Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Old Sep 22nd 2020, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

I've never been back to the UK for Christmas since I moved to the US. I was actually planning to be in Italy Christmas/New Year but gave up on that idea a long while ago. I'm now wondering whether my two month trip around Euro 2020 that I postponed along with that tournament until June 2021 will happen.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BennyBall
..... bottom line is that I love my folks too much to place them in that position.
My sentiments exactly.

Not that I actually have a choice, since my lot are in Oz, but I still wouldn't. I have missed a funeral and am shaping up to miss my sister's wedding. The best thing we can do to look after and celebrate each other is stay apart. Gives us all the best chance of catching up when safe and well in future.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 8:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
My sentiments exactly.

Not that I actually have a choice, since my lot are in Oz, but I still wouldn't. I have missed a funeral and am shaping up to miss my sister's wedding. The best thing we can do to look after and celebrate each other is stay apart. Gives us all the best chance of catching up when safe and well in future.
thats great when you know you will have the option to catch up later. For many its less clear cut.
All the people I love are in the UK. i'm stuck in Aus with failing eyesight, possibly blind before I can travel home again. So I am unlikely to ever see anyone again unless I ravel now - and the government refuses to let me
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kooky.
I don't consider the UK home and haven't spent Christmas there for more years than I can remember (well before we left in 2002) but personally, though I am desperate to see my Dad, I won't be going until things improve on both sides of the pond. I'm also on a temporary visa and two immigration lawyers have advised against leaving the country.

That said, I know an increasing number of airlines are offering no-fee changes, and some full cancellations so, if that's what's putting some of you off booking, look into that. For reasons with which I won't bore you, we have just booked some fully refundable flights with Delta.
I'm curious to know why the immigration lawyers have advised against travel. What visa are you on?

I left the country in July and returned in September via non-schengen route and was permitted entry fine.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 11:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've lost count of the emails I've had from various airlines about no change fees - that could be one of them (as I have an account) so worth a look.

edit: To clarify, the flights I've booked are not to the UK.
the ‘she’ I referred to was moi...she stated she wanted to fly from The NJ/NYC area to Manchester.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 22nd 2020 at 6:20 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
thats great when you know you will have the option to catch up later. For many its less clear cut.
All the people I love are in the UK. i'm stuck in Aus with failing eyesight, possibly blind before I can travel home again. So I am unlikely to ever see anyone again unless I ravel now - and the government refuses to let me
Well, there's an awful lot that can happen between now and whenever I am able to go back (with them and with me). So I'm not counting any chickens
It's also the hugs that are most important.

Can't you not even repatriate from Oz? I can understand them wanting to limit people leaving and coming back, but not letting people leave one-way?
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

No change fees are great if your airline still exists when you are able and want to fly down the road. But I certainly wasn't going to take airlines' stupid vouchers for the raft of flights they cancelled on me this past summer. Thankfully all my credit card chargebacks succeeded.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 5:49 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
I'm curious to know why the immigration lawyers have advised against travel. What visa are you on?

I left the country in July and returned in September via non-schengen route and was permitted entry fine.
E3. Could be fine, just not prepared to risk it. (Company's immi lawyer advised not to, got independent advice and that was similar.)

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
the ‘she’ I referred to was priceycheese...she stated she wanted to fly from The NJ/NYC area to Manchester.
Understood - I was just saying it's worth checking if you're determined to go. moi cited this as a concern.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
No change fees are great if your airline still exists when you are able and want to fly down the road. But I certainly wasn't going to take airlines' stupid vouchers for the raft of flights they cancelled on me this past summer. Thankfully all my credit card chargebacks succeeded.
Yes it's a bit scary. We initially took credits for all our cancelled trips but eventually I applied for and got full refunds. (With the ones I've just booked, that we hope not to use, not our money.) As for the half a million Qantas points we have banked up, we were advised months ago to spend those in the online shop. But it's Oz based so all I'd be doing was buying presents for friends there.

The annual travel insurance was a bit of a write-off.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

I know people here in the US who have died after contracting this from asymptomatic family members, and there's no way I'm willing to risk killing my own family members in the same way.

I can see my family next year, once there's vaccines out on the market and this is all hopefully (somewhat) under control.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Understood - I was just saying it's worth checking if you're determined to go. moi cited this as a concern.
When we lived in NJ, I used to fly regularly from Newark/Manchester. It is now the only non stop flight from the New York/New Jersey area. A couple of times I have flown via Heathrow, but it puts hours on the journey. When I fly on the red eye the last thing I want is to hang around a busy airport, waiting for another flight, which may or may not be cancelled.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 6:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to my DIL by FaceTime Sunday, she is a sister at Bradford Royal Infirmary A&E. She was recovering from COVID. By her own accounts she didn't get it too bad, if that wasn't too bad I would hate to see what someone who was bad looked like. Not only does she work on the front line, she and my son have two little ones 5 & 2, so she is on the go all the time normally, and quite full of energy and life. She looked absolutely worn out and semi collapsed on the sofa and I was shocked by how worn out she looked, and was still struggling to breathe.

Anyway the reason for mentioning that, is having seen and spoken with someone who is recovering from a "mild" case of COVID, it has reinforced my view point, similar to Pulaski's, that nothing comes close to being essential enough to risk getting COVID. Going back just because I haven't been for two years, doesn't even warrant consideration.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 6:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in NJ, I used to fly regularly from Newark/Manchester. It is now the only non stop flight from the New York/New Jersey area. A couple of times I have flown via Heathrow, but it puts hours on the journey. When I fly on the red eye the last thing I want is to hang around a busy airport, waiting for another flight, which may or may not be cancelled.
Normally I would agree with you. But on the present schedules PDX to MAN is a best 21 hours, to LHR best is 13 hours. I can drive from LHR to N Yorkshire and be there before I've got to Manchester. I'm sure unless people are close the Newark, others face a similar dilemma. Not that I have any intention of going anywhere,
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 6:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by lansbury
Normally I would agree with you. But on the present schedules PDX to MAN is a best 21 hours, to LHR best is 13 hours. I can drive from LHR to N Yorkshire and be there before I've got to Manchester. I'm sure unless people are close the Newark, others face a similar dilemma. Not that I have any intention of going anywhere,
but moi lives in NJ and wishes to travel to Manchester. Direct flight takes around 6 1/2 hrs.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 6:27 pm

but moi lives in NJ and wishes to travel to Manchester. Direct flight takes around 6 1/2 hrs.
I realized that. I wasn't clear I wasn't talking specifically about moi, but about getting to UK regional airports in the current scheduling mess.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Covid may be breaking our historically recent addiction to cheap long distance travel.
My mother had siblings who emigrated to the USA and to New Zealand. My father had asister who emigrated to Melbourne. None of them considered visiting the "Old Country" after settling, Of course cost was the principal factor. I am told that pre-1939 a passage to the USA cost the equivalent of a year's waged for a skilled worker. i suspect that was the case right up to the 1970s.

Perhaps Covid-19 is bring us back to Normality ?

Last edited by scot47; Sep 22nd 2020 at 7:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.