oct 3rd 2020 at 10:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.