Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Old Sep 23rd 2020, 5:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sorry to hear about your DIL, and here's to as fast and full a recovery as possible.
Much appreciated, she does seem to be on the mend.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 5:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
All the best to your DIL; I wish her a full and speedy recovery. My sister (whom I lost in May, and whose funeral I attended via video link to avoid risk to myself and the family from picking up germs traveling to the UK) was the senior staff nurse in casualty (as they called it in those days) at the BRI during the smallpox outbreak in the early sixties.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry to read about your DIL Mr L. Medical staff are continuously putting themselves at great risk during this time. I hope she makes a full recovery soon.
Thank you both very much.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Ultimately it comes down to a question of if you lived in the UK now, would you go round for Christmas as normal? If the answer is yes then fly over, quarantine for a couple weeks in isolation, then bash on. Millions who already live in the same country and are as at risk at that point (following quarantine) will no doubt be converging at a relatives for Xmas.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 4:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
Ultimately it comes down to a question of if you lived in the UK now, would you go round for Christmas as normal? If the answer is yes then fly over, quarantine for a couple weeks in isolation, then bash on. Millions who already live in the same country and are as at risk at that point (following quarantine) will no doubt be converging at a relatives for Xmas.
And this sort of asinine logic is why the daily infection rate in the UK is growing exponentially at the moment, busting through 6,000 new cases/day yesterday (Wednesday). Given the exponential growth curve, and that the British government thinks that telling pubs to close at 10pm is a helpful additional control to slow the spread, it is pretty much certain that the second wave will top-out at over 10,000 cases/day, and as was predicted by medical experts in the UK a couple of days ago, unless spread is brought under control PDQ it is going to be 50,000 cases per day by mid October.

BTW quarantining for 14 days isn't some magic ritual that protects you from catching covid, it is because you have been engaging in a behaviour that has exposed you to a significantly elevated risk of having caught the disease, and if you have caught it, quarantining won't help, it just reduces the risk of you passing it to someone else during your asymptomatic phase.

As my mother told me when I was a child, just because "everyone else" is doing something stupid doesn't mean you should do it too!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 24th 2020 at 4:10 am.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Completely aware of your last paragraph. I'd assume if someone falls ill during quarantine they'll react according and change plans.

My point was after those 14 days, your basically running the same risk by doing anything the same as everyone else living there. What those people are doing already is a different discussion. The OP was questioning the travel part, for which I pointed out how that aspect can be mitigated to a degree.

It's the same as if someone was choosing (or indeed forced) to return home. At some point, you just become local again and the fact you used to live in another country weeks ago is no longer relevant.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Even within the UK many areas have canceled family gatherings, even between just 2 households. All of Scotland, most of the NE in England and several areas of Wales already do not allow 2 households to mix indoors. This is unlikely to change before Christmas and more areas could increase restrictions in line with Scotland.

My wife's sister is currently staying with us, 1 week through a 3 week stay, and when she returns to Edinburgh we don't expect to be able to see her before next year. If N. Yorkshire implements the same restrictions currently in place in the counties immediately north of us within the next 2 weeks then she will have to leave early.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/co...ds-and-family/

https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/co...ronavirus.aspx
Old Sep 24th 2020, 11:27 am
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind me asking, what is classed as MANDATORY/ESSENTIAL in your view with regards to your trip to Asia? Only curious because the majority on this discussion board are saying that they would not travel whatsoever unless absolutely critical. Hopefully, the situation will have improved by next summer.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 1:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
If you don't mind me asking, what is classed as MANDATORY/ESSENTIAL in your view with regards to your trip to Asia? Only curious because the majority on this discussion board are saying that they would not travel whatsoever unless absolutely critical. Hopefully, the situation will have improved by next summer.
Originally Posted by penguinsix
..... We have a mandatory trip to Asia next Summer but other than that we have put off all travel. Will stay home for Christmas.
Hi P6, I think Moi is addressing her question to you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 24th 2020 at 1:27 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 10:11 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
For me I am thinking they could include:
- court appearance
- non elective medical care that could not be provided locally and what it is treating is critical, unlikely given services available in NYC metro.
- maybe a work related trip if job depended on it, and $m’s were on the line but that’s very unlikely, I have not approved a single employee trip since Feb, and if it was that essential I would not be flying comercial...

reasons I would not risk traveling for:
- visiting friends or family
- holiday
- non essential work trip
Old Sep 26th 2020, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't go. Whilst you may live in a low risk area, you will be getting on a plane for some period of time, exposed to all kinds of people from all over the place. There is no way to know if you are contagious if you are asymptomatic. Short of taking a test just before you flight and when you arrive I can't see how you can guarantee you are not going to bring covid to UK. In addition UK is starting to experience a surge in cases and is beginning to lock down parts of the country. UK is responding to Covid in typical British fashion by implementing all sorts of petty hard to understand and follow rules that are constantly changing. If you plan to go for 2 weeks you should plan to be there 2 months. A friend of mine was stuck in China for 4 months albeit that was a few months ago now. Even in the case of a death in the family I would not go.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
Please don't go. Whilst you may live in a low risk area, you will be getting on a plane for some period of time, exposed to all kinds of people from all over the place. There is no way to know if you are contagious if you are asymptomatic. Short of taking a test just before you flight and when you arrive I can't see how you can guarantee you are not going to bring covid to UK. In addition UK is starting to experience a surge in cases and is beginning to lock down parts of the country. UK is responding to Covid in typical British fashion by implementing all sorts of petty hard to understand and follow rules that are constantly changing. If you plan to go for 2 weeks you should plan to be there 2 months. A friend of mine was stuck in China for 4 months albeit that was a few months ago now. Even in the case of a death in the family I would not go.
+1

This week they released a Covid track and trace phone app. It alerts you when you are close to someone who understands the rules in the area you are in.*

*That was a joke.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

My current working assumption is that I almost certainly won't be even *thinking* about international travel any time before the end of *next* year.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Dmac_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tino
I'm curious to know why the immigration lawyers have advised against travel. What visa are you on?
I could be wrong, but the only people currently being admitted to the US are US Citizens and LPRs. That's probably why.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dmac_
I could be wrong, but the only people currently being admitted to the US are US Citizens and LPRs. That's probably why.
This is incorrect. There are restrictions on non USC/LPRs entry from certain locations (Schengen Area, UK/IE, China, Brazil, Iran) but if you have not been in these countries in the last 14 days then you are allowed entry (providing you meet all other usual entry requirements of course).

I am on L1 and left the US for 5 weeks and returned a few weeks ago.
​​
Old Sep 28th 2020, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, if I was not a USC, I probably not risk travel outside of the US. This administration has previously banned non USCs from coming in. With covid, as we have seen, things can change very fast. We had some German friends that almost did not get back in March, because the US banned all flights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.